Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline There's nothing more immersive than music

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Most soundtracks are a straight miss tho. As is the writing, but the music seems to get an easier time.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I definitely think game (and movie) soundtracks are way more important than a lot of people think. Would wandering out in Morrowind have been as fun without the soundtrack? Would Deus Ex's Hong Kong be as memorable? Not saying it's the most important thing, but it's a big deal.

Movies (and games sometimes) going more for ambient sound nowadays is a travesty.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Unless the game has great ambient sounds turning off the music only hurts the experience. Sure if you really walked through a forest, you wouldn't hear a piano, but then you'd feel the sun and the breeze. Smell the mostly lovely smells. There's a lot to actually being someplace that game developers can't mimic properly and the proper music is the closest they're going to get to doing it right for a while.

Lemming42

Arcane
Said it on here before but RuneScape's soundtrack is fucking legendary. You can say what you will about the game (and many have), but it's easily one of the most underrated video game soundtracks of all time. Literally hundreds of memorable tunes, and so much variance in style, tone, instruments used, and all that. One of the most evocative soundtracks ever in making you vividly remember the game when you hear the music, even if you've not played in over a decade.

The trend towards orchestral and ambient music in recent games sucks, probably done as part of an attempt to make games more like movies, and in a completely mistaken belief that a fantastic soundtrack with memorable hooks and melodies would distract from the action.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
A soundtrack needs to provide atmosphere and mood first, contributions to your sense of immersion should stay a byproduct rather than the explicit goal.

Casual Hero

Augur
Music has always been one of the best parts of my gaming experience in life, and the music is usually what sticks with me the longest after playing a game.

Breath of the Wild took a pretty neat approach; the overworld music was incorporated into the sound design of the game itself, and takes kind of a back seat to the sounds around the player. Of course, each town gets its own theme still, which makes the music that the game does explicitly play all the more memorable.

I'm always a bit surprised when I hear someone say they mute music in every game they play, and I hadn't really heard about that until i came here.
Maybe it's more comforting to people to have music turned off if they grew up with nothing but a PC speaker that beeped and booped? :p

Edit: In all seriousness, I would say that for me personally there is nothing more immersive than music. The music can tell you so much about the tone and feeling of the area that you can interpret almost instantly as the player. It's not secret that we get a lot of emotional response from music, and so when used properly, music totally enhances the "feeling" you can get from an area in a game.
I hate to bring it up, but in Skyrim walking up a wooded hill and looking out across a starry lit sky while hearing Jeremy Soule's strings welling in the distance is just something else.
I suppose that you could argue that music is decline because it "railroads" players' emotions, but that is getting a little too meta, lol.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I definitely think game (and movie) soundtracks are way more important than a lot of people think. Would wandering out in Morrowind have been as fun without the soundtrack? Would Deus Ex's Hong Kong be as memorable? Not saying it's the most important thing, but it's a big deal.

Movies (and games sometimes) going more for ambient sound nowadays is a travesty.
I played all of morrowind without sound. Have no idea what the music is like in that game. I didn't enjoy it though, so who knows. I doubt adding music would make that game half decent.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Good music is hugely important in games, more so than graphics. It can create fantastic atmosphere and really draw you in the game. So yes, music is very immersive.

I'm always a bit surprised when I hear someone say they mute music in every game they play, and I hadn't really heard about that until i came here.

Well some people here tend to be a bit retarded.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Good music is hugely important in games, more so than graphics. It can create fantastic atmosphere and really draw you in the game. So yes, music is very immersive.

Sound can be very immersive. Music coming out of the air is only immersive if you're in a fantasy world in which the air happens to be a well-trained musician that can play multiple instruments at once.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Sound can be very immersive. Music coming out of the air is only immersive if you're in a fantasy world in which the air happens to be a well-trained musician that can play multiple instruments at once.
Well, technically yes but it is really overthinking it. This way films shouldn't have music either. Good music puts you in the mood and helps you get immersed. I'm not saying a game can't be immersive without music, but at least for me, music helps a lot.

soulburner

Cipher
I disable music in most first person perspective games. I liked it in Morrowind and Oblivion, but disliked it in Skyrim and modern Fallouts.
Even though I love the soundtrack to Quake 2 I never played it with music on. I could not play nuDooms with it enabled. I recall playing one installment of Call of Duty where the option to disable music wasn't available in the menu, because they hired some AAA composer or something like that. Didn't finish it.

I cannot imagine FO, BG, IWD, P:T or Divinity series without the music.

rado907

Savant
Music matters, but graphics, art direction, and dialogue also help.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
When playing a game for the first time, you should always try to go through it with sound on, since sometimes the soundtrack can do a lot to improve the experience. If you play through Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2 without listening to the main theme and other key tracks, you won't get the full experience:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
IWD music is pretty good... when I'm not playing IWD. I'll listen to it afterwards when I'm trying to force myself to sleep but during gameplay it only gets in the way. Skeleton of a town is one of my favourites.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom