Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Witcher 3 "Precious Cargo" Gameplay Video

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Here's the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay video for this weekend. This one has an amusing story behind it, having originally been posted on Microsoft's Xbox YouTube channel despite clearly being PC footage. The video is a demonstration of a side quest called "Precious Cargo", in which Geralt takes on a job to recover a box belonging to a merchant whose cart had been ambushed by monsters on the road. It quickly becomes clear that things aren't as simple as they seem...

Dammit though, that choice he made at the end. BROche would not have approved.

Angthoron

Arcane
Didn't Nilfgaard have a Teutonic-style accent before? What's with the sudden dose of Cousin Niko?

Other than that, and the console interface, looks good.

hiver

:rubbs hands:

:stretches shoulders:

Apparently, according to some dev on witcher forums, it is an early quest in opening area - and because some players might not pay any attention to it, they dumbed it down completely.

Because there MIGHT BE some players who will play the game while paying no attention to what they are doing.

Its execution and narrative points are one of the dumbest ive ever seen. Baring quests in Wasteland 2 which are again stupider then anything bethesda and bioware ever done.
- ninja edit- hmm... maybe i was wrong there. It would be more fair to say its a tie between this, W2 and Facepalm 3.

A guy pretending he is a merchant but is really a guerrilla soldier is waiting by a road, after he killed some cart driver from an ambush, in order to get his box of medical supplies.
This is your hook into the further quest about some disease affecting everyone in that area. (which is ok as an idea)

The medicine was going to some Nilfgard garrison.

So, after he kills that cart driver, the horses panic and run away into a nearby swamp... because thats horses do, they just love swamps so much. Especially when they are frightened or panicking because in such cases horses go to even scarier place!
How he killed the horse in the swamp is a mystery. Maybe he ran after them. Because people run as fast as horses.
maybe he just shot them and the cart driver and then the horses ran into a swamp!
Because thats what horses do.

But he couldnt get the loot because some drowners appeared.

So, genius as he is he decided to just go back about 20 meters put an exclamation mark over his head and wait for some Witcher to arrive. Because that's what you do when you telepathically know that a Witcher will be passing there randomly.
- edit - and obviously thats what you do when you are trying to get medicine for your friends who are sick from some mysterious deadly plague. -
Of course he also knew that those "monsters" will not come and just kill him - because he knows their disengagement range.

Here comes Geralt as he knew he would as he waited indefinitely.
and stops to investigate the strange magic exclamation sign over the guys head.

He pretends he is the owner of the cart and it was his horse and loot but he got attacked by monsters.
Of course Geralt just buys this and says "yeah ill go get your box".
Because thats what Witchers do.

Up pops the quest compass showing Geralt where all of it is and enemies waiting. In this game the quest and item compass has been integrated into Geralt himself as his "senses".
He goes there, kills a few drowners and then starts talking to himself - or really the player, telling the player what to look for and what to do and what it all means.

There is a giant arrow sticking out of the horse with an icon to click on it.
Once you click on it - the Geralt tells the player what that means.

"An arrow, interesting, didnt mention this. I should take a look around."

In case of the body his comments are more appropriate since you cannot see the details of that wound yourself - and he doesnt tell you what that actually means. Atleast at first.
Im not sure how come that the body of the cart driver is also in a swamp, with an arrow wound in his neck, but no arrow. Maybe the drowners ate it.

"Square in the neck, good shot."
And then you get a flashy "Quest updated!" sign.

"Either the merchants got serious memory issues, or hes lying"
Says Geralt then.

Uses the quest-item compass senses to find a box and get another "quest updated!" flashy sign.

He comes back to the guy.

The guy who thought its a smart thing to lie to a Witcher saying it was his cart and horses that got killed by monsters - while knowing fully well that the horse and the driver were there to be found, with his arrows sticking out of them (except the one drowners ate).
And he has a big bow strapped to his back, knowing full well that isnt enough for anyone to figure it out. Because there MIGHT BE some players who are so fucking stupid.

He tries to lie again but Geralt isnt buying it... because he can hear his heart sudenly... ?
But he couldnt hear it the first time.

Then the guy just runs away as Geral stupidly stands in place and watches that mini cutscene.
Luckily the magical radar on the minimap is showing where the guy is going all the time and he has a much slower horse.

Geralt catches up
time automatically slows down :lol:

Geral takes just one swing with a sword, doesnt even hit the guy... :lol:

And we get a cutscene, in which Geral can decide to take the guy to that garrison or just let him go - because.
Then another cutscene where Geralt and the "prisoner" are teleported god knows where, into that Nilfgardian camp, with the guy completely free and even with his bow still strapped to his back.
Geralt talks and talks with the guards, the guy just stands there with a stupid face,
not doing anything, except making stupid faces as his only facial animation.

Geralt opts to ask for money for his service of catching a killer and bringing the medicine to a sick garrison,
The soldier calls him greedy because of it.

:gumpyhead:

10/10 gaem of the year

citizen Kaine of RPGs
:bravo:

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't Nilfgaard have a Teutonic-style accent before? What's with the sudden dose of Cousin Niko?

Other than that, and the console interface, looks good.

They had those accents in Witcher 2 also. Witcher 1's two Nilfgaardian characters, Leuvaarden and Roderick De Wett, did sound kind of German though.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Started recently witcher2(not my 1st try, controlling character annoys me a lot) and I have 1 question in regards to my experience and released videos...

In w3, can Geralt... jump?
Apparently, yes: "Additionally, Geralt can now jump, climb, and vault over smaller obstacles."

Modron

Arcane
Started recently witcher2(not my 1st try, controlling character annoys me a lot) and I have 1 question in regards to my experience and released videos...

Apparently, yes: "Additionally, Geralt can now jump, climb, and vault over smaller obstacles."

Ugh, never good when they describe moving over something as vaulting, usually it means fixed points on specific objects. Oh well game needed more gears of war influence right?

Zeriel

Arcane

Ugh, never good when they describe moving over something as vaulting, usually it means fixed points on specific objects. Oh well game needed more gears of war influence right?

Not always, Dishonored and plenty of other games had a 'mantle' key that just automatically vaulted over any obstacle, it wasn't prescripted.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Check-listing quest design to the extreme. Follow the radar to one area, run down the list of things the game explicitly tells you to do, go back to the quest giver and have the game solve the mystery on its own without any input from the player.

What if you missed the arrow because it wasn't bright red, sticking straight up, accompanied by a button prompt, and never realized the quest giver was a schemer, only to find out later when the guys at the camp start asking where their medical supplies went? But no, no, then players would get angry because they missed content, can't have that.

Cadmus

Arcane
I havent been paying any attention, is there an option to disable all quest compass and shit like Expert mode for PoE? If so, how does it work?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The premise of the quest does hold up, dude puts an arrow in the driver's neck, driver slumps over, yanks the reins, horses panic, veer off, end up in the swamp. So far so good.

What happens after that though is a complete joke. Dragon Age? Elder Scrolls? Please. Both of those are positively ultra hardcore roguelikes compared to this farce. This is on par with ever dumber shit like Assassin Creed or Thiaf. Press X for Eagle Eye to display all interaction points, activate all of them, go back to quest giver, get reward.

I really hope this is an exception to the rule because if CDPR shat all over the rest of the game too W3 will turn out to be the biggest debacle since like Daikatana.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I really hope this is an exception to the rule because if CDPR shat all over the rest of the game too W3 will turn out to be the biggest debacle since like Daikatana.

:lol: Daikatana? Why not E.T. for Atari?

This kind of design is par for the course for console RPGs and pretty much the same sort of thing you'd see in Witcher 2. If there's a debacle it won't be because of this.

hiver

Infinitron to the Dev Defense!

Ta -ta-taTAAaaaa!

No it wont be a debacle, but its subquests most likely will have enough of these nonsense setups to make me cringe very hard.

No, i would want them to be made so they dont fall apart logically at the first thought applied.

The quest compass sucks whether its the special senses, or dialogue box that does it. Mechanic for casual players who MIGHT not pay any attention to what they are doing or seeing.

The premise of the quest does hold up, dude puts an arrow in the driver's neck, driver slumps over, yanks the reins, horses panic, veer off, end up in the swamp. So far so good.
Proclamation time?

Because thats what horses do in movies right? Go where its fitting for the script. Having a choice between clear road ahead and a dark swamp on the side, the horses instinctively prefer the swamps.
Nice addition of that "driver yanks the rains" schtick too, i can just see it. In a John Wayne movie. Because thats what people do when they get an arrow through their neck suddenly. Yanking the rains usually means stop or slow down, if you didnt know.

Cadmus
apparently there are options to toggle off a lot of that crap, but who knows what exactly...

Last edited by a moderator:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

:lol: Daikatana? Why not E.T. for Atari?

This kind of design is par for the course for console RPGs and pretty much the same sort of thing you'd see in Witcher 2. If there's a debacle it won't be because of this.

Daikatana is the Citizen Kane of debacles that's why.

And unless Mr. Alzheimer came much sooner than I expected there's nothing even remotely that offensive in Witcher 2, let alone W1.

Another Gothic 3? Or Th3if? Or Fallout 3?

Gothic 3 was a different animal, it bombed because it was released in pre-alpha not because it was dumbed down to all fucks.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know what you expected with even PoE having meh quests and standard being set by F03 and Skyrim. I expect fun to play :popamole:with Tits and no SJW-ing not serious RPG and so far I am not dis-pointed.

hiver

The more serious deeper quests will be probably good, from bits we`ve seen. Its not panic mode, i was just saying.
I mean, it is done in the way it is but atleast it has content, that can veer off in few ways and the hook for bigger issue, plus faction reputation of sorts, and quest lines.

Wish they would cut that crap with greed about just getting paid for everything you do for everyone, what the f?
They go for that cliche instead of having fun with it.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Im sure in a year or two after game is released EE edition of Witcher 3 will fix all the issues.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't worry, folks.
I'm sure W3 will have plenty of content and a richly detailed world.
Btyx9CsCEAEY29D.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom