Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

There's something very wrong with Fallout: New Vegas music

Jarmaro

Liturgist
And no, I am not talking about radio. I am talking about music in background. I played Falliut 1 and 2 not so long ago so I actually could realize they share many tracks.
So...
Someone retarded implemented it. I understand they wanted to "bring back old memories" or something like that, it's their legacy after all, but did they seriously need to use it so many times?
The result is very anticlimatic and immersion breaking, approach some Followers' little building and you get F1 The Cathedral track, go to abandoned vault and you get old Vault theme, but problem is it contains voices.
It was driving me insane to sneak trough rusty, old, destroyed corridors and hear laughs and talking in the background all the time.
There are some more examples of course.

Have anyone before seen this as a problem?
Or am I just too sensitive?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Me myself turned off the Radio and was playing hearing those old tunes myself; they are far less muh immersion braking than ''Joohny Guitar'' or ''Big Iron'' after all.

Well the latter was good to listen to while making cowboy playtrough to be honest.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Those songs bringing back old memories were the best part of NV for me and one of the few things that made me remember this was supposed to be a Fallout game.

And fuck Johnny Guitar. It was fine once, but the radio repeating forever is retarded.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Inon Zur's music was trash in both Gamebryo releases. F1/F2 music obviously isn't tailor-made for those games, but they do improve overall atmosphere to a certain point.
Obsidian was smart enough to include them from teh get go, I had to do it myself in that F3 piece of shit.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Me myself turned off the Radio and was playing hearing those old tunes myself; they are far less muh immersion braking than ''Joohny Guitar'' or ''Big Iron'' after all.

Well the latter was good to listen to while making cowboy playtrough to be honest.
Also the radio gets really repetitive.The best way to play it is to just turn on the VEF and listen to some music.

Starwars

Arcane
I think they could've placed some of the tracks in better places for sure, but overall I'm glad that they used some of the old music. Helped tie it to the old games, gave it the proper feel.

Of course, was a shame that they never used the Arroyo music for either Red Rock Canyon or some place in Zion. And the Redding music would've fit in well somewhere as well.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
In case I didn't spoke myself clearly, I am not saying these tracks are bad. I think they are good.
But I don't want to hear such thing as Metallic Monks when I walk fucking cassino.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Inon Zur's music was trash in both Gamebryo releases. F1/F2 music obviously isn't tailor-made for those games, but they do improve overall atmosphere to a certain point.
Obsidian was smart enough to include them from teh get go, I had to do it myself in that F3 piece of shit.
The tracks are great. You remind me of those faggots at No Mutants Allowed that got their shit pushed in by Something Awful. I've played the originals a lot longer than the Cuckdex, and I enjoyed the music from Fallout: 3.

mbv123

Arbiter
Exploring Vault 22 with "The Vault of the Future" in the background was great while torching spore mutants with flamethrower.
:timetoburn:

Starwars

Arcane
Well, is there any mod that does do that? I've only found one which replaces everything with the F1/F2 soundtracks. I would still like to keep the music composed for NV, it'd just be nice to have something that maybe shuffles the F1/F2 music around to where the tracks may make a bit more sense.

Black Angel

Arcane
Hmm, tbh the vanilla arrangement of reused ambient music from F1&2 didn't really bother me; in fact, I was tempted to use the mod I mentioned because I actually want to hear more of the classic's ambient music in New Vegas. In the end, the mod actually made it weird for me, so I get rid of it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just download foobar2000 and download these from youtube, or make a youtube playlist.

After a while I got bored with the original radiostations and I started building my own playlist. I felt like there were three genres fitting the game - big band, country, and those popular 40s - 50s classics which I find difficult to assign to a genre.
For big band I chose the following
  1. Bobby Darin - Ace In The Hole (Live)
  2. 1946 HITS ARCHIVE: The Dark Town Poker Club - Phil Harris (his original ARA version)
  3. Bobby Darin & Johnny Mercer - Two of a kind
  4. "Opus Two" Tommy Dorsey
  5. 1946 HITS ARCHIVE: Hey Ba-Ba-Re-Bop - Lionel Hampton (vocal by Hamp & the band)
  6. 1946 HITS ARCHIVE: One-Zy Two-Zy (I Love You-zy) - Freddy Martin (Martin Men, vocal)
  7. Frank Sinatra All of Me
  8. Frank Sinatra - Fly Me To The Moon
  9. Dean Martin - "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" (Lyrics)
  10. Frank Sinatra- I've got you under my skin
There are more good ones, but I don't want to shift my soundtrack too much in one direction, and I want to keep the overall number manageable. No clear transition from big band to popular songs:
  1. Frank Sinatra - The World We Knew (Over and Over) - This is Sawyer-Approved breaks the theme a bit, I guess, but it would be great for the main menu
  2. 1953 HITS ARCHIVE: We’ll Meet Again - Vera Lynn
  3. I’ve Heard That Song Before - Harry James (Helen Forrest, vocal) -- this is actually marked as an FNV song in the video. It's a later, cleaner sounding version of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYgZEk2xtBM
  4. Peggy Lee - It's A Good Day (lyrics) -- picked for the contrast against the overall post-apocalyptic atmosphere
  5. Judy Garland - Get Happy - Summer Stock - 1950 -- contains lyrics like "we're heading across the river, wash your sins away in the tide. It's quiet and peaceful on the other side."
  6. 1946 HITS ARCHIVE: Doin' What Comes Natur'lly - Dinah Shore & Spade Cooley
  7. 1946 HITS ARCHIVE: Doctor Lawyer Indian Chief - Betty Hutton (a #1 record)
  8. 1948 HITS ARCHIVE: Nature Boy - Nat King Cole (his original #1 version)
  9. 1949 HITS ARCHIVE: A Little Bird Told Me - Evelyn Knight (a #1 record)
  10. 1949 HITS ARCHIVE: Riders In The Sky - Vaughn Monroe (a #1 record)
1957 HITS ARCHIVE: Raunchy - Ernie Freeman - not sure what genre does this fall into, but it's pretty good for outdoors exploration/combat
Country and Blues:
  1. Lonesome Traveller - Karl Denver -- too late version but the best one
  2. Johnny Cash - Don't take your guns to town
  3. Johnny Cash - A boy named Sue
  4. Johnny Cash - Wanted Man
  5. Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues -- I know folsom prison is in California, but it's still a prison and it's the Western states
  6. Howlin' Wolf - Forty Four -- the game uses ammo separated by calibers and there is .44
  7. Howlin' Wolf - I Asked For Water (She Gave Me Gasoline)
  8. lightnin' hopkins - bring me my shotgun -- Hopkins was from Texas, plus the song reminds me of Boone's story, only in the song it's the singer who wants to shoot his wife
  9. Howlin' Wolf - Spoonful
There's a lot more that could be added or some songs substituted for others. If you have songs that fit the FNV setting well, put them up.

Black Angel

Arcane
Y'know, it's actually been a while since I've realized that Inon Zur's track in New Vegas actually ain't that bad. Waking up in Doc Mitchell's house and then going through the character creation procedure just won't be the same without Rubble of the Forgotten playing in the background. And I fondly remembered enjoying the wild west-esque ambient soundtrack playing in the background as I traverse through the Mojave Wastes. So what Inon Zur actually needed is a proper direction from people who're actually competently familiar with Fallout, because fuck Fallout 3's ambient soundtrack fits the Elder Scrolls games more than Fallout.

Ive got sort of a complex with notable people with strangely odd names and looked up this Audacity cowboy with the cur name and lo and behold:
396px-Inon_Zur_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Every. Fucking. Time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom