Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worst RPG You Spent The Most Hours On

Pound Meat

Prophet
Fallout: New Vegas. Glitchy and repetitive.

Best? FF8.

Harthwain

Magister
Neverwinter Nights 1. The singleplayer campaign was really dull (and the first Act was particularly outrageous in terms of how it was constructed, it was a bit better in later Acts), but it was the only game available to me at the time and my internet connection was crap, so I was stuck with it.

eli

Learned
spent 13.6 hours on PF:WOTR and i believe it is most then the majority of people.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
spent 13.6 hours on PF:WOTR and i believe it is most then the majority of people.
Well. Ya got me beat. I only have an hour and ten, or so, minutes.
Oyy4G4M.png

Darth Canoli

Arcane
As bad as NWN 1 & 2 were, they didn't reach the retardation level of PoE 1 & 2 and RetardMaker illiterateFinder.

I probably spent more time with the later than with PoE even if I completed PoE and not Kingmaker.
I'm not sure wih one is worse, PK for the dull management system and absolutely unnecessary generic city builder and all its engine shortcomings or PoE with its dull combat, systems and kickstarter NPC...

Let's say it's a tie.

Tihskael

Learned
Surprisingly VTMB comes to my mind considering I adore the game for its memorable atmosphere, soundtrack and dialogue animation which still holds well to this day. But I'll be damned if the game isn't a complete dumpsterfire towards the end and that kick in the balls ending.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gothic 3, my heart still aches.
NWN 1, it's just boring.
DA I and Andromeda. Andormeda because I fucking love sci-fi and that game had some really good armor, weapon and planet aesthetics. Every other thing was shit as an RPG. DA I is even shittier. I just had a huge time on my hands and wasted on it. A real waste it was...

curds

Magister
Oblivion. Objectively an incredibly flawed game, and if I played it for the first time now I don't think I would like it. But I played it for the first time at a very young, impressionable age, when I didn't know that video games could be like this. Prob got like 300-500 hours in it.

Lord of the Rings Online. Boring, generic, mindless WoW-clone (in terms of gameplay). But as a shameless Tolkien fanboy being in such a well-realised rendition of his created history is just too absorbing. Also about 3-5 hundred hrs.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
end and that kick in the balls ending.
I liked the ending in Bloodlines. Really added to the whole you're insignificant and that you're nothing more than a pawn. Favorite moment is walking around downtown looking up at LaCroix's massive towers, realizing just how tiny my character is. That there's more going on in game than besides my character trying to survive. I'm not the hero or main player of story, but a little baby trying to survive in this grand game of shadows in which antediluvians have played for eons.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Pools of Darkness or Dark Queen of Krynn

Silver Blades should have clued me in to the limits of Gold Box.

Body of Moandar pre-internet was just torture.

Moander was moan inducing, but overall both PoD and DQK were great IMO.
But the GB games were always limited compared to the IE games.

barricade

Educated
kingmaker. that game made me feel like i was in a toxic relationship with that fuck ugly, hysterical, jealous girlfriend that you loved in the beginning. but after some time you realize you really need to end this relation because you're THIS close to end up in prison for smothering her with a pillow.

Tihskael

Learned
I agree, but seeing the shit that game puts you through, I have little to no empathy for that ending.

bionicman

Liturgist
Oblivion. Objectively an incredibly flawed game, and if I played it for the first time now I don't think I would like it. But I played it for the first time at a very young, impressionable age, when I didn't know that video games could be like this. Prob got like 300-500 hours in it.
Same!

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Lord of the Rings Online. Boring, generic, mindless WoW-clone (in terms of gameplay). But as a shameless Tolkien fanboy being in such a well-realised rendition of his created history is just too absorbing. Also about 3-5 hundred hrs.
Both, and way more than 500 on the latter. They’re still trying on LotRO but I guess they’re too committed to the Free (sic) to Play switch that destroyed the gameplay to fix the main problem.

As with the Amazon series the Tolkien family hobbits evidently have their price. Gameplay in Shadows of Angmar had its issues but all in all it was pretty damn good. Then they brought in the Farmville chick and it was faceroll time, and not even interesting faceroll. How do you raise the lvl cap 80 lvls or whatever it is now and not even bother to add any new skills?

BruceVC

Magister
Easily Witcher 3, the whole package with all the DLCs. I spent around 150 hours on that piece of shit, and that was *with* the autoloot radius mod and unlimited carry weight! I can't imagine having to actually interact with all those fucking loot nodes while playing.

Why? Definitely a combination of OCD, laziness, and the novelty of using my new 5.1 system with a new TV.
Please tell me you joking or you made a typo because you wrote Witcher 3....are you sure thats what you meant?

Sykar

Arcane
Daggerfall and Morrowind. Both are great examples of a game being better than the sum of its parts. Objectively speaking there is A LOT to criticise both games for and they should not get more than around 5 or 6 out 10, especially considering the mountains of bugs and very basic combat especially melee is really lacklustre to say the least. Despite this I got a lot of enjoyment out of them and Daggerfall is to this day unbeaten when it comes to open world scope and scale. Morrowind by contrast is a lot smaller but had a lot of great detail while still retaining its RPG components, while later instalments went to be barely recognizable as RPGs and overall shit tier despite some of the parts being objectively speaking being "greater" than those of Daggerfall and Morrowind like graphics and even melee combat is a little, albeit barely, better than the previous games. But they suffer from what I call severe MGR, Modern Gamer Retardation.

Vatnik Wumao
Inquisition since I still somewhat cared about the setting. The MMO tier gameplay was a slog to go through though, especially as a completionist.

Andromeda
Thankfully I wasn't as invested in the ME setting post-ME3 given the whole different galaxy angle of Andromeda. Haven't played it and probably never wiil.

There are some I really dislike but Gothic 3 comes to mind as I played this one a long time before giving up on it. It was utterly terrible, a complete trainwreck of a game when it appeared back in 2006. Full of enraging bugs, shitty storyline, a world so much less lifelike than the two earlier entries of the series. And still I invested quite some time in it. But I hated it, with a bleeding heart. The community patches at least made it playable but it still feels like an empty world devoid of the soul the first two games had.

And I really hated, oh abysmally hated Dragon Age 1. "Spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate" the review-whores called it - what a ludicrous statement. I never finished this shitty game but put still enough in it to really feel the lost life time. I was disgusted by the cheap story, the idiotic almost constant combat (was there ever a non-combat solution for any quest?), the unrealistic game world with almost no interactivity (the game didn't pass the "lure some monsters to a village and let the guards to the work for you"-test: You could literally herding a pack of wolves through a village and not the guards nor the villagers cared). I also hated the grotesque overuse of blood in this game. They tried to make their game "mature" with stuff like this but it all felt like a ridicuolus (but not funny) Monty Python sketch. Totally idiotic. I detest that game and I even was stupid enough to buy the Collector's Edition just because I believed the review whores. That's why I played it for quite some time but I hated every minute of it.

rubinstein

Educated
single player: oblivion. i hate it. probably around 600h put into it, but a lot of these hours were spent on modding in HGEC BBB tiddies. i was a horny teen.
nwn2 OC. still, i love it, and i've been replaying it at least once every 2-3 years for over a decade now. i am fully aware its a mediocre experience... but i enjoy the setting, plot, progression, dnd implementation. and it feels so dirty to start MotB with lord captain on level 20. and i love khelgar, that stupid dwarf. and, the most important part, i know how to rotate the camera.

multi: guild wars 2, like 3.5kh+ of wasted life. what a time sink... i simply didnt know better back then. i mean, i knew better, because i have 1.5kh in GW1, but i kept playing GW2, because i cared about the setting and GWs lore. i havent followed the franchise since PoF release, enough with this crap. should have stopped back in 2012.

Last edited:

CodexTotalWar

Learned
Skyrim for me too. I spent hours downloading cool armors and outfits put on my character only to never actually play the game.
Stopped once I realized I was basically playing the equivalent of Barbie: Todd Howard edition.

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
I have completed Neverwinter Nights II at 2010. I sweared to god that I'd never do stupid things like that again with my precious time.

...Next week I completed Dragon Age : Origins.... :mixedemotions:

Peachcurl

Cipher
Hard one. But I guess the worst quality / time-played ratio for me are Kingmaker and Mass Effect 2. Which doesn't necessarily mean they are horrible games, but they got more playtime from me than they should.

orcinator

Liturgist
Definitely Wasteland 2. I love games where you get to create your own party so I wanted to like it; I created a party, realized that it was total crap, restarted, created another party, got far enough to pick up NPCs and realized that I was wasting a bunch of points in duplicate skills, restarted again with a party that would synergize with my chosen NPCs and finally got to the 2nd act in California. But that part seemed even worse than the first one and I was already burned out several times over with all the shit; the save-scumming lootbox trashcans which each required a separate skill to open, the fake choices, the garbage writing, the hordes of interchangeable enemies. I honestly have no idea what the fuck happened with that game; all those man-hours to create something that was so needlessly retarded on so many levels.
I was in a dark place when I played that piece of shit and it only got darker when I finally finished it. Only worthwhile thing I got out of it was the knowledge that those who defend it aren't fully human.
And some decent portrait images for TTRPGS.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Oblivion was my first contact with CRPGs. I hated it but still put 115 hours on it before the realization that it wasn't gonna get better set in. Although to be honest, probably half of that was dedicated to modding, I just dicked around and never beat it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom