Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worst RPG You Spent The Most Hours On

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Swordflight shits on all new RPGs and many old ones

it is a masterpiece and award winning module back when awards meant something

Baldur's Gate 1. The game was challenging enough as a solo Fighter/Mage/Thief and there are undoubtedly some interesting locations. It's also a pretty game, even if slightly Disneyfied. Yet I hated the story, the companions, the trash mobs, the mostly generic locations and the RTwP combat.

Divinity Original Sin. Blowing up barrels to create chain reactions is fun... the first couple of times. I wondered if I was a bad enough dude to slog through it with just one character. In the end the cheese seller gave me PTSD. I have a mortal hatred of Belgium.

Xelocix

Learned
Mass Effect: Andromeda. My only playthrough was a completionist run. I kept playing because the gameplay was fun and the ME trilogy was a huge part of my teenage years. I was nostalgic and wanted something fresh from the universe. I still play the multiplayer once in a blue moon.

Oblivion would be my second pick. I have like 240 hours in it despite thinking it's incredibly mediocre and boring for the most part.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Swordflight shits on all new RPGs and many old ones

it is a masterpiece and award winning module back when awards meant something
I played Swordflight.

It would have been great... if not for the utterly abysmal gameplay of NWN.

Maybe I shouldn't have played a fighter, but it's not my class's fault that the game is so shit. In one of the episodes you have to attack a castle and can have up to three companions, two of which are casters, and of course your thief chick sidekick.

The thief chick constantly got herself killed by provoking AoO attacks from using her crossbow in melee.
The casters wasted their most useful spells on encounters I could have solo'd, and were empty when the boss fight came.
Trying to keep them alive through all this was incredibly frustrating because you barely have any control over your companions. NWN is single-char D&D, which is shit enough by itself because D&D is designed to be ran with a party, but when a module's encounters are intended to be tackled with a party yet your party AI behaves like retards and you barely have any control over their actions...

It's just shit.

Swordflight on the Baldur's Gate engine, or even better, the KotC2 engine, or the ToEE engine, would be an amazing game.
On the NWN engine, though? Great potential, but it plays like SHIT.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Probably D:OS2. This piece of shit sat in my library for 2 years untouched until I was itching for a multiplayer RPG and voila there it was. Enlisted my friend and was surprised that it was far and away one of the most well implemented coop rpgs I've ever seen. Note, I specifically mean the multiplayer was well implemented -- not that the game itself was any good. We put in 60 hours and I honestly couldn't tell you anything about the story, the characters other than that they were all vaguely obnoxious and gay, and that the system/character building was all very munchkin.

Beans00

Augur
I mean I've played some really shit games. Usually if a game was too bad I would drop it within a few hours. 2 years ago(2020-2021) I went on a bit of an rpg binge and managed to beat some fairly bad games. Oblivion and fallout 4, I had never completed either, but I beat them in 28 and 22 hours respectively, so not a whole ton of time investment.

There was torment tides of numabluba... Again though I beat it in 14 hours by rushing through it after I realized how bad it was.

Of course there was the outer worlds, but 25 hours with both DLC, not really that long.

I really hated poe2, but I completely speed ran it when I realized how shit it was, 17.4 hours. Barely anything.

So on steam there are 3 contenders in terms of games that really made me want to finish them and couldnt quit due to sunk cost fallacy.

NWN 1 with expansions 37 hours. Never got past chapter 2 as a kid. 37 hours includes skipping a ton of content. Game is legitimately horrible.

D:OS 2: 49,9 hours. Couldn't stand the new armour system. Hated this game and everything about it. A lot of time was inflated due to reloading, I felt like this game was much more gimmick reliant then the 1st. Almost every fight seemed excessively cancerous, especially in the 4th act.

D:OS 1: 50 hours I liked this one much more then the 2nd even with the cringe reddit writing. As an overall package I didn't completely hate it but there were a bunch of parts in the game I found insufferable ( the desert spiders, those immortal knights you need to sneak by ect).

I had a much lower tolerance for bad games as a kid, usually if something was junk I dropped it pretty fast. The only exceptions that comes to mind

THUNDERSCAPE: Super shitty 3d goldbox game, probably put at least a few hundred hours into it trying to beat it.

Dungeon siege: Didn't beat it, no idea how long I played it but was way too long

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Why not just have zarala stand her ground and tell the casters not to cast any spells? You can also tell zarala to cast improved invisibility on herself before combat and I'm pretty sure you don't need to actually have her equip weapons. I never did.

No argument that nwn is a flawed game but SF is still very fun and worth spending time on imo

Fargus

Arcane
Wasted 200 hours on Underrail and i only finished it once on my second playthrough. Just barely scratched the expansion then quit because i didn't wish to play anymore.

This game wastes an unreasonable amount of your time with loot hassle, backtracking, respawning monsters, trading and crafting. And Deep Caverns... fuck that sloggish shit. Never again.

Ravielsk

Magister
Dark Souls 2. First I played through the original release on PS3 waiting for it to get good and it never did.
Then I tried Scholar of the First Sin only to discover that its a difficulty romhack with none of the problems addressed but with more added.

Skyrim.
Some mods really make it shine, but at the end of the day you still end up interacting with the same NPC and their horribly bland voice acting and writing. Plus even with mods is hard to make truly different characters.
Then after expending 20+ million hours modding the shit and maintaining the saved files, my old files still end up corrupt.

Essentially is like trying to polish a turd by freezing it in liquid nitrogen and coating it in gold. You can polish it and it will shine, but you need to keep it refrigerated or it will just sludge away at the end.

Aarwolf

Learned
The worst one with the most hours spent in would be Deadfire - I was hyped at release, but it was bugged shit. Still, I did full run. Then I gave it another chance, with all DLCs and turn based mode. It was still shit, but this time also a slog. Never again.

Close second would be D:OS 1 - everything after Cyseal was boring, but I managed to finish it anyway. I think I clocked 50 hours or so.
Honorable mention to D:OS 2 - I stopped playing after leaving Fort Joy and that stupid fight on a ship, when all companions that are not in you current party die. I ragequit it and it saved me a lot of trouble.

I also tried things like Andromeda, but I quit them very quickly (about hour or so), so they don't count.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Outer Worlds.
I played through this pos and spent 55hrs on it. Easily the worst game I've ever been baited to play through - this was because I had xbox gamepass for pc for 1 eur for 1 month, and had to complete it within that period of time. In the end it was very costly for me, mentally.

Codex Year of the Donut
This game wastes an unreasonable amount of your time with loot hassle, backtracking, respawning monsters, trading and crafting.
combatfags would willingly play a game that required a remote-operated dildo up their ass if they thought it had "good combat"

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I wasted far too long on Skyrim. I only really played as long as I did because I spent the whole time dreaming of how great it could be if they weren't determined to make it McElder Scrolls. But I also spent a long time trying to mod it and being disappointed at all the combat and magic mods. In the end I finally looked into modding it myself and saw why the mods are so shit. The tools are pretty worthless.

Modron

Arcane
NWN 1, Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age Origins, Trails in the Sky the 3rd, Divinity Original Sin, Skyrim, Heath, Beyond Divinity, Lionheart, and probably more that I've blocked out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom