Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Theseus: Journey to Athens - C&C RPG made in GMS 2

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Congratulations on the great effort, I always loved ancient Greece as setting for PnP games. I'll buy it soon.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I found the bug the user on steam was reporting - my scripts for saving/loading are missing one variable. Therefore if you load a saved game and walk into town in Epidauros, it will throw an error. I am updating the build right now. So far that's the only reported bug, but I will continue play testing and keeping an eye out for reports.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Agesilaus so i played the game, is it supposed to be right?

after the first town, the chapter ending slide came. it said my mentor got killed by beasts even though i helped him and won against the boars when you went hunting with him. is it a bug or he always die?

anyway i like the game. the top down art is beautiful, everything is pretty minimalist, but still work as an RPG. i like how you gain stats by making decisions.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Didn't know this is out and even went full commercial.

Well, then.

upload_2019-3-2_15-47-42.png

:salute:

:greatjob:

To the loved days we shared alone,
Leda, beyond the moons and miles
The swan of my desire has flown.

Again you stand, as once you stood,
Naked, with sun-ignited hair,
Before the dark Hellenic wood

That hangs beside that halcyon sea:
And all my heart is turned to love,
And love fulfills the veins of me.

No Syrinx flees, no satyr sallies
From the still oaks and brooding bays:
In us their ancient rapture rallies

That sweeps away the world, and brings
Once more the many-flowered prime
After an age of flowerless things.

To the loved days we shared alone,
Leda, beyond the moons and miles
The swan of my desire has flown.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

after the first town, the chapter ending slide came. it said my mentor got killed by beasts even though i helped him and won against the boars when you went hunting with him. is it a bug or he always die?

anyway i like the game. the top down art is beautiful, everything is pretty minimalist, but still work as an RPG. i like how you gain stats by making decisions.

That's definitely not supposed to happen, and oddly enough I don't think the bug existed in the demo.

I will fix today and make a new release/update available.

I think I know what happened, although it's an easy fix either way. One of the last things I did was make it so that if you have Connidas in your party, he warns you not to travel by boat. If you go by boat, he leaves the party - I wonder if I mistakenly killed him rather than merely removed him, hence the slide being incorrect.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

That's definitely not supposed to happen, and oddly enough I don't think the bug existed in the demo.

I will fix today and make a new release/update available.

I think I know what happened, although it's an easy fix either way. One of the last things I did was make it so that if you have Connidas in your party, he warns you not to travel by boat. If you go by boat, he leaves the party - I wonder if I mistakenly killed him rather than merely removed him, hence the slide being incorrect.
nice. Thanks. Will continue when it is fixed

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
It is pretty enjoyable so far.

Kinda like more casual age of decadence. The branching part seems to be quite extensive too. In chapter one alone i could see some pretty serious divergent.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
A few complaints:

- walking speed should be faster, or there should be an option to set walking speed; options menu is very sparse in general but I'll blame that on the engine you used
- only having one save slot in a game with so much branching is bad; if it's in any way possible, multiple save slots would be appreciated

Other than that, it's pretty good.

Here's a bug I found:
3jsKIKP.png

This seems to consistently happen when I refuse to do the human sacrifice at the Apollo sanctuary after listening to the gods there, and then attempt to return to the town.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Bit of an OT, but I just got a huge flashback of the gamebook trilogy "Cretan Chronicles" from when I was a kid.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
A few complaints:

- walking speed should be faster, or there should be an option to set walking speed; options menu is very sparse in general but I'll blame that on the engine you used
- only having one save slot in a game with so much branching is bad; if it's in any way possible, multiple save slots would be appreciated

Other than that, it's pretty good.

Here's a bug I found:
3jsKIKP.png

This seems to consistently happen when I refuse to do the human sacrifice at the Apollo sanctuary after listening to the gods there, and then attempt to return to the town.

Yep, I've started worrying whether one save is enough. It was certainly EASIER to just have one, but that's only a good reason from a lazy perspective. I will put additional save slots as a priority for the first content patch. The walking speed, even if I disagree, is still easy to fix. I'll likely make an "advanced settings" button on the main menu for increasing movement speed and some other things, but I don't have art assets for it so I will need to contact the artist (or just redraw some currently existing buttons myself).

Thanks for catching that bug. I know what would cause that; basically when you go to a new area the various characters are created. Depending on variables, they are assigned a text file that contains the dialogue. If you try to assign multiple dialogues, or no dialogues, you get that result. I can fix it quickly today when I fix the other bug mentioned here. Thank you for catching it.

The real question, though, is why would you deny Zeus Lykaios his sacrifice?

Okagron

Prophet
I love Ancient Greece and a CRPG using it as the setting sounds really cool. Added to my wishlist.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
will buy this as a reward for myself after I finish writing these fucking papers

looking forward to trying the game out the demo you posted ages ago was very fun

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Game's great. Try the demo.

Well, as promised, you've earned my 7 bucks! Won't get to play this until April...
:dealwithit:
But at least all micro-issues will have been ironed out by then.

EDIT: Dunno if you deliberately enabled it, or it's an automatic feature in Steam, but it's showing with regional pricing at 2.44usd here. Might want to check that out unless you wanna be selling it at a third of its price to the Third World.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Game's great. Try the demo.

Well, as promised, you've earned my 7 bucks! Won't get to play this until April...
:dealwithit:
But at least all micro-issues will have been ironed out by then.

EDIT: Dunno if you deliberately enabled it, or it's an automatic feature in Steam, but it's showing with regional pricing at 2.44usd here. Might want to check that out unless you wanna be selling it at a third of its price to the Third World.

Wait what, 2.44? :lol: no idea how that happened, I will check it out tonight when I upload the patch for the two bugs pointed out to me today.

Thanks for the support and the good advice offered while this game was in development. By the time April rolls around it should have a bit more content, too. I'm thinking that perhaps I should have a peaceful ways to end the final scene; right now, no matter who you side with, you wind up in combat.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Okay, new patch is live, should download automatically on Steam. I have uploaded the new install file to Itch, too.

Fixed, and caught another bug in the process. There are 5 different ending comments for Connidas, but the variables were only able to lead the game to show 3 of them. I added a new variable and now all 5 should be working, thanks!

Polykleitos bug screenshot

Fixed, thanks again for catching it. I didn't have a default dialogue text file for him, and I had a typo on one of the variable checks, so basically because of my typo none of the conditions were entirely true when Theseus refuses to aid with the sacrifice, so it never loaded a dialogue for the director character. Therefore, the game couldn't properly generate Polykleitos the Director and the game crashed.

Ah, very cool, thank you for recording this play through. Judging from the play through, I think I need to make it more obvious to new players that the sign-posts cause scene transitions, and that you can right click on the shimmering light to inspect objects. Also, the combat button for Connidas' special ability needs a graphic so it can catch your attention; if you click the solid box next to the end turn box, you will be able to shoot a special arrow that does more damage and makes the enemy easier to hit. Maybe I can just redesign the button so it has an image of the bow on it.

Last edited:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
One of the most helpful thing for solo developers is to see someone else playing their game. It is especially great when you see a player become confused/lost at some point, then you realize your bias as the creator made you overlook something

Also congrats on the release, I'll buy it but if it can be completed in under 2 hours, at that price I will feel justified to refund

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
One of the most helpful thing for solo developers is to see someone else playing their game. It is especially great when you see a player become confused/lost at some point, then you realize your bias as the creator made you overlook something

Also congrats on the release, I'll buy it but if it can be completed in under 2 hours, at that price I will feel justified to refund

Yep, it's definitely interesting to see just how much of the game interface and story that I assumed obvious merely because I made it and already knew what to do.

You can get through a single playthrough in about 2 hours, I'd say. I watched the above youtube video and it was about half an hour for the first town (it ends when he arrives in Epidauros). The nature of the game is that the majority of the content will be missed if it is only played once; the plot diverges a fair bit. If you are unsatisfied, though, I understand the refund request. It is hard to know the correct price point.

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Bit of an OT, but I just got a huge flashback of the gamebook trilogy "Cretan Chronicles" from when I was a kid.

Huh, interesting stuff, I've never seen this game book before. I'll keep an eye out for it; I wish there was a PC version, such as what they did with The Warlock of Firetop Mountain.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Yep, it's definitely interesting to see just how much of the game interface and story that I assumed obvious merely because I made it and already knew what to do.

You can get through a single playthrough in about 2 hours, I'd say. I watched the above youtube video and it was about half an hour for the first town (it ends when he arrives in Epidauros). The nature of the game is that the majority of the content will be missed if it is only played once; the plot diverges a fair bit. If you are unsatisfied, though, I understand the refund request. It is hard to know the correct price point.

I got through my first playthrough in under an hour but thing is, there are wildly divergent plotlines and the one I chose in that case was one of the shortest ones (do the human sacrifice and join the beasts in attacking Athens).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom