Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worst RPG You Spent The Most Hours On

Erebus

Arcane
It took me only two days to realize that Wrath of the Righteous was a waste of my money, yet I still spent 183 hours desperately trying to have fun with the game. A combination of sunk cost fallacy and the good memories I had of Kingmaker, I guess. Also, I just couldn't believe that so much obvious effort could result in so disappointing a game.

As far as older games are concerned, I probably spent way too many hours on Arcanum, a game I consider to be extremely overrated by the Codex.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Can't think of any. Closest is probably Lands of Lore 2 with maybe 20 hours back in the day.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Sorry but I do not think that is accurate but I am pressed for time and not really giving a shit to verify...but I think they absorbed another studio for 76...sure maybe some guys went over...

Like you I am not really giving much shits but this might be what you remembered

Its a fairly long video but the part its at in the link goes into it a bit. There is more throughout the documentary about how Bethesda used multiple studios to help out with 76.

I am sure there are more videos out there, maybe some press conference or Geoff interviews.

Skdursh

Savant
Every Bethesda "RPG" after Morrowind (TES IV/V and FO 3/4). I put at least 40 hours into each one of them, but haven't finished any. The one which was the most enjoyable to play was, ironically, also the least similar to an actual RPG - FO4. The story was shit from the jump though I did enjoy the gameplay and exploration aspects, but it eventually became just as grating and boring as the rest. FO3 had some decent sections here and there, some of the sidequests and DLC actually converged on rare glimpses of "good" but the main quest is unquestionably retarded garbage. I have literally nothing positive to say about Oblivion and Skyrim, I hated them both immensely, especially the copy-pasted depressingly generic dungeons... though actually, I verrry slightly retract my hatred in regards to Skyrim, but only because without it there would have been no Enderal and I actually had a pretty decent time with Enderal.

I haven't played Fallout 76 and I never will. There is no point. I already know it's complete shit and I don't wish to waste my time on it when I have other things I can waste my time on instead.

Last edited:

Delphik

The Witcher 3, around 150 hours, since I had basically 0 experience in RPGs I thought it was the best game invented, after playing crpgs and NWN2 and replaying The Witcher I realized how shit it is.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Gothic 3. It was back when I still had hope for open world games. I also refuse to not play as a mage even though the devs always make shitty mages. The way the mage works is that you basically get 1 terrible spell for 10000 hours, and then you get a fireball that kills everything around you for the remainder of the game. It worked that way in G2 and I couldn't believe they would make a big new sequel that did it the same shitty way again. But that's exactly what they did.

Skdursh

Savant
Gothic 3. It was back when I still had hope for open world games. I also refuse to not play as a mage even though the devs always make shitty mages. The way the mage works is that you basically get 1 terrible spell for 10000 hours, and then you get a fireball that kills everything around you for the remainder of the game. It worked that way in G2 and I couldn't believe they would make a big new sequel that did it the same shitty way again. But that's exactly what they did.
Gothic 3 certainly has a lot of jank, especially in the very beginning, but there is a lot of goodness hidden under it all once you get past the first few hours. I personally think the world itself is really fun to explore, but regardless of that - since when has the combat in any of the Gothic games ever been good? Piranha Bytes has *literally* not made a single game up to present with good combat, but that isn't really the reason people play them.

The Witcher 3, around 150 hours, since I had basically 0 experience in RPGs I thought it was the best game invented, after playing crpgs and NWN2 and replaying The Witcher I realized how shit it is.

Imagine loving something only to realize it pales before the glory of NWN2.
:stunned:
I would congratulate you on the sick burn if it weren't so tragic.

Angriph

Novice
Dragon Age Origins: I felt physically sick as the end credits started to roll in. I had waited one semester to come home and play it in the Xbox360 and was completely hyped. Then at the end it sunk at me how shitty the experience had been. Then I went to the forums I used to write at and everyone there was praising the game, I felt like surrounded by aliens. It was soon after that I started lurking the codex. I don't know, probably the time I spent was around 50 hours?
Mass Effect 2: Not an RPG but what a turd. It was the only time I felt I was throwing my life away while playing a videogame. Probably didn't even spend 20 hours.
Pillars of Eternity: I started it twice because so many people were calling it the new BG and the first time it hadn't clicked, but soon I found playing it unbearable and happily never looked back after reaching the city for the second time. Steam says I played it 40 hours.
NWN2: SOZ: I am not surprised to see I am not the only one who arrived to the final boss and quit the game just before that. Maybe 30 hours? I would rather play Conan Chronicles or Trinity.
IWD: I tried to play it alone but found it boring as hell with almost no story going on. Then I enlisted a friend and we finished it after 7 years of online play. Still think it's bad but we had a blast.
DOS1: After my friend and I finished IWD we started playing DOS but he didn't follow the objectives so we broke up. Then I continued until the 3rd map or so but couldn't take it anymore.

Edit: Forgot The Witcher 3... but it was the first lockdown so I will give it a pass.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Neverwinter Night 1 and 2
I had nothing else to play at the time due to shitty PC. Nothing interesting in gaming magazines (they come with full games every months), but for a few months there was this absolute drough that motivated me to play NWN1.
The worst part? Did not play expansion packs for NWN1, never knew they existed. Missed good parts of this dubious experience just like that...
Then comes NWN2 - gameplay was bad but the installation process was just the beginning. Installing all that crap from discs, then it get automatic updates from unstable servers on mediocre connection.. gave me at least one grey hair. Now you can play campaing with small chance of some bug happening due to faulty installation or automatic updates.

also Gorasul - Legacy of the Dragon
Because I've played only RPGs translated to Potato (preferably with voices) no matter how bad it was. Which also explains why Gothic is the religion in Potato country, which I could not play because - as usual - my PC couldn't handle it...
At least Gorasul had cool things like talking sword (with its own skill page) and some cool spellbook, which might be good enough for me to start Let's Play in Codex Playground but I'm too lazy for that now...

Last edited:

FriendlyMerchant

Lets face it, the rpg genre is terrible. They're all terrible. The closest rpg/rpglike game to a good game I've played is Star Sector. Mostly because it has good smuggling gameplay and I like making that credits number go higher.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Pillars of Eternity - 44 hours

But it was an important step in my journey to finding old school RPGs. Without Pillars of Eternity I wouldn't have played KoTC, DO2, Kingmaker, AoD, etc. Also I would probably be gamedeving first person shooters or RTS games, instead of RPGs.

jackofshadows

Magister
Why oh why had I thought this would be a promising thread? Oblivion, Witcher 3, PkM… yaaaawn. Those are your worst RPGs that you've played for hours upon hours? Give up on the entire genre maybe then finally?

On topic: that recent Swansong vampire game, 5-6 hours that I gave to it was too much for sure.

Sykar

Arcane
Why oh why had I thought this would be a promising thread? Oblivion, Witcher 3, PkM… yaaaawn. Those are your worst RPGs that you've played for hours upon hours? Give up on the entire genre maybe then finally?

On topic: that recent Swansong vampire game, 5-6 hours that I gave to it was too much for sure.
That is not quite right. It is about the worst RPG you spent the most hours on. That does not even mean that the RPG is particularly bad per se. Just the relatively worst in which you sunk a lot of hours in compared to better RPGs which you actually might have spent less on since they are shorter or have less replay value. See Daggerfall vs Planescape:Torment.

Gaznak

Learned
Diablo 3 (with RoS) most likely. Couldn't take my ass from it until the final video despite keenly feeling and knowing for sure it's an empty shitfake all the time playing (as Crusader). Never played it again with any other class, never planned to.

otsego

Cipher
Oblivion, Witcher 3, and D:OS2.

Oblivion because I was fascinated with the graphics and was fiending for some Elder Scrolls since I loved Daggerfall and Morrowind. I refused to play Skyrim after this, and I'll be fucked if I put more than 10 hours into "Fallout" 3.
Witcher 3 because similarly I like the Witcher series but the decline from 1->2->3 was so evident I had to stop. 100+ hours before I realized I was doing it just to complete it so I just finally stopped.
D:OS2 not because I think it was a terrible game (I even played it together with Swen at Comicon one year), but the absolute downgrade it was compared to D:OS1 left me in utter and bitter disappointment. 150+ hours, including co-op, regardless.

Delphik

Imagine loving something only to realize it pales before the glory of NWN2.
:stunned:
I would congratulate you on the sick burn if it weren't so tragic.
When NWN2 is better than The Witcher 3 you can tell it's fucking garbage

NWN2 OC is just exceedingly bland and mediocre. It is the beige if RPGs. Its complete linearity and extensive length drag it down to tedium. That it could so strongly outshine anything was an opinion I was unprepared to ever read.

The expansions were good, though. Credit where credit is due.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I want an RPG where I can walk up to an NPC and tell them exactly how I'm feeling

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom