Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worst RPG You Spent The Most Hours On

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Probably some crappy portable game that I only played because I had nothing better to do at the time.
My next guess would be Dimensional Fighter Epsilon3, some Japanese dungeon crawler mixed with a light gun game, controlled by keyboard alone. That was something like 10 hours.
I think the popular answer would be Fallout 3, because I had the complete edition at a time when I didn't really have much better things to do and it was there. Beat the main story and the alien DLC, however long that's supposed to take, 20, 30 hours?

Saduj

Arcane
Usually, when I spend too much time on a game it is because it started out decent to good and at some point it became a slog but I feel compelled to finish it (Planet Alcatraz, Encased are good examples).

But I played Mechajammer for 31.4 hours without putting in much effort towards the main quest. This game had it all: tons of bugs, nonsensical systems, inscrutable quest design, tons of trash combat, the worst title ever, etc. And the only reason I stopped was due to a game breaking bug that was baked into my save. Can't tell you why.

Oblivion was my first contact with CRPGs. I hated it but still put 115 hours on it before the realization that it wasn't gonna get better set in. Although to be honest, probably half of that was dedicated to modding, I just dicked around and never beat it.
Oh yeah Oblivion is another one for me too. I hated this game but still played it for dozens of hours. I don't even know why, maybe I hoped it would get better. I find it the worst in the Elder Scrolls series. The only raison d'être for Oblivion is to be the neccessary basis to run Nehrim.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Oblivion got off to a very good start and felt like a substantial improvement on anything available at the time.

It was only when the level scaling started to bite and the wastelands behind the Oblivion Gates became apparent that the game turned into a slog.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Skyrim, I have a few hundred hours in it because every once in a while I install it and play for 15 hours trying and failing to relive my childhood.

Also The Witcher 3 with 200 hours because I had several attempts to get into it but just couldn't enjoy it past the Bloody Baron quest. Eventually I finished it by basically speedrunning it during a very sad boring weekend.

__scribbles__

Educated
Spent hours playing Fallout 3/4 a few years ago. They're really bad, but I did have fun fucking around until I had done all the non-quest-related content.
It speaks to their quality as Fallout games that you can only have fun if you actively ignore the quests.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's also a reminder just how long it takes for Bethesda to make a new game.
Skyrim: 2011
Fallout 4: 2015
Fallout 76: 2018
Starfield: Supposed to be 2022, slipped to 2023.

Bethesda has(had, probably) way too few devs to be split between two projects. I think people in general really overestimate how many devs work at bethesda.

Probably Pillars of Eternity. I kept hoping it would improve. Kept exploring to discover something worth finding. At the gates of the last city (Elmwood?), I asked myself, "Why am I doing this?" I did not merely quit, but uninstalled it. My guess is I put slightly above 60 hours in.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hmmm.. I tend to quit games quick if I think they are genuine shit. For example, I've started and even tried to restart various ones multiple times but all if UT combines gor maybe 30-40ish hours.

Maybe SOZ. I get enticed making my entire party, and the promised game play, only to realize the game itself is bad.

Divine Divinity 2, maybe? The one that let's you change into dragon?

Hmmm..

Dramart

Learned
Fallout New Vegas and Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines. Played like 40 hours to VTMB and around 100 hours to FNV and I finished the game. I don't think they're the worst but I didn't like them at all when I tried to play them again. Thinking about it I think the reason I liked them the first time it was because I liked the vampire and post-nuclear war setting in them. When I replayed them I had lost the interest in these settings and what I found in them was just a boring and bad combat, specially in VTMB, worthy of the worst games ever made.

rubinstein

Educated
Maybe SOZ. I get enticed making my entire party, and the promised game play, only to realize the game itself is bad.
yeah soz its like this. never really finished it. once i gave up just before the final boss, because he wiped my party, and i was not in the mood to try again
last month i tried the entire campaign again, and when i was sent on the last mission to kill him, i was like: nah, dont really feel like it, and just gave up
you pretty much summed it up with "I get enticed making my entire party". after you start up soz, you can feel this excitment rushing down your spine, when making a new set of gi joes, and planning some experimental, unorthodox builds, but then you become burnt out by mediocre writing, plot, and never-ending encounters.

Played like 40 hours to VTMB
eh, i am currently in hollywood, and i am starting to hate my character as its rather bad. i picked (female) tremere, and i used this 'blood magic' like maybe 3 times so far, only found it useful during gargoyle battle (i killed him, whatever). im not sure if i will finish the game, especially that i am in the second half, and the second half kinda... sucks.
when i played as ventrue i had similar feelings. vtmb is the most fun as stealth malk. obfuscate is just too useful, even if its inferior to the strongest discipline, or lack of it, called "quick saving".

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Was going to say dragon age 2 but then i remembered pillars of eternity 1, close call between them which was worst in my eyes.

But part of ops query was the most hours and i gave up on poe1 sometime after reaching the main city whereas when i played da2 it was at the height of my bioware fanboyism and was fuelled by copium, ffs game reviews for it were golden at launch so i should just stop thinking and consoom product….
Oh ffs ive been in this exact dungeon 10 times already, all you lazy mofos did was rotate the map and close off some doors. Thus was my innocence ruined and my faith in game journalists shattered (this was before gamer gate and i was still used to journos from the game magazine era which had its bad apples but were at least passionate about the hobby unlike modern journos).

Im still a biotard at heart but i always skip da2 when i get in a da mood, inquisition might have a lot of problems but if nothing else at least you get to visit varied locations and nice looking scenery in your single player mmo.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Was going to say dragon age 2 but then i remembered pillars of eternity 1, close call between them which was worst in my eyes.
DA2, no question.
DA2 is one of the worst RPGs with an actual budget ever created.

Pillows is mostly meh, with an added dose of nostalgiabaiting that makes people hate it more.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Well as i said, i stopped playing poe1 rather quickly so all i have is my very poor first impression, namely:

- clunky dialogue and prose filled rants for every mundanity, its not that im opposed to text heavy games but poe 1s writing was a horrible way to introduce a new setting.
-the impression that for monster placement and design encounter all the devs did was take the brush tool and mindlessly distribute monsters all over the map densely so you are fighting trolls every 2 steps like its a really annoying jrpg. Basically the same thing i used to do as a kid when making starcraft custom maps where i would brush in marines and zergs all over then load the map and watch the chaotic battle.

I was at least was able to power through da2 even if its with the power of consoomer cope, so thats why they occupy the same tier of bad in my brain.

The weird part about my poe1 hate is i unironically liked poe2, feel it got done dirty in sales.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It's also a reminder just how long it takes for Bethesda to make a new game.
Skyrim: 2011
Fallout 4: 2015
Starfield: Supposed to be 2022, slipped to 2023.

Bethesda has(had, probably) way too few devs to be split between two projects. I think people in general really overestimate how many devs work at bethesda.
One is a B team the other is Bethesda. So you remove 76....

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Sorry but I do not think that is accurate but I am pressed for time and not really giving a shit to verify...but I think they absorbed another studio for 76...sure maybe some guys went over...

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Two Worlds. I couldn't say why, despite the obviously awful voice acting it was compelling in its own way at at the time; though despite being quite young and having relatively little games literacy, I still knew it was total jank (without even knowing that word at the time, I think).

Don't remember enough of the story to even guess how much time I ultimately spent on it -- in fact all I can remember is one early area and some later arena thing -- but somewhere in the mid double-digits at least. Young/bored/overbearing parents x summer is the reason I guess.

Takamori

Learned
DA2 for sure, I finished that garbage asking myself why I paid for that piece of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom