Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Combat system: three big changes to solve the problem of being locked into long animations
- Every button press mapped to a single strike
- Each move takes a roughly equivalent time to perform
- Can always interrupt your current action to immediately dodge or block

- One idea: players could access their long-term storage stash from their horse as well as from inns
OMG it's awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwesome

Day one enhanced edition purchase.

Didn't Skyrim costed 100 million dollars to make? They are making not only one openworld game but two openworld games, how they did found so much potatoes to finance two huge projects?
As Dexter noted, it's all about the exchange rate. Skyrim and Witcher 2 were both made by teams of about 100 but Witcher 2 gets to be much cheaper in US dollars. So of course they want those multiplatform American dollars when $60 is 185 PLN considering new games in Poland are 90 PLN (yeah they don't get the entire $60 but still).

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
Combat system: three big changes to solve the problem of being locked into long animations
- Every button press mapped to a single strike
- Each move takes a roughly equivalent time to perform
- Can always interrupt your current action to immediately dodge or block

- One idea: players could access their long-term storage stash from their horse as well as from inns
OMG it's awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwesome

Day one enhanced edition purchase.

Didn't Skyrim costed 100 million dollars to make? They are making not only one openworld game but two openworld games, how they did found so much potatoes to finance two huge projects?
As Dexter noted, it's all about the exchange rate. Skyrim and Witcher 2 were both made by teams of about 100 but Witcher 2 gets to be much cheaper in US dollars. So of course they want those multiplatform American dollars when $60 is 185 PLN considering new games in Poland are 90 PLN (yeah they don't get the entire $60 but still).
It really depends on a game, a lot of the new AAA+++ titles are sold for more than 100 PLN. I remember cases when it was cheaper for me to grab a UK release from British Amazon instead of buying the localized version, new Blizzard games are NEVER cheap, etc.

Bruticis

Found a few mag scans floating around
the-witcher-3-screenshot-3.jpg

the-witcher-3-screenshot-4.jpg

the-witcher-3-screenshot-1.jpg

the-witcher-3-screenshot-5.jpg

the-witcher-3-screenshot-2.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I like. Let's just hope they get the horse animations right because I can probably count on one hand how many games did.

Gerrard

Arcane
I like how they think "20% bigger than Skyrim" is impressive.

If they said "20% smaller than Just Cause 2" then we'd have something.

Bruticis

It appears to be in game, yes. Looks like they are still using speedtree which is horrible.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Why is SpeedTree horrible? Those trees look great to me. Best-looking part of that screenshot.

As predicted, game is graphically stunning, will probably be a dumbed down hack and slash with boobs. I'm sure it'll still be good but yeah, I don't think this will compete even come close to competing with Skyrim in terms of RPG mechanics.

Bruticis

I don't find SpeedTree to look realistic at all. They may look OK in screenshots but while playing they look terrible as soon as you get close to them.

Like Morrowind, for example. It's a much smaller landmass than something like Skyrim

No it isn't.

Yes it is: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1264541-skyrimoblivionmorrowind-heightmap-comparison/
So much for the "world is getting smaller and smaller with each installment" narrative:(
For some reason Morrowind feels bigger to me. Maybe because of the slow walking speed lol.

Skyrim and Oblivion are 99% literal open world with no major obstacles, so you can literally go from point A to point B, pointing yourself in the right direction and placing an item to hold down the forward key. Morrowind is a labyrinthian series of passages through mountains, so the actual time you'll spend navigating is much longer.

I don't find SpeedTree to look realistic at all. They may look OK in screenshots but while playing they look terrible as soon as you get close to them.
The point isn't to look realistic. The point is to be fast because lol consoles.

The trees in that screenshot look much better than normal though. But that may be because Next Gen™ consoles are being developed for now

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Skyrim and Oblivion are 99% literal open world with no major obstacles, so you can literally go from point A to point B, pointing yourself in the right direction and placing an item to hold down the forward key. Morrowind is a labyrinthian series of passages through mountains, so the actual time you'll spend navigating is much longer.
It's exactly the opposite. In Morrowind you can just cast Levitate and take a beeline to wherever you want to go. It's Skyrim where the mountains are constantly blocking your way and you have to take the same tediously long paths all the time.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Who cares about the trees, anyway? Just symptomatic about what's wrong with games today: too much focus on REALIZTIK GRAPHUXXX meanwhile you'll probably end up running around on delineated paths. My guess is it'll be about as 'open world' as Amalur which is acceptable for a circa 2005ish MMORPG but not a 2013 single player ARPG. I'd rather have trees that looked like shit but meaningful exploration.

hiver

I don't think this will compete even come close to competing with Skyrim in terms of RPG mechanics.
Im kinda curious what you mean by this exactly?

I presume you refer to secondary RPG mechanics, right? Like different skills, weapons, few different kinds of magic and so on?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
:troll:

I would never imagine that this phrase could be uttered on the codex. 2013: Skyrim sets the bar to be beat.
I'm serious too. The Witcher 2 was... not good at all, as an RPG, even if I thought it was a good game overall. I don't see this being any better, especially given CD Projekt are primarily concerned with boob rendering these days.

I presume you refer to secondary RPG mechanics, right? Like different skills, weapons, few different kinds of magic and so on?
Yeah. The Witcher 2 had a decent skill tree, but all the stats were abstracted out to the point where you didn't even have to partake in the character system, just roll around a lot and pick a sword with more damage numbers on it. The speech skills were a joke, you use one enough times and get better at it to the point where it always works, forcing you to just pick the same option every time. Even the alchemy system was dumbed down a bit. At least Skyrim has decent perks, skill leveling, choice of attributes to increase, and less black-and-white equipment system. It's a pretty low bar, although I only brought it up because CD Projekt seem very eager to compare their game to Skyrim directly.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, how much do you want to bet that Witcher 3's install directory will mysteriously contain Gamebryo-specific file names and directories? :troll:

It's exactly the opposite. In Morrowind you can just cast Levitate and take a beeline to wherever you want to go. It's Skyrim where the mountains are constantly blocking your way and you have to take the same tediously long paths all the time.

I'm just considering walking time. Otherwise we have to also consider fast travel, which makes Skyrim and Oblivion seem pathetic (Hell, Daggerfall too, and is anyone going to complain that Daggerfall is small?). Though if you want to go 100% exploit then Morrowind takes the cake with 1000 acrobatics potions.

:troll:

I would never imagine that this phrase could be uttered on the codex. 2013: Skyrim sets the bar to be beat.
I'm serious too. The Witcher 2 was... not good at all, as an RPG, even if I thought it was a good game overall. I don't see this being any better, especially given CD Projekt are primarily concerned with boob rendering these days.

Ohh I agree, I just think that if you need to reach as low as Skyrim you should just give up on the RPG label entirely. Might as well say that the next CoD is in danger of being slightly less of an RPG than Skyrim.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would play an open world witcher game even if it was a straight TPSlasher game. It's like a fullfilment of all my dreams from back when I was 14 years old. I am still hoping for some decent RPG mechanics, though, even if 90% of them comes from item management, as I don't have much hope for a decent character system anymore, after the two misses in TW1 and TW2.

Although if there actually is level-scaling in the game, someone will be burned alive.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

I'm just considering walking time. Otherwise we have to also consider fast travel, which makes Skyrim and Oblivion seem pathetic (Hell, Daggerfall too, and is anyone going to complain that Daggerfall is small?). Though if you want to go 100% exploit then Morrowind takes the cake with 1000 acrobatics potions.

Which you had to earn it by working on your skill. Fast travel and Quest compass are cheats for fat Kwan consoltards with 5 minutes long attention spam. :decline:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gothic 1+2 and even Risen beat any game made by Bethesda. It depends how much I'll like it if they decide to go the carefully hand-crafted and thought-through Open World style with interesting characters and quests like Piranha Bytes or the "let's fill everything with dragons and caves and shit, even if it's all boring" of Bethesda.

And yet which is incredibly more successful at attracting players?

Looking at Skyrim's sales and MMOs in general I think it is obvious people want quantity over quality when it comes to RPGs. Can't blame CDPR for responding to what people want really, though I guess that has nothing to do with what we wish they did.

Though honestly I thought Skyrim was a step in the right direction for Bethesda and reasonably varied and well designed (world wise).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom