Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher The Witcher: Or how I lost my childhood

marek

Educated
you should polish your polish^^: there is quite a difference between a tavern keeper fucking his (underage) waitress which Gerald is angry about (book). And Geralt doing it himself (your "translation")

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
He was angry because of the cold and stale scrambled eggs, which were given to him for breakfast by the tavern keeper, for a moment leaving the girl that he was touching in the backend.

Amusingly, the translation is correct not horrible. But your understanding of the sentance in either language is... somewhat lacking to say the least.

The Jester

Cipher
images

Strap Yourselves In
This is a rather sad troll thread, because the possibility that a "humanist by education" would actually hold the opinions presented by the OP is more plausible than many would like to admit to themselves.

Personally I blame the Bologna Process for this downfall of the European higher education. I would agree that Sapkowski is overrated as an author though.

Gahbreeil

Learned
you should polish your polish^^: there is quite a difference between a tavern keeper fucking his (underage) waitress which Gerald is angry about (book). And Geralt doing it himself (your "translation")
Marek, read it again as if the teacher told you to. You will see that both your interpretation and mine is viable based on the original text. When you read with understanding, your interpretation, as subjective and objective ones exist, will show you that mine is more viable through correct understanding of bahasa polski.
This take on disliking CDP and witcher games should be locked and preserved in Sevres as a measurement standard for being right for the wrong reasons.
Sure...
A fish caught by the penis with the hook of a fishing rod
:updatedmytxt:

Faarbaute

Arbiter
This reminds me of that legendary bodybuilder discussion about working out four days a week, by working out every second day.

Divine Blessing

Scholar
psychoanalytically OPs interpretation is a projection, not due to semantic ambivalence (/or simply unprecise use of grammar) but obvious ignorance of Geralts character.

Geralt is the Mel-Gibson of Fantasy. like sugarfree soft-drinks, he is the calory free version of a not-too-dank hero, not a twisted pedophile, torn by existential dilemma and malignous desires.

but when the OPs interpretation is a projection, what does this tell about the OP?

marek

Educated
Marek, read it again as if the teacher told you to. You will see that both your interpretation and mine is viable based on the original text. When you read with understanding, your interpretation, as subjective and objective ones exist, will show you that mine is more viable through correct understanding of bahasa polski.

Geralt went downstairs and has a bad start into the day. Enumeration what geralt is angry about: his cold breakfast served by the innkeeper who for a moment gets away from his waitress, that the girl is no older than twelve and has tears in her eyes. Which made him feel down despite good weather and busy street.

If you truly want to insist its geralt who for a moment gets away from her i guess its gramatically not impossible/ambiguous to reference to geralt instead of the innkeep. But from the context of the sentence, the context of whats happening (goes down for breakfast, which is bad cause the innkeep is busy with his waitress) and the context of geralts character across all the book, you really have to willfully ignore all that to arrive at your reading...

He was angry because of the cold and stale scrambled eggs, which were given to him for breakfast by the tavern keeper, for a moment leaving the girl that he was touching in the backend.

Amusingly, the translation is correct not horrible. But your understanding of the sentance in either language is... somewhat lacking to say the least.

It's because the problem our great literary critic has is that he misunderstands who is "he" in the sentence. This enables him to translate correctly without understanding the meaning. Bad prose can sometimes make who "he" or "she" is difficult to discern, but the cited fragment is not the case of this.

DraQ

Arcane
He didnt like that the innkeeper raped the teen waitress. He did not rape her herself.
Happy fun guessing game time!
What level of reading comprehension would you expect of someone with
29250.jpg
as their avatar?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Translation of above is:

He went downstairs, feeling increasingly unnerved as well as a touch of anger. Anger caused by everything.
He was angry because of the cold and stale scrambled eggs which were given to him by the tavern keeper, for a moment leaving the girl that he was touching in the backend. He was angry that the girl was only twelve years old. And that she had tears in her eyes.
Warm spring weather and the cheer of the street did not help Geralt...
The more important question is whether Gahbreeil is a terrible translator or Sapkowski is a terrible writer. :M

whynotboth.gif

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
i guess its gramatically not impossible/ambiguous to reference to geralt instead of the innkeep

Nope, it is gramatically impossible. It is in fact hueg fail in both PL and ENG grammar to read it that way.

whynotboth.gif

There are far more horrible PL writers than him. In that light, he cannot be objectively measured as terrible.

marek

Educated
i guess its gramatically not impossible/ambiguous to reference to geralt instead of the innkeep

Nope, it is gramatically impossible. It is in fact hueg fail in both PL and ENG grammar to read it that way.
I certainly won't claim any expertise in polish, just use basics (+ word touch dictionary) for reading - but if you learn with entry level polish courseware, you can arrive at his conclusion (if you ignorie everything else). Glad to have it dispelled by an actual native speaker as well.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Oi, did you note yourself not giving a single objective argument instead of subjective drivel?
What level of reading comprehension would you expect of someone with [Aerie] as their avatar?
Do you consider the look of an enslaved winged elf whose wings have been ripped or cut off and then the wounds cauterised in order to make her a circus freak funny? This avatar bears a resemblance to the original portrait of Aerie.

MajorMace

Cipher
Patron

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
This thread reeks of retardation but it also seems to radiate some genuine innocence, which I believe is to be safeguarded. You're a magnificent, pure, innocent fucking autist op, take care of yourself.

thelegend

Educated
All retards including me bashing it out for fantasy worlds based on fantasy logic

DraQ

Arcane
Translation of above is:

He went downstairs, feeling increasingly unnerved as well as a touch of anger. Anger caused by everything.
He was angry because of the cold and stale scrambled eggs which were given to him by the tavern keeper, for a moment leaving the girl that he was touching in the backend. He was angry that the girl was only twelve years old. And that she had tears in her eyes.
Warm spring weather and the cheer of the street did not help Geralt...
The more important question is whether Gahbreeil is a terrible translator or Sapkowski is a terrible writer. :M
OP is a terrible reader.

Top Bottom