Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worst RPG You Spent The Most Hours On

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fallout 76.... remains my most played steam game with slightly over 240 hours....

I enjoy FPS games, non-sensical environmental storytelling, West Virginia, oldies music station, the weird battle royale game they implemented then did nothing at all to update.
I Like Fallout 4 as survival shooter, despite it being not being a good RPG

What I realized I`m not a fan of, as I masochistically mental derangement-style played the game for an extra 70 hours beyond the above,
is looter shooters that make you come back everyday to shoot poor helpless mobs that have no chance to hurt you as some type of FOMO OCD urge drive in completing a scoreboard.

Well if MMOs count then almost certainly WoW. I was in grad school when it launched and I unironically really enjoyed vanilla and TBC, but disliked WotLK, and hated everything after (played through Legion), and rarely managed to stay subbed for more than a month or two at a time.

If MMOs don’t count… I’m not sure. I tend to give zero fucks about dropping a game if I don’t like it, so it’s pretty rare I force myself to play one I dislike for extended periods of time.

I guess probably Oblivion or maybe Dead State.

Dead State is definitely the superior game, but I probably logged more hours into it, and I overall disliked it. It does a few cool things, but it also does a lot of bone-headedly retarded things, and by the time the endgame rolled around I was about ready to gouge my eyes out.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I completed Cyberpunk 2077, including the large majority of side quests, and even viewed multiple endings, which must have brought the time spent over 40 hours, although the only worthwhile aspect of the game is the urban environment and therefore the only worthwhile result was the considerable number of screenshots obtained. :M

Kruyurk

Learned
I am a simpled minded individual whose (lack of) attention is too easily caught by popamoles. I spent ~500 hours in both Diablo 3 and Path of Exile, and I regret most of it. It is the same for some free-to-play games, but they are even less RPGs (Warframe, Dota 2).
For the last few years I have been more careful to not play games designed to make you addicted (free-to-play but Diablo 3 also had a bad incentive to try to make you addicted with their attempt to instaure real money trading).

On the other hand I spent 200+ hours in Pillars of Eternity, and although it got boring at times it did not feel like shoving digital fast food in my mouth, getting addicted to digital sugar and fat, like with those free-to-play designed to exploit stupid people like myself.

Or maybe it's not evil game designers' fault but my shit taste, since I also spent 66 hours in Fallout 4.

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet. Despite being a 7/10 at best (charitably) and having some sloggy difficulty and an infuriatingly hard to get best ending, it had lots of character customization, build variety (though how viable all of them were was shaky), and also Sinon is best girl.

Last edited:

Humanophage

Arcane
I spent a fair deal on Skyrim according to Steam, but I am not sure how much of this is someone else playing on my account, and how much of it is it being minimised. I play it to work on languages because it is attractive, has voiced dialogues so you get the sound with the subtitles, and the content isn't very important so you are not penalised if you don't understand what is going on.

I also spent a whole lot of hours on Elder Scrolls Online because I really liked the PvP there. Everything else is rubbish though, and the PvP queues are Soviet.

Chimera

Augur
Gothic 3

Its immediate predecessor is almost singularly responsible for cultivating my contemporary taste in RPGs (solo character, exploration heavy, quasi-feudal, choice-based, factional, gritty but not "dark" and where player input matters but is limited by character stats), thus the prospect of a vast, open-world title was eminently appealing.

I invested months playing it at release, exhausting every possible permutation of outcomes and doing my utmost to break the game, whether by massacring every living being, boundary- and sequence-breaking or just messing with the rewards/potion system to acquire ludicrous stats.

Naturally, I also participated in testing each and every version of the Community Patch.; run through the Content mod, with and without the Questpack.

Gothic 3 is an indelibly flawed gem, one that no amount of patches could ever hope to truly polish and, in so many respects, a relic of its time. Even so, it remains a game I will continue to adore...

For the record: I own a physical copy, purchased at release, in addition to having it in both my Steam and GOG accounts. All told, excluding Deus Ex and Arx Fatalis, it is my most played game of all time.

somerandomdude

Learned
I played Diablo 3 more than I'd like to admit. 600-700hrs (over the 10 years it's been out). Just because I was bored, and there wasn't much else to play. Did I like the game? I wasn't enthusiastic about it, and was more or less looking for a dumb way to kill some time that didn't require any thinking.

Last edited:

Crichton

Prophet
Definitely Wasteland 2. I love games where you get to create your own party so I wanted to like it; I created a party, realized that it was total crap, restarted, created another party, got far enough to pick up NPCs and realized that I was wasting a bunch of points in duplicate skills, restarted again with a party that would synergize with my chosen NPCs and finally got to the 2nd act in California. But that part seemed even worse than the first one and I was already burned out several times over with all the shit; the save-scumming lootbox trashcans which each required a separate skill to open, the fake choices, the garbage writing, the hordes of interchangeable enemies. I honestly have no idea what the fuck happened with that game; all those man-hours to create something that was so needlessly retarded on so many levels.

DemonKing

Arcane
Pool of Radiance II - I forced myself to finish it but it was mostly total trash and so repetitive.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I think I blotted the worse out of my memory because it was that bad. I believe it was on a shareware disc. The ui was horrid, the bugs annoying, the mouse control sucked, the story sucked, and encounters sucked. It was a dungeon crawler FP and that's all I remember. Maybe a party of 4. I don't want to remember it. WHY THE FUCK THIS THREAD!?!?! Now I'll have nightmares as the game breaks that barrier and floods my memories with its terror.... ah fuck no...

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Pools of Darkness or Dark Queen of Krynn

Silver Blades should have clued me in to the limits of Gold Box.

Body of Moandar pre-internet was just torture.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I fucking loved those last two. I wish there was a Dave's Challenge for each GB though. One day, we will fight Dave himself.

IT IS DAVE!!!
MZBPQ9K.jpg

h3pq6AV.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I just don't have the degree of autism others in this topic have that allows them to put in sometimes hundreds of hours on an RPG they hate, but I have put in hundreds of hours into modded Elder Scrolls IV, only it's others who call it the worst RPG, not myself. This was a few years ago though.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Oblivion. I loved Morrowind, so when Oblivion came out I dived right in, expecting that the old style fun would come back later in the game. Then I reached the end of the final quest and realized I had wasted my time. :negative:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh! There was a more modern one but it was a mod for dungeon siege 2. You could play the original
DS using the ds 2 engine. It sucked. Monsters scaled fast as you leveled. Utter shite. Talk about a slog.

Falksi

Arcane
Witcher 3

Just kept going due to all the hype in the hope that some semblance of fun would appear. It did - in the expansions. But the main game was 90% shite.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Two worlds 2, I also thought ut was going to be better at some point, but it just keep worsening, and sinking cost fallacies had me completing the game.

Jason Liang

Arcane
So many bad ones:/ Arcanum, Fallout 2, Age of Decadence, Underrail, Baldur's Gate 1, Icewind Dale 2 and Dragon Warrior 3 all come to mind. The one that I kept playing long after I should have uninstalled was probably Age of Decadence - I just enjoy hand xbows too much. The one I wasted the most time on was probably Dragon Warrior 3. I was stuck on Baramos for almost 2 years.

I also spent a ridiculous amount of time rerolling and grinding Wiz 7 but I can't say the game itself was bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom