Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Humbaba

Arcane
I intend to go to Arnika at least, then I'll see. It's nice and interesting to discover all the new stuff, but damn, those fights... The monastery was nightmarish at times. Retracing your steps to open a locked door/crate once you've found the key only to stumble upon yet another 20+ enemies fight really wore me down. And many of those fights are not the "trash mob" kind, you actually have to pay attention and use the (too) many items/bombs/potions you found. It's cool yet taxing, so I may run out of steam sooner or later.

20+? Is this what happens when you don't import a party?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I'm sorry to reply so long after this was posted, but I'm trying to find this version of the game and this post was the only place I've been able to find that was hosting it.

It's not worth it, play the SNES or PSX version

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title

I think the mod does that. The difference with the vanilla game is that more often than not you engage 1 stack of enemies and as soon as the combat starts you get those plus 3 or 4 other faraway stacks that you don't even see. I know it happened in vanilla too, but not with as many stacks and not that often. It feels like the mod includes some sort of "call for help" obscure option.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
wiz8exp01.jpg

Made it ! The mod gave me no more trouble on the road than vanilla, good, but are those new loading screens ugly !

Recruited Myles, took a couple of cautious steps in town and BANG !...

wiz8exp02.jpg

Last edited:

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I think the mod does that. The difference with the vanilla game is that more often than not you engage 1 stack of enemies and as soon as the combat starts you get those plus 3 or 4 other faraway stacks that you don't even see. I know it happened in vanilla too, but not with as many stacks and not that often. It feels like the mod includes some sort of "call for help" obscure option.
I have not this stacks problem. I am using the Wiz8_v128_eng.exe.
Strange things: Gave gleaming sword to my samurai. It does always 1 damage. So he got back his katana.
(Outside) very frequently I cannot move. I stick to the ground.
Level 8-9 party, Arnika road was not dangerous. Mainly crabs, poppies.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Well, I use the same .exe and I keep getting many (as in 4 or 5) stacks fights really often. I used the gleaming sword for a while on my fighter but it gave me the regular damage. Arnika road was rather easy for me too, but Arnika-Trynton road is giving me lots of trouble. I don't have any moving problems outside though. Now, the one place where I had lots of problems was the catacombs under the monastery. I had terrible lags and also crashes during certain fights (really infuriating that). Also, many (almost all) new NPC have no voice but a horrible white noise.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Romhacking.net - Hacks - Wizardry (WonderGate Unlock)
Description:
If you’ve played this game before, you’ll have noticed a big WONDERGATE option on the main menu, which notably allowed you hit up their server and “download” new maps to play, exclusive to this version of the game, which had many new remixed monster types and a bevy of exclusive gear that was all quite powerful. These new maps would become available to “download” on a weekly basis after release for 10 new maps in total.

If you didn’t have a WonderGate (or you’re in the present time where the service is defunct), you could link up with a friend to download the maps to your save, but these days, there’s not a ton of people who still have these on their original carts, so it can be tough to obtain.

This hack, in short, enables all these maps for you. No need to go to the WonderGate menu, set up a save file, or anything like that. Even if your SRAM is totally dead, they’ll just all be accessible from the appropriate menu when you load it up. So yeah, you weren’t really downloading anything.

This works on original hardware, and it’s also compatible with Hengki Kusuma Adi’s English Translation Enhancement patch

Where to find the levels:

• Select START
  • Load up your party at the Tavern
  • Back out to the Edge of Town
  • Select Special
  • Select New Maze
  • Then just pick the map you want
They’re all pretty tough, so you’ll want to level up and make progress in the game first.
Unsure if this also unlocks the WonderGate shopping stuff, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Alright, I'm through with this mod. I've (painfully) reached Trynton and it's getting worse by the minute. Shit like this :
wiz8exp03.jpg

...is getting on my nerves. I don't even see one of them motherfuckers ! Which doesn't prevent them from fireballing/toxic clouding my sorry ass. My guys are level 11/12, all monsters are same level and dryads are level 14. Damn... those dryads ! They can cast level 6 toxic clouds which incapacitate and/or severly poison most of my party in one turn, and they make the hit character switch side in melee. Add fireballing dragons and paralyzing spiders and you've got one unwinnable fight on your hands (with my party at least). By the time I get in playable range my party is half gone, at best, and of course those useless annoying trynnies are still here to add insult to injury.

It was so painful to get to this point and it's not getting any better, so bye bye. I can't imagine finishing the game in these conditions, good luck and kuddos to anyone who at least tries. :salute:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Yup ! At one point, I managed to kill some of the monsters (including one dryad, yeah!) and I escaped to rest and come back to try my hand at the remaining ones. Rest was interrupted by 4 level 16 enchantresses (or something like that) that made quick work of my sleeping characters. That's when I decided to ragequit for good.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
How much work is made in this expanded mod. The animated new monsters. New NPCs have digitized speech. Mariners are using machine guns.
I had an encounter with Lvl13 Savant Wasps at He-Li's bar in Arnika. Big magic resistance and draining stamina by hit.
I rested a few times but they did not want to go away so I had to fight.
That was an epic battle.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Yup ! At one point, I managed to kill some of the monsters (including one dryad, yeah!) and I escaped to rest and come back to try my hand at the remaining ones. Rest was interrupted by 4 level 16 enchantresses (or something like that) that made quick work of my sleeping characters. That's when I decided to ragequit for good.
Hmmm, I have met these Lvl13 Savant Wasps in Arnika but after that only Savant Guards/Troopers/Henchmen.
So now I do not know, they were fixed monsters for the mod? Or random and the RNG joking me?

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
The original monster respawns inside town were dumb enough, why would they make it wild wolves?
I do not understand your problem.
I live in a big city. And suddenly foxes moved into my garden. It is like real life.
In the city center in broad daylight my old colleague was beaten from behind and robbed. He was in the hospital for half a year because his skull was broken. So there are encounters in town IRL.

Codex Year of the Donut
The original monster respawns inside town were dumb enough, why would they make it wild wolves?
I live in a big city. And suddenly foxes moved into my garden. It is like real life.
In the city center in broad daylight my old colleague was beaten from behind and robbed. He was in the hospital for half a year because his skull was broken. So there are encounters in town IRL.
do wolves frequently go around mugging people?

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
do wolves frequently go around mugging people?
Frequently? I have not seen one yet in Arnika.
In real life I only see bears swimming in garden pools.
But I have met Savant Wasps again. So they are random encounters.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
There is a more serious problem in the expanded mod.
I have found 2 gorillas outside of Arnika.
Who released them from Orkogre Castle?

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
And now the *MOST IMPORTANT* change in the Expanded Mod:
There is a ramp in the Umpani Camp leading to the recruiting office/shop!

I never could go in and always had to try to configure the directx/opengl or whatever because of that bug.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Eh, just position yourself a bit away and shift-w in.
Sorry, but that not always works.

Strange(?) thing happened in the expanded mod. I was attacked by 5 Higardi Robbers in Arnika. They are Lvl14. At last I killed 3 and 2 was blinded and run away, Antone chased after them. End of battle and the 2 robbers and Antone disappeared. After resting Antone is again in his shop but I cannot find the robbers. I lost the XP.
I am enjoying very much this difficult "over my party level" battles.
Cannot wait for Trynton.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom