Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher - an announcement announced

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

Aside from boasting about having sold 600,000 copies of <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com>The Witcher</a> worldwide, <a href=http://www.cdprojekt.com>CD Projekt</a> <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=10388.msg240178>announced</a> that... they'll announce something big on Monday.
<br>
<blockquote>Adam Kiciñski also hints at the developer&#8217;s plans for the near future: &#8220;Our plans include continuous game support, the release of the powerful Djinni module editor, the continued release of game updates and patches, and, in late spring, gamers can expect a pretty big surprise, which will be revealed at a press conference really soon &#8211; February 18th! We are still working on making the game better and we will actively support our fan community, which is getting bigger and bigger. Unfortunately I can&#8217;t reveal anything further at this time, but I assure you that we won&#8217;t rest on our laurels and we have very promising plans for the future. We set our standards very high with The Witcher and we surely don&#8217;t want to lower them in the future.&#8221;</blockqoute>
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
Is it a sequel? An expansion? A MMO version? A console port? The date of a future announcement? Do we care? Discuss!
<br>
<br>
The date coincides with the <a href=http://www.gdconf.com/>Game Developers Conference</a> in San Francisco, so the press conference will likely take place there. In other news, the recently renamed D'jinni <strike>toolset</strike> mod editor is still going to be released "soon".
<br>
<br>
<b>Edit:</b>: The press release also curiously mentions that "CD Projekt RED consists of 70 people working on two unannounced projects."
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=10388.msg240178">CD Projekt</A>

Oarfish

Prophet
600K is really damn good for an RPG by an unknown dev team who use funny letters. Hopefully, they will move things in a positive direction rather than falling back to Diablo-With-Tits.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Our plans include continuous game support, the release of the powerful Djinni module editor, the continued release of game updates and patches, and, in late spring, gamers can expect a pretty big surprise, which will be revealed at a press conference really soon – February 18th!

So, from this I gather it's not about:

- Another Patch.
- The editor.

And I think it says it will be released in late spring, which means around June-July. Too soon for an expansion pack, I think... Maybe they'll go multi-platform. Anyway, we shall know on Monday.

Hory

Erudite
Thanks for announcing the announcement of the future announcement.

dragonfk

Erudite
Elhoim said:
Our plans include continuous game support, the release of the powerful Djinni module editor, the continued release of game updates and patches, and, in late spring, gamers can expect a pretty big surprise, which will be revealed at a press conference really soon – February 18th!

So, from this I gather it's not about:

- Another Patch.
- The editor.

And I think it says it will be released in late spring, which means around June-July. Too soon for an expansion pack, I think...

Console port and an annoucement for upcoming expansion sometime at the end of the year. I guess.

Ausir

Arcane
Maybe project 1 is The Witcher expansion and project 2 is The Witcher for X360?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Ausir said:
Is it a sequel? An expansion? A MMO version? A console port? The date of a future announcement?
Support of Kosovo's independence that is supposed to be declared on monday too? :lol:

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
The sequel should have something like MOTB's spirit eater mechanic, except Geralt can slowly succumb to the ravages of syphillis. He has to screw virgins to keep it at bay, spreading the disease across the countryside.

Ausir

Arcane
Walkin' Dude said:
The sequel should have something like MOTB's spirit eater mechanic, except Geralt can slowly succumb to the ravages of syphillis. He has to screw virgins to keep it at bay, spreading the disease across the countryside.

Witchers are immune to STDs.

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
I have not read any of the books, and have not yet played the game (still finishing MOTB). Is that canon, or are you just blowing smoke up my ass?

Ausir

Arcane
It is canon. The witchers are sterile and immune to most human diseases thanks to their mutations. Which is part of why all the women want to sleep with them.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Now you see how this cards business actually totally makes sense from the setting's point of view. For once your hero has other powers than only combat-oriented ones, I think you should stop whining and accept this novelty in game-design.

sheek

Arbiter
Oarfish said:
600K is really damn good for an RPG by an unknown dev team who use funny letters. Hopefully, they will move things in a positive direction rather than falling back to Diablo-With-Tits.
But have they broken even? How many do they need to break even?

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Serious_Business said:
Now you see how this cards business actually totally makes sense from the setting's point of view. For once your hero has other powers than only combat-oriented ones, I think you should stop whining and accept this novelty in game-design.

I am not complaining.

8008135 Lawl!!!

dragonfk

Erudite
sheek said:
Oarfish said:
But have they broken even? How many do they need to break even?

I think that developers said that creating the game costed them 20,000,000 złotych ~ 5,600,000 euro.

In Poland the game is selled for 100 złotych ~ 28 euro, so
income costs
16,800,000 <-> 5,600,000

They are definitly even :lol: and taking into account that in countries other than Poland The Witcher cost more than 28 euro, they've earned even more.

Ausir

Arcane
By the way, they might announce something not related directly to the game. Some time ago they bought the rights to the old Witcher comics/graphic novels based on Sapkowski's short stories and will be re-releasing them, along with a new series of graphic novels based on Sapkowski's witcher novels. Maybe they'll announce that they're going to publish them worldwide? See:

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Graphic_novels

I think that developers said that creating the game costed them 20,000,000 złotych ~ 5,600,000 euro.

In Poland the game is selled for 100 złotych ~ 28 euro, so
income costs
16,800,000 <-> 5,600,000

They are definitly even :lol: and taking into account that in countries other than Poland The Witcher cost more than 28 euro, they've earned even more.

Not all of that money goes to them. It also goes to stores, to foreign publishers, etc.

Texas Red

Whiner
I hope they will go for the time tested, fool proof plan of first developing a succesful PC game and then going consoles with a sequel. That's the only way to survive in this biz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom