Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
So, my starting party consists of (Wizardry 6)

2 Fighters
1 Ninja
1 Alchemist
1 Priest
1 Mage

Is it a good idea to bring along a theif or a ranger?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

2 Fighters
1 Ninja
1 Alchemist
1 Priest
1 Mage

I assume this is about 8? If so, yes, a ranger is very nice to have on a first playthrough due to his autosearch ability, and besides that it's a fun and strong class. Consider also taking a bard, who makes the early game a lot easier before you fully grok the combat. It's by no means mandatory though. I wouldn't duplicate classes either, but that's just me.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

2 Fighters
1 Ninja
1 Alchemist
1 Priest
1 Mage

I assume this is about 8? If so, yes, a ranger is very nice to have on a first playthrough due to his autosearch ability, and besides that it's a fun and strong class. Consider also taking a bard, who makes the early game a lot easier before you fully grok the combat. It's by no means mandatory though.
Uhh what I’m talking about Wizardry 6?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

2 Fighters
1 Ninja
1 Alchemist
1 Priest
1 Mage

I assume this is about 8? If so, yes, a ranger is very nice to have on a first playthrough due to his autosearch ability, and besides that it's a fun and strong class. Consider also taking a bard, who makes the early game a lot easier before you fully grok the combat. It's by no means mandatory though.
Uhh what I’m talking about Wizardry 6?
Did you edit your post or something? Or I'm blind. Either way, for 6 my advice is the same except that the ranger sucks and you shouldn't have one.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Also in Wiz6 is a Ninja superior to a fighter early on or late game? I’m thinking of taking 2 Ninja’s and 1 fighter or vice versa. I watched a video saying the beginning and end game are the most important to prepare for.

Oh, fuck yea just rolled 23 bonus points!

Last edited:

EruDaan

Arcane
How can you kill Blienmeis (Wizardry 7)? He seems to be immuned to every spell and he has very high initiative. My party (10-11 lvl) can't even touch him, he even kills my powerful summoned creatures (lvl 7 spells). I can't blind him, I can't use Lifesteal of him, I'm running out of ideas. Or maybe I'm severely underleveled?

DA FUCK?! I wouldn't consider myself an Wiz7 noob but how the fucking hell did you get through the Treemen in the Grove with a party at that level?! And how did you get Lifesteal on a lvl 10 Mage / Priest (not sure whoch one gets it)? How do you manage the hordes of ratkin that roam the way to the Ratkin Ruins? *brainmelt*

gman42

Scholar

2 Fighters
1 Ninja
1 Alchemist
1 Priest
1 Mage

Thieves really bring nothing special to the table in 6 or 7. Rangers get some interesting stuff from the boss battles late game, but it's still meh. If you were doing some kind of no-class-change party to take all the way through 8, then you could argue carrying both of em.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

2 Fighters
1 Ninja
1 Alchemist
1 Priest
1 Mage

Thieves really bring nothing special to the table in 6 or 7. Rangers get some interesting stuff from the boss battles late game, but it's still meh. If you were doing some kind of no-class-change party to take all the way through 8, then you could argue carrying both of em.
I plan on taking them all the way through 8, to get the secret ending and hidden quest I think.

gman42

Scholar
So if you're doing that and not changing classes at all, then you should consider suffering through with them. Elven Bow keeps getting better with each game, and rangers wind up as ranged killing machines by the end, and the thief (rogue) will become a close combat monster in 8, but is really unimpressive before that.

If you're gonna multiclass then none of this matters.

EruDaan

Arcane
I follow the vanilla way - 1 ninja, 1 mage, 1 bard, 1 priest, 2 fillers => class change so that everyone can hide => smash some godzillys => endgame with lvl 27~29

One question: does anybody know what the personal skills actually do? Eagle Eye for example... what does it do? A bonus chance to hit? With melee or missile attacks?

EverlastingLove

Learned
I follow the vanilla way - 1 ninja, 1 mage, 1 bard, 1 priest, 2 fillers => class change so that everyone can hide => smash some godzillys => endgame with lvl 27~29

One question: does anybody know what the personal skills actually do? Eagle Eye for example... what does it do? A bonus chance to hit? With melee or missile attacks?

This might help: http://arek.paranoya.info/wiz7/characters/skills/personal.html

No love for monk? He's super strong, he was my main damage dealer, could hit even harder than my lord or ninja faerie with CoC. He can even use the best sword in the game, which is ridiculous. My front line was ninja (faerie) and monk, both had great bonus to AC from ninjutsu, enemies just couldn't hit them.

gman42

Scholar
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/recovered/avenstar/attributes.html has this section for what each point of the personal skills gives you in Wiz8:

Power Strike Melee: .05 to Hit, .05 Attack Rating
Power Cast ?
Iron Will .2 all magic resistances
Iron Skin .25 damage resistance
Reflextion .06 AC
Snake Speed .1 Initiative
Eagle Eye Ranged: .0625 to Hit, .0625 Attack Rating

...I'd assume the effects are similar in Wiz7 but I don't remember anything showing exact formulas. I assume Firearms just affects To Hit modifier when shooting, and obviously Mind Control=Iron Will.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Some of this might not be correct. Afaik Power Strike gives only Penetration. Not sure if this is what to-hit means.

Sonic Titan

Educated
I want to go back and continue my Wizardry 7 venture, but I simply cannot, for the life of me, figure out why the dosbox keymapper refuses to accept my "a" key settings/changes. I am able to map the "a" button to "turn left", but when I am in dialogue with an NPC the "a" button acts as if I am hitting "backspace". Basically, I am able to type out every vowel except for "a" in NPC dialogue.

newtmonkey

Arcane
It will never work because "left" probably acts as "backspace" in Wiz 7, so now when you press "a" the game thinks you are pressing "left." There's no way around it. You can't remap a key in dosbox and only have it apply during certain scenes. It's all or nothing.

Sonic Titan

Educated
I guess I could force myself to move by number pad or arrow keys. A minor inconvenience in the long run if it allows me to continue Wizardry 7.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Sonic Titan
AutoHotkey is your BFF if you're on M$ Windows.

A simple AutoHotkey script with an accessible but unused global hotkey combination to toggle the AutoHotkey Suspend state will suffice.

Code:
^+`::Suspend ;Toggle AutoHotkey Suspend state, [Ctrl+Shift+`] hotkey

#IfWinActive ahk_exe dosbox.exe
w::Up

a::Left

s::Down

d::Right

I'm using it even for mouse-based games by remapping fixed UI buttons to keyboard keys.
Keyboard only > Game Controller only > Keyboard + Mouse > Mouse only :M

Sonic Titan

Educated
Sonic Titan
AutoHotkey is your BFF if you're on M$ Windows.

A simple AutoHotkey script with an accessible but unused global hotkey combination to toggle the AutoHotkey Suspend state will suffice.

Code:
^+`::Suspend ;Toggle AutoHotkey Suspend state, [Ctrl+Shift+`] hotkey

I'm using it even for mouse-based games by remapping fixed UI buttons to keyboard keys.
Keyboard only > Game Controller only > Keyboard + Mouse > Mouse only :M

Nostaljaded

So basically download autohotkey and use it over the default keymapper within dosbox.

Would that solve the “a” key issue I have? Or would I have to toggle AHK off during dialogue with NPCs?

Sorry if I sound like a pleb, I haven’t tinkered with this stuff in YEARS, and first time for a CRPG.

Thank you for your input though.

Nostaljaded

Savant
You have to toggle AHK off during dialogue with NPCs, using [Ctrl+Shift+`] hotkey as per above sample script (or whatever hotkeys you have assigned to toggle AHK suspension).
The Suspend hotkey is currently defined as a global hotkey, so you can toggle AHK suspension in-game or anywhere.

Alternatively, if using AHK just for Wizardry 7 only, can simply use a 1-key hotkey to toggle AHK suspension in-game only, e.g.
Code:
`::Suspend ;Toggle AutoHotkey Suspend state

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom