Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Theseus: Journey to Athens - C&C RPG made in GMS 2

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Agesilaus, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Moaning_Clock SmokeSomeFrogs Developer

Moaning_Clock
    That sounds fucking horrible. I understand why just remaking it sounds a lot more appealing but still it's a shame. :dealwithit: I hope at least the last sale was a small success!

The competition is fierce nowadays

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Moaning_Clock SmokeSomeFrogs Developer

Moaning_Clock
    Finished my third playthrough! After finishing my Imperial Guards run in Age of Decadence, I still wanted to play more but another Age of Decadence run (or Dungeon Rats run) felt way too long but thankfully Theseus came to mind! The last time I played the game was two months ago and I needed a moment to adjust to the controls.

Spoiler-free opinion: Still rough gem! This short format really fits the game, testing out the different paths is fun and even though it's clunky you get used to it.

Show Spoiler
    I had a run where I was on the water and another by foot. In both runs I had a few fights but mostly avoided them because I didn't get the required skill points in the first chapter. This time I tried to do more or less as much fights as possible. Killed the bandits, killed the jeweler daughter, raided the temple, annoyed the flute guy, helped my old teacher, killed the club guy, killed the flute guy, got the rod but didn't bring it back (nice that it was useful in fights! I simply had forgotten it lol) sacrificed the baker (sided with boutes), killed the pigs and the trap man, got his daughter (thanks to the jewelery), killed the boxing guy. The fights felt too minimalistic in my last runs but with company it's a lot better! The trap man daughter had two interesting skills (is this the only mentioning of a dice in the healing? felt out of place but maybe I didn't notice the rest) and I liked the archer teacher. First time I noticed the health increase due to my constitution increases. I still think that there's stuff in the game left but I don't know where. I remember that I had some options with poseidon and since I only did go that route really once there might be something. And how do you increase intelligence? Combat feels a bit too easy with company but it makes sense that without company it's the hard way.

[​IMG]

I would be interested how many playthroughs you think are viable for this game to see 99% what it has to offer?

Show Spoiler
    Endstats

[​IMG]

Minor inconsistency - I already had spoken with her.

[​IMG]

Minor inconsistency 2: Had company.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. AdolfSatan Arcane

AdolfSatan
    INT is actually botched, you can't raise it further than 2 because there aren't any events to give you the experience.

How to get those points:
    Show Spoiler
    Sacrificing to Poseidon and by bribing a priest

I'd say 3 or 4 play-throughs are enough to see all the content, provided you save/load at some points to try the shorter dead ends like being a baker and so on.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Moaning_Clock SmokeSomeFrogs Developer

Moaning_Clock
    Yeah, did a short run to see the baker ending! I also encountered only one way (I think) to increase Wisdom - are there more? Thanks!

Show Spoiler
    There are two major endings? The Poseidon one and the King one?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Moaning_Clock SmokeSomeFrogs Developer

Moaning_Clock
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014

I am sure there's more than one way to increase wisdom, but I'm afraid I don't remember where. I do have a list of all the attribute descriptions, if you are interested:

Show Spoiler

In regards to your other question,

Show Spoiler

Yes, there's at least one more ending. If you participate in the sacrifice to Zeus Lykaios, you can become a werewolf and lead the monsters to Athens. There was also supposed to be a Boutes-related ending, but I don't think I ever implemented that.

Hah, awesome stuff. I would only add that there are also combat-related items. For example, if you let Connidas die you get his bow, which gives you a multi-shot special ability which is very powerful. If you get the stick in Epidauros, you can shoot acid blasts. I think those are the only two special abilities that Theseus gets.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    In honour of the thread being bumped, I have put the game on sale. It's 50% off, sale lasts a fortnight. The sale doesn't take effect until tomorrow, Steam won't let me start it immediately.

There are standardised Steam sales throughout the year, and if I remember I put the game on sale during them, but Steam doesn't let people share the exact dates.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Moaning_Clock SmokeSomeFrogs Developer

Moaning_Clock
    I didn't play the game enough to give a more detailed guide, so I sticked to the very basics but I'll mention that there are items. The companions were easy because you can see how many you get at maximum.

interesting - but most of them can't get to five, or?

How many copies do you usually sell during a sale if I may ask? Always wondered how indie niche rpgs are doing.

And I will try what you mentioned!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    You apparently can't get 5 in all categories. Let's not dwell on how or why it turned out that way, I'm sure I had a good reason. :obviously:

This game is definitely not a money maker, but the actual received income has been enough to cover the financial expenses of making it. Which is probably what I deserved for an unpolished after-work project: a learning experience, my own little game on steam, and my actual bills paid off (software, graphics, music).

Right now it sells a handful of copies every month when not on sale. For this month, it has sold 5 copies and been added to 12 wishlists. When it is on sale, it spikes - I had it 50% off from June 24 to July 7 (Steam Summer Sale). It sold 32 copies during that sale, which is gross revenue of $64. In total it sold over 300 copies on Steam, and some more on Itch, at various different price points (it used to cost more than 5$ until recently, and I've put it on sale from time to time). It's still on 855 wishlists and growing, so apparently there's still a market for it.

Obviously I would need to produce something much better, and/or much more popular, than this if I want to make a living as an indie game developer. I am happy that it continues to sell even though it was released more than 2 years ago. On the other hand, I really don't track it anymore. I stopped paying attention; every so often Steam sends me an email saying I made more or less than the minimum deposit level, and every so often Steam asks me to put it on sale for an upcoming event.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Moaning_Clock SmokeSomeFrogs Developer

Moaning_Clock
    Tbh that sounds great, that you could cover all expenses and will make a profit over time. Sure, it's not a money printer but getting 32 new potential players from a sale is awesome (and at least one actual player - me, picked it up in that time-frame). And with bundles (on Steam with your next game or otherwise) it surely can give you some shekels for years. For the first commercial project this sounds awesome! Thanks for being so open!

How's your next game going?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    I have a few projects going on, but I have learnt not to predict release dates or development milestones. I put aside my work on Siege of Plataea to remake an old 80s game, but lately I've been more focused on improving web development skills. Then I'll convert my PDF into a website and expand it again, and somewhere along the line I'll finish that 80s remake. I see you're working a title too, with any luck you are a more dedicated and careful developer than me :lol:

^ Top  
  12. Moaning_Clock SmokeSomeFrogs Developer

Moaning_Clock
    Good luck then - really looking forward to your next projects. Would love to see an updated version of Theseus or a Remake. It really feels like it's missing 1-2 months of development time to really polish it up.

I feel really bad when I don't finish stuff and every longer project needs to make money since I'm self-employed. But calling it dedicated sounds a lot nicer lol

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Moaning_Clock SmokeSomeFrogs Developer

Moaning_Clock
    Theseus is on its all-time low price. After you've ripped off the Grimwah guy, rip off the Theseus guy :mixedemotions:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. 680x0 Learned

680x0
    overpriced :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • sheeeeiiiit sheeeeiiiit x 1
    • sad sad x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    I forbid you from playing my game, no soup for you
    :outrage:

• Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Sukhāvatī a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī Patron

Sukhāvatī
    Bought. :)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. GentlemanCthulhu Savant

GentlemanCthulhu
    Man I so want a massive CRPG set in ancient Greece. Why are devs so fucking blind to its potential. Why is it UrinalSoft of all people whose ever made a Greek "RPG".

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Too homoerotic for the 99% of human population.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    You and half the Codex, except they want no combat and the whole "adventure" happening in Mykonos...

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.