Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News The Witcher Enhanced Edition announced

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
These are very good news. I would never expect them to do so much work and add so many things. All aspects that bothered me a bit with the original game are being addressed. This is exactly how game developers should work if they want to establish themselves. I wish Troika would have thought that way...

Strange how they'll not include one of Sarpowski's books, though.

Ausir

Arcane
Troika did not self-fund the development of their games.

Strange how they'll not include one of Sarpowski's books, though.

The game will be released worldwide, and in each country a different publisher (or none) has the rights to publish the books.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Here are the most important changes!

*By that I mean level loading times, which will be reduced by 80%, the stability of the game on different configurations,

*First and foremost, the English language version will be, for the most part, completely re-done. The amount of text in that version was reduced compared to other language versions and that was said to cause a significant decrease in immersion and atmosphere. Now the English version will be as polished and atmospheric as the other language versions.

*Speaking of language versions, most of them will be more or less improved. Significant changes will also be made in the German version, where we are planning to re-record the voices for many of the characters.

*Over 50 new supporting character models will be added, so that the player won't run into the same person too often.

*The inventory panel will be re-designed and improved

*Both Geralt and the NPCs will get over 100 new animated gestures which will make their "body language" during a conversation much more natural. Additionally, the face animation and lip-sync system will be re-created, making the faces of the speakers now even more natural as well.

Fuck me, isn't this an exemplary patch? [hopefyly it'll be available in a patch, not only in the new edition!]

Rondel.

Novice
For people who are not sure about free download of enhancements:

All expanded content would be downloadable for people with registered game.

Cytat: fgrobste Dzisiaj o 17:57:14
hmm will the enhanced game cost more money that's the big question ... Embarrassed

The final prices are still being negotiated with publishers.
Source: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.p ... #msg242008

And, there was update to the announcement:
Adam Kiciński – the head of CD Projekt RED spoke about publishing and the availability of the Enhanced Edition in different parts of the world: "Our goal is to make the Enhanced Edition available to all players all over the world. Of course, in the end, that depends on our publishers with whom we are currently negotiating. I believe that thanks to the interest shown by players, it will be possible to convince publishers worldwide to release the game in conjunction with the premiere in Eastern Europe, that is May 16. This is important because aside from improvements to the game itself, this edition is also to be improved in terms of how it's released, which for the most part depends more on the publishers than us, the authors. For example, aside from the game DVD, we are planning to include a DVD with a Mod Editor D'jinii, as well as two additional adventures, a video DVD with extended material concerning the making of the game, a music CD with 29 tracks from the game, a music CD with 15 tracks of music inspired by the game, an 80-page instruction booklet, a 112-page official guide written by the authors of the game, and a 50-page short story written by Andrzej Sapkowski. There will also be a map of the game world. As you can see it is quite an elaborate release and it is important to us that fans all over the world be able to buy this version of the game. Especially considering it will not be more expensive than the standard edition of the game! Fans that have already bought the game need not worry, however, because the new content and improvements will be available to them in the form of a downloadable update "

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition does not only mean changes in the game's mechanics or better graphics, however. There's also an included mod editor called D'jinni that allows players to create or modify their own adventures in the world of The Witcher, as well as two completely new adventures created by CD Projekt RED. First adventure “The price of neutrality” tells the story of Geralt coming back to Kaer Morhen and finding mysterious camp near stronghold (3 new quests) while second one focus on Dandelion and his troubles in Vyzim City (5 quests)

dragonfk

Erudite
From what Kuczynska said(Story Designer) there will be 3 modules all together not 2.

Ausir

Arcane
From what I was told, that was a mistake. The third module will be released online later, not with EE.

caliban

Scholar
This is impressive indeed... can you imagine Bioware or Beth making updates that fix or improve every aspect of their game that the players didn't like and giving it to them FOR FREE along with two separate modules/addons?

It's almost like them CDP guys are somehow... not evil!?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Wow, this is pretty awesome. I'll probably have to give it another playthrough when this is released.

Julio

Scholar
Wow, this is an amazing bit of news. You go girl, CDP!
NintendoNerdLord.jpg

Shannow

Waster of Time
Especially considering it will not be more expensive than the standard edition of the game!
Wow!

I wanted to buy the game anyway soonish. This is really incredible. Depending on how much I like the game when I actually play it they may just make a fan out of me.

The last similar thing I can remember when a dev was so interested in consumer good-will was when people who had bought UT2003 got UT2004 cheaper. I hope other devs take notice ;)

I just checked on amazon. Seems like Sapkowski's Witcher books are finally being translated (apart from sword of destiny and the last wish).

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Oh, so The Witcher is now going to have what should have been in it the first place! Giving all this away for free is a nice trick to get more people look forward to the inevitable sequel as well. [/bitter]

So, it seems I'll likely be buying this game, IF things really go as promised. In which case, I'd like CDProjekt Red to be successful, just so that other developers follow suit.

scypior

Novice
Lestat said:
Amazing, they're making all these changes for free. This is madness.

Not only two modules, but also whole lots updates to the code itself.

Hope that these premium edition will sell very good thus indicating that such initiatives are well received by the market...

Globbi

Augur
The modules themselves seem to offer as much as some full games. I'm playing just oldies and wasn't going to spend money on games anytime soon but this is really nice. I have to consider buying extended witcher.

That's the way to extend life of a game. No more game of the year edition shit like from Bethesda.

Ausir

Arcane
One of the modules is 3 hours long, and the other one is 2 hours, so they're not really as much as full games.

Longer premium modules are said to be upcoming later, though.

Fyz

Scholar
I hope to see some improvements RPG-wise in those free modules.
I don't really care about seeing 'more of the same'.

However I'm still happy for those who liked the original game, I hope to see more devs/publishers do long-term support on their products.
Toys 4some Big-Tits Nurse Clit Public Tennis Police Group-Sex Public 10+-Inch-Cock Pussy Fisting Japanese Big-Black-Cock Adorable Bikini Fat-Ass Rough-Sex Shower Office Pics Ethnic Gorgeous Interview Tied-up Gym Dorm Close-up Fucking Black-Teen Midget Watersport Outdoor Toon Voyeur Lick Hungarian Short-Hair Dyke

Solaris

Scholar
This is really good news indeed. Hell, I'm half tempted to buy it again just to support this kind of thing, since I hardly buy games these days anyway as the majority of them are shit. It's nice to have a well supported game for a change where they are looking to the future. The editor espescially interests me, as modding has always been a fun diversion from just playing.

Great stuff CDP.

Vamp

Educated
Ausir said:
One of the modules is 3 hours long, and the other one is 2 hours, so they're not really as much as full games.

Longer premium modules are said to be upcoming later, though.

Considering there are games that only last about 5-6 hours (GeoW, COD4 etc.), 5 hours of free extra content is pretty damn good.

I was holding off buying The Witcher until most issues were adressed and I had some free time to actually play the game. Now I can look forward to both the Enhanced edition and Mass Effect in May. Yay!

Julio

Scholar
Vamp, you might be stretching the 4-5 hour point with GoW, as it's at least 8-10 hours on PC thanks to the extra 4 levels. CoD4 and Airborne, however, can easily be completed in less than 6 hours; and let's not forget Kane & Lynch which is about 5-6 hours long.

LRP

Novice
Smart of them to give the extra content for free to original owners of the game IMO.

I wouldn't of been a very happy camper to see a game I bought six months ago, had been released with all this and HAVE to go out and spend another fifty or sixty dollars! , overwhelming support by original purchasers of the game have helped make it what it is today, and would have made for a lot of ill will.

This way they keep and build on loyalty of their fan base. My respect for them just keeps going up. The things they're fixing, especially the English dialog version were really what I saw as the main problems and short comings of the game. As another player said, I'm almost tempted to buy the other one, because I feel that good about them, and by their not jacking around with those that had bought the game and gave them their first big bucks.

CDP strike me as having some pretty savey folks when it comes to pleasing their customer base. After so so much abuse at the hands of other, bigger, more established companies it comes as a breath of fresh air. I really hope this continues to be their policy as they grow in stature and as a producer of games, that it doesn't fall by the way side.

dragonfk

Erudite
LRP said:
Smart of them to give the extra content for free to original owners of the game IMO.

I wouldn't of been a very happy camper to see a game I bought six months ago, had been released with all this and HAVE to go out and spend another fifty or sixty dollars! , overwhelming support by original purchasers of the game have helped make it what it is today, and would have made for a lot of ill will.

Dungeon Lords. Dreamcatcher. Mr. DW. Bradley sit, watch and learn.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Hm. From the fact sheet I'd say that e.g. the inventory changes won't be downloadable. If they're "integral to the enhanced edition" and there's no mention of any "download date", then that's it, I'm afraid. This contradicts what Kicinski said, though.

Rondel.

Novice
Elwro said:
Hm. From the fact sheet I'd say that e.g. the inventory changes won't be downloadable. If they're "integral to the enhanced edition" and there's no mention of any "download date", then that's it, I'm afraid. This contradicts what Kicinski said, though.

Here you are: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.p ... #msg242152

He confirms, that all of the content will be downloadable for free (and it is one of the devs posts about this).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom