Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worst RPG You Spent The Most Hours On

Late Bloomer

Scholar
And why did you keep playing? OCD? Completionist? Do you secretly like the game even though its shit and you know it? If possible try not to make a list of the worst RPG's as thats most likely been done several times over. Just point out that one RPG you have more hours logged on than is reasonable for such a crap game. Bonus points if you can estimate the hours.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Fallout 3 because I am playing Tales of Two Wastelands.

Pillars of Eternity. Suffered through all of it just to be able to get the most out of Deadfire since the latter actually seemed promising. Turns out it wasn't.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Do roguelikes count? If so, then ADOM. I really, really tried to like it, but it's dogshit and I'm ashamed it took me years to realize it.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader. Couldn't believe that it wouldn't at some point recapture at least some flashes of what made the Barcelona area, so I kept trudging on until the end.

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
Kingmaker. There are some RPGs that I spent a lot of time on and only realized they were shit in retrospect. But I hated every minute of Kingmaker. Probably wasted over 50 hours waiting for it to start getting fun, and restarting with different characters hoping that a different class would be fun. Tons of boring trash combat, unlikable companions, a time-wasting rest system, the most tedious and pointless character building of any RPG I can recall, and everything about the setting, artstyle and story are generic bland Wizards of the Coast fantasy.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'd DA:O - I know a lot of folks like it, but I just couldn't stand it for some quite a few reasons. But I just played to see what happens with your "armies" and other dead ends. Took a large break in between and went back to it, and kicked myself for it.
Fallout 3 because I am playing Tales of Two Wastelands.
I get a kick out of applying mods to both and messing around. I'll never finish FO3 again, but TTW does add to FO3 and gives me that Three Dog fix that we were screwed out of in FO:NV. I think if they went ahead with the original plan and had Three Dog play Caesar, the game would have hit that magic 85% Metacritic score (hell, 95%) and we'd be bitching about FO:NV 2 now.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Neverwinter Nights. Came for the single player campaign, stayed for the online part of the game. Met some cool people from all over the world. We used to chat, and play games for 10+ years.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Final Fantasy 13. Played it to near the end and then stopped. Played it again a few years later and completed it. I like to give games second chances and I like to cross it off in my mind upon completion. I dislike almost everything about it. Not sure of time spent but probably over 120 hours altogether.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Easily Witcher 3, the whole package with all the DLCs. I spent around 150 hours on that piece of shit, and that was *with* the autoloot radius mod and unlimited carry weight! I can't imagine having to actually interact with all those fucking loot nodes while playing.

Why? Definitely a combination of OCD, laziness, and the novelty of using my new 5.1 system with a new TV.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous with my one and only playthrough taking 130 hours. Wrath exacerbates Kingmakers problems of poor encounter design, breadth vs depth, annoying writing, bland quest design, and intrusive minigames among a myriad of other problems. What makes Wrath worse to me than Kingmaker is that the latter was Owlcat's first game meaning they had some excuse. Somehow they manage to barely learn their lesson and release a sequel which has all of the problems their first game has! After finishing Wrath I had assumed that those type of RPGs are not for me but my playthrough of Baldur's Gate 2 soon afterwards proved me wrong. Owlcat needs to make a lot of internal changes before they will be capable of releasing a quality product.

Last edited:

Faldron

Novice
I have 100+ hours in Fallout 4 and that's ignoring settlement building completely, I did not reach any of the DLCs so I intend to return to it and yes, I secretly like it.

Supermedo

Augur
I spent 16 hours playing underworld ascendant, more or less OCD. I don't like starting a game and leaving it unfinished

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Skyrim.

I hoped it would get good further down the story line.

99% no. I do like Fus-Ro-Dah, and how you can push stuff with your voice, and that was fun for like 1h or so.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Neverwinter Nights. Back in the early 2000s there weren't many PC RPGs around that I hadn't already played, so I completed a playthrough of the NWN OC just after release.

The combat was turgid, the graphics were ugly, and the story was boring. Overall, it sucked donkey balls.

I played Dungeon Siege a bit after that, but quit before getting too far into the game as it was an irredeemable pile of shit, so I didn't waste as much time on it as I did NWN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom