Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worst RPG You Spent The Most Hours On

Ladonna

Arcane
Pool of Radiance 2. Being a huge fan of the original, I kept playing through, hoping for the payoff. It never really appeared, though the second part was a bit better.

thesecret1

Arcane
D:OS2, probably. Started alright but got worse and worse with every hour. Dropped about midway through.

More recently, Solasta. Only put in about 10 hours, but I was terminally bored all throughout.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
LOL at all the people who make excuses for playing games like Pillars, Divinity OS, Witcher, Pathfinder for hundreds of hours. Just admit that you liked them fuckers, no need to play the cool codex kid.

Codex Year of the Donut
LOL at all the people who make excuses for playing games like Pillars, Divinity OS, Witcher, Pathfinder for hundreds of hours. Just admit that you liked them fuckers, no need to play the cool codex kid.
I genuinely hate deadfire though.
Liked wm1+2

typical user

Arbiter
Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Jeez I felt lobotomized after I finished every single fetch-quest, every single question mark and did absolutely everthing in the base game.

Ryzer

Arcane
Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim, I tried to fix the game as much as I can. Unfortunately, even the core of games must be changed in order to make it good.

jackofshadows

Magister
Why oh why had I thought this would be a promising thread? Oblivion, Witcher 3, PkM… yaaaawn. Those are your worst RPGs that you've played for hours upon hours? Give up on the entire genre maybe then finally?

On topic: that recent Swansong vampire game, 5-6 hours that I gave to it was too much for sure.
That is not quite right. It is about the worst RPG you spent the most hours on. That does not even mean that the RPG is particularly bad per se. Just the relatively worst in which you sunk a lot of hours in compared to better RPGs which you actually might have spent less on since they are shorter or have less replay value. See Daggerfall vs Planescape:Torment.
To quote OP:
Just point out that one RPG you have more hours logged on than is reasonable for such a crap game.
Take Oblivion for example: yes, it's a very crappy game and yet it still deserves its spot at the Codex 101, get what I'm saying? If someone feels that there're better things to do than to play Oblivion (there certainly are) then just drop that shit and do something else. Problem is, this approach goes beyond RPGs if not gaming in general. But my point was more about avoiding of citing x game from the same top 101 or any well-known around here one (although it was cool to read as Pink Eye cite PkM but that was an exception).

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Earlier i said Skyrim and TW3 but that was a mistake. I must've purged DOS:2 from my memory. I would've quit earlier but I was doing a coop playthrough with my girlfriend and ended up spending 120 hours on it. It's one of the worst RPG's I've ever played, matched only by Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition. The combat is garbage and becomes extremely repetitive once you unlock all your abilities (which happens quite early,) and the dynamic surfaces of the first game turned into an undispellable permanent fire caltrops, ruining the thing that made the first game so engaging. The writing and companions were mostly terrible too, at least the first game didn't take itself seriously, the second game was constantly going between grimdark and quirky. Some of the companions like Fane and The Beast were alright but most of them came off like tumblr ocs or something. It's like if you're playing a D&D campaign and you're just a normal adventurer while the DM is showing off all their cool and quirky NPCS that are totally better than you. This can be fixed by picking an origin character but I hate the idea of playing someone elses character in an otherwise freeform expansive CRPG.

Good engine though. I look forward to BG3 :)

CanadianCorndog

Learned
I think I put 40+ hours into Oblivion. I played it when my first kid was born and I would veg out on the couch and play it while he slept on my chest. I can't remember anything remarkable about it except some of the lighting in the caves was well done.

Codexcel: I played this game for 60 hours and I came to the conclusion that it's shit.

Some retard: Lol, you silly boy, you played this game for 60 hours? Just admit you liked it.

Codexcel: I played this game for 3-5 hours and I came to the conclusion that it's shit.

Some retard: Noooo, that's not merely enough time to objectively judge this masterpiece, play it MOORE!

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Grim Dawn is the one.
How long? I can't remember - that long.
Why? The gambling machine gameplay? Boredom?

Other D2-clones come close but at least in Diablo 2 itself I made a friend that i keep contact with after more than 15 years. I also learnt a thing or two about trading that can be related to real life (seriously). In Titan Quest and Path of Exile I had some fun. No such excuse for Grim Dawn.

BanEvader

Skyrim.
I still remember creating a character, leveling up, finishing the tutorial, reaching Riverwood and wondering "but where do I pick my class?" Then I finally realized.
But you know I bought the fucking thing and there was a lot of content so I finished it.
And then replayed it for a second time. I guess the landscapes were nice.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Good question! I'm not certain. Probably one from my childhood. Choices were limited back in the olden days. I can't think of any I dislike. I did, recently, try to replay through Wizardry 6 and wasn't able to get into it. I couldn't stop playing it when it came out, and replayed it a bunch. Ultima Underworld would be another. I also played Ultima Ascension way too much, as well as Betrayal at Krondor. When I was young and broke, if I paid money for something nothing was going to stop me from getting my money's worth.

Sjukob

Arcane
Codexcel: I played this game for 60 hours and I came to the conclusion that it's shit.

Some retard: Lol, you silly boy, you played this game for 60 hours? Just admit you liked it.

Codexcel: I played this game for 3-5 hours and I came to the conclusion that it's shit.

Some retard: Noooo, that's not merely enough time to objectively judge this masterpiece, play it MOORE!
Frankly, I don't even understand why that "argument" exists.

Some people make effort to quit their bad habbits, get a healthier life style, get a better job, realize that they've been doing something wrong and stop it. And, of course, it's viewed as something positive, yet for some reason when it comes to video games the same logic doesn't apply. Why? I don't know. Better late than never I say.

Robotigan

Learned
I can't even remember the name of it, but it was some flash game where you picked a starting character then conquered the entire world by going from town to town and defeating each town's champion and his army. You could hire your own lackies and purchase better equipment at towns. Kind of like Mount & Blade, but the quality of a flash game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Frankly, I don't even understand why that "argument" exists.

Some people make effort to quit their bad habbits, get a healthier life style, get a better job, realize that they've been doing something wrong and stop it. And, of course, it's viewed as something positive, yet for some reason when it comes to video games the same logic doesn't apply. Why? I don't know. Better late than never I say.
Quitting a bad habit still means that you enjoyed doing that bad habit, even if it was bad for you. The same applies here. You enjoyed playing that videogame, no need to make excuses.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Among more recent "gems", played Operencia for about 15 hours and was bored the whole time. Somehow hoped it would get better, but I doubt it.

Laz Sundays

Educated
Lionheart - Legacy of the Crusader. I'm still playing it. Every year. It's garbage and I like it, so many elements of it are cool and relaxing.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
new vegas most likely. i just liked the hiking everything else was dreary shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom