Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

they hate us

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
MSFD was seen at DaC posting today
thank you that is all

Antiphon

Scholar
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
thank you that is all
I beg forgiveness for my ignorance, but what the heck is DaC?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
thank you that is all
DAC doesn't care much about Oblivion, and thus, it's a safe site to visit.

Edit: Wow. Mr. Blowtime is such a whore: "Congrats. Whether the game is to my taste or not (and I can't decide that 'til I've played it), I recognise that a lot of hard work and passion has gone into the game. Now, about Fallout 3... that's your next project, right? "

Jason

chasing a bee
Duck and Cover - "You're
tard.gif
and You Know It"

VasikkA

Liturgist
MSFD posts on DAC because we love Oblivion and you're all such narrowminded vulgar bastards.
minigoatse.gif

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
thank you that is all

Edit: Wow. Mr. Blowtime is such a whore: "Congrats. Whether the game is to my taste or not (and I can't decide that 'til I've played it), I recognise that a lot of hard work and passion has gone into the game. Now, about Fallout 3... that's your next project, right? "

Thanks, VD.

Anyway, I do stand by my comments. The game may be completely awful, but I'm not really in a position to say one way or the other until I've played it. I also do think that Bethsoft are trying to make a good game, and not something like, say, EA do which is make a game purely based on how succesful they think it will be, with quality ignored.

So, the game may suck. It may also be OK, or even good. I didn't play much of Morrowind and so the game didn't do it for me, but I'm keeping a relatively open mind until I've played Oblivion or at least seen some trustworthy reviews.

Same goes for Fallout 3. I'm not condemning it at this stage especially given there's virtually no information about it yet. And truth be told, if the FO license HAS to be used, Bethsoft is near the top of the list of companies I'd rather have it. Can you imagine what EA would do with it?

Anyway, I'm wondering if you think the game will suck so much, why is the majority of news you're posting (VD) currently dedicated to it? I know there's not much else to cover at the moment, but... well if it was me, I'd kind of run out of energy spending most of my time as a newsposter writing about something I hate.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Anyway, I'm wondering if you think the game will suck so much, why is the majority of news you're posting (VD) currently dedicated to it? I know there's not much else to cover at the moment, but... well if it was me, I'd kind of run out of energy spending most of my time as a newsposter writing about something I hate.
Hah, VD is pretty sick of such questions now, I guess.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Mr. Teatime said:
Vault Dweller said:
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
thank you that is all

Thanks, VD.
Anytime, sugar.

The game may be completely awful, but I'm not really in a position to say one way or the other until I've played it.
Really? Could you say anything about FOBOS when it was in development or did you have to play that crap too?

I also do think that Bethsoft are trying to make a good game...
Based on what, if you don't mind me asking?

Same goes for Fallout 3. I'm not condemning it at this stage especially given there's virtually no information about it yet. And truth be told, if the FO license HAS to be used, Bethsoft is near the top of the list of companies I'd rather have it. Can you imagine what EA would do with it?
Great speech. You are a fucking inspiration to us all. Keep blowing.

First, I don't hate games. Second, being a newsposter is a job, as in certain duties that must be done. I can't say "fuck, I'm not interested in current games at the moment, so I won't be posting anything for the next 2 months". I hope that answers your question.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Vault Dweller said:
Mr. Teatime said:
I also do think that Bethsoft are trying to make a good game...
Based on what, if you don't mind me asking?
Actually, I also think Beth are trying to make a "good" game.
I just think they've lost their way a little about how to make a good RPG.

I still think we'll get a good action/exploration game out of this.

Section8

Cipher
Actually, I also think Beth are trying to make a "good" game.
I just think they've lost their way a little about how to make a good RPG.

I still think we'll get a good action/exploration game out of this.

I used to think that, now I'm only holding out hope for good exploration, and that's only a product of the developer's willingness to include a large amount of of world content, not a concerted effort to designing effective gameplay systems.

The action portions of the game look like an improvement on Morrowind, but they still don't look up to speed as part of an action game. It looks like Diablo. If you remove the character advancement and randomised loot, what remains couldn't stand on its own merits as an action game.

Compare it to Ultima Underworld, a game that's almost 15 years old, and a pioneer of first person "shooters" and the only thing it really adds is active blocking.

Maybe I'm just a cynical bastard, but I don't believe Bethesda are setting out to make a "good" game. They're making a game that will sell. Obviously, in order to sell, there's some expectation of quality, but Bethesda seem compelled to make the game more "accessible" for players with lower expectations, rather than aiming to satisfy even the highest of standards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom