Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher The Witcher - A New Saga Begins

None

Scholar
I'm not too well versed in the who's-who of the studio. Who from Witcher 1/2/3 are left to make this new game? Or is it a relatively new crew?

New crew. Most of Witcher 3 devs left.

Most of Witcher 1 devs were in fact laid off after the success of the first game due to the financial crisis of 2008.
Too bad. Witcher 3 wasn't exactly a masterpiece, but if we're dealing with a new and inexperienced group then the chances of this new game being equal or better to 3 seems unlikely. Oh well.

Salvo

Arcane
I'm not too well versed in the who's-who of the studio. Who from Witcher 1/2/3 are left to make this new game? Or is it a relatively new crew?
CD Projekt has had, since Witcher 3's production, an extremely high turnover rate. There was a time period, a couple years ago, where A LOT of games had the "made from ex-cd projekt devs" tag attached to it as a way to piggyback off Witcher's 3 success

Don't expect the same polish (heh) from the company in its present state

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
CDProjekt aggressively trying to rest on their laurels after Cyberpunk failed spectacularly and absolutely hilariously + the partnership with Epic Games is going to be one hell of a spectacle.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I wouldnt mind a game centered on Ciri, continuing the ending where she becomes a Witcher with Geralt. That being said, her powers in Witcher 3 were demonstrated to be immense and overpowered for the game world where the games are set, tho they would open a bunch of opportunities to jump between worlds and give us unique environments to explore.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I'd prefer a setting with more monsters and dangers. A generally darker and tenser atmosphere that focuses more on slaying monsters, saving people, lifting curses, investigating spooky fairy tales, etc. And please no lengthy introspection of my characters feelings. A main character that comes after the likes of Geralt, Garett, JC Denton, Nameless hero from Gothic would be great. I am sure that slavic mythology still has relatively unknown yet enchanting stories left that could be adapted and integrated into the setting. The Witcher 3 and DLCs showed that they can do stories like that.

coldaqua

Novice
Best case scenario is that they take some surface level ideas like not placing a random "activity" every few steps but I highly doubt they will be able to replicate any significant portion of the elden ring formula.

Only time will tell if CDPR has the balls to do something that might ostracise casuals, but at the very least I hope they drop quest markers. Just give the player a compass, map, and maybe a journal for essential information.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Not really interested in Ciri, she is fine as a secondary character but I dont buy her as a protagonist. The whole thing I like about the Witcher is playing as a lone wolf guy outsider, rejected by normies, roaming the country side fucking whores, killing monsters and telling people to fuck off or they get their head detached from the rest. I dont see how the soylent potato writers paid in cents that CDPR will hire will manage to make an already uninteresting character less uninteresting.

If CDPR isnt cinically using Ciri to brownose journos again for another fraudulent marketing campaign. Of course, assuming this will be even playable at launch.

MasPingon

Arcane
I've never been less excited for new Witcher game, after what happened with CDPR. This game is dead on arrival. No Geralt, who as a character was the lens through which we observed the events taking place
in the Saga nad Games is retarded idea. Many people, especially those who haven't read books, underestimate his meaning in The Witcher. It's like watching Batman movie without Batman - Geralt is The Witcher and central character in this universe. CDPR taken over by woke crowd and not one old crew member left are nails in coffin. I predict this will share The Witcher series fate - no gritty Witcher atmosphere, the shell of characters we knew and love and political correcteness is what we will get from them. The Witcher needs developer like From Software, CDPR at current state isn't capable of doing anything of worth, their balls drop off.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
With Starfield not due to be released until late this year, nearly two full years after Cyberpunk 2077, CDPR has ample opportunity to complete an Open World Witcher game with a customizable protagonist well before Bethesda manages to finish an Elder Scrolls VI. :M

I hope they learn to properly design an open-world this time around instead of copying Ubisoft's shitty formula and drop Diablo-like itemisation, though I guess that would be too fabulously optimistic of me.
The success of Elden Ring increases the chance that other developers divert from the Ubisoft open world system. The new Witcher game seems early enough in development to be influenced by that.
I thought the same when Zelda: Breath Of The Wild was released, but only few devs actually followed that open world design philosophy, I guess it takes competence to properly make a decent open-world game.

Naraya

Arcane
Merchandise is already being sold:

rEysspQ.jpeg

Gargaune

Magister
If the protagonist is a witcher I'd rather play an original character, doesn't even have to be customizable
Just don't make it Ciri
Tough luck, you're getting The Witcher (4): Ciri does Redania. Hey, maybe that's why they went to Unreal - to protect the new Empress from her inevitable... heh, modded new clothes.

RepHope

Savant
The Game Director worked on W3 (and Gwent so you can count on that showing up): https://twitter.com/slamatwoflags/status/1505950165584150529?s=21
The Acting Campaign Director worked on W3: https://twitter.com/phiweber/status/1505947816581124108?s=21
There’s a few W3 devs still working on the Cyberpunk expansion which will move over to W4 after that wraps I expect

thelegend

Learned
I hope they make it similar to Witcher 1 in terms of side quests and impactful decisions. Witcher 1 has the best story and best character interactions and best/most impactful choices and best romance features. Witcher 2 is no less in this aspect But i found the first part more interesting.
(Even though witcher 1 had the worst combat system)

None

Scholar
What makes Geralt appealing?
He's what the average boy wants to grow up to be: a hero who is popular with women. I figure his general lack of emotions helps players insert themselves as well. Probably also helps autists relate, which in the video game industry isn't a bad thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom