Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm playing through FMs I haven't marked as finished yet, in alphabetical order.

First up is "3 Distinct Adventures" by Cardia. The guy is known for his weird design decisions, and this mission pack is no exception.
The first mission has you on a Mechanist spaceship that was attacked by aliens. You have to defeat the alien commander and teleport yourself to the planet below. Way too many cutscenes to sit through, and some annoying keyhunting, and the mission is extremely combat-focused. Not great, but not utterly terrible. The spaceship setting is cool and well-realized. Shame it's wasted on a combat romp.

The second mission is an ancient temple down on the planet. It uses Egyptian style textures and looks pretty impressive. It's your typical puzzle FM and decent enough... until you get to the most mind-bogglingly retarded puzzle I have ever encountered in a Thief FM.

There's two wall paintings in a large hall. Beyond thick iron gates there are copies of these paintings... with 7 differences. You have to find the differences and hit them with an arrow.
Simple enough, right?
Except that you have to hit the painting beyond the iron gates. Which is so far away that arrow dropoff becomes a real problem. You have to hit seven small spots on a wall painting across a large distance, at almost the maximum range of your bow.
Holy fucking shit, this is terrible.

holy FUCK, man

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You know, I kinda like Sabotage. It gets a bad rep but I like how every signal tower is a different, stealth-themed challenge (other than the turret room which you can skip - but even that one people whine too much about, I didn't even get hit in there!)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
"The Sword of the Stones" by Vortex85.

'Break into a castle', they said.
'Steal a sword', they said.
Well, if you can trick the Trickster, this shouldn't be a chall-

dump014png.png

... this is gonna take a while.
(Wait, the loot objective is a five-figure number?)

"Overambitious" is the perfect word to describe this brand-new FM. It's not just that castle you see, it's also a sizeable moat surrounding it, a garden and some warehouses located behind it, a basement, an underground vault and then other places.

Fortunately the castle is an absolute joy to explore. The emphasis is placed on the architecture rather than the gameplay - at least for the most part. Unfortunately things quickly degrade into a Key Hunt as the castle is tiered along its floors, which must be tackled in order. Then a collecta-thon of six MacGuffins is introduced, and each of these is found in their separate habitats - and each habitat is pretty much a death trap. The addition of these habitats is what sinks this FM for me. Only one of them is worthy of praise for its execution, four of the others are variable shades of annoyance, but it's the final one that has everyone riled up - you have to cross an invisible bridge by listening to it. Wonderful idea, terrible execution sadly, as Thief's audio output isn't 100% identical for everyone. (Fortunately a workaround exists - bring crates.)

Another painful absence for me was that this is an FM heavily reliant upon modern-day hardware and NewDark, yet is basically designed with the mentality of a ~2006 Fan Mission, meaning a certain layer of depth and detail that many have come to expect is sadly missing. This is the author's fault, but keep in mind this is only his second mission, and judging by the sharp improvement in quality since his debut, I foresee better things in his future FMs.

Rating: 7/10. This FM is fun to play for the most part, but it goes on for too long, it reaches too high. This is a temporary rating as there may be some technical issues that need fixing, and maybe (hopefully) a puzzle or two will get tossed out in the process. But thirsty taffers needing to kill time over the holidays may just have found what they were looking for.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fortunately the castle is an absolute joy to explore. The emphasis is placed on the architecture rather than the gameplay - at least for the most part. Unfortunately things quickly degrade into a Key Hunt as the castle is tiered along its floors, which must be tackled in order. Then a collecta-thon of six MacGuffins is introduced, and each of these is found in their separate habitats - and each habitat is pretty much a death trap. The addition of these habitats is what sinks this FM for me. Only one of them is worthy of praise for its execution, four of the others are variable shades of annoyance, but it's the final one that has everyone riled up - you have to cross an invisible bridge by listening to it. Wonderful idea, terrible execution sadly, as Thief's audio output isn't 100% identical for everyone. (Fortunately a workaround exists - bring crates.)

I rated this FM 7/10 too, enjoyed the massive castle but didn't find any of the magic stone areas fun at all.
The air stone area was complete fucking ass, I hated every second of it. I cheated my way through it by opening the FM in dromed and looking at the object placement in relation to the room's architecture so I could make my way across. Even if the audio did work properly in that place, it would be more frustrating than fun. It's one of those ideas that seem clever when you come up with it but ends up being no fun at all to play.

The rest had the same vibe: ideas that seem clever to the level designer, but the gameplay result is shit.
Light gem? Platforming across Mage Tower style moving platforms. These things never work reliably in the dark engine, and waiting for slowly moving platforms to be in the right place for you to jump isn't the most riveting gameplay.
Darkness gem? The atmosphere here is pretty great if you like horror I guess, but the actual layout combined with the heavy darkness makes it more annoying than fun to explore. Basically a maze of straight 90 degree angled hallways with pointless pitch black rooms attached to them, and nothing else.
Earth gem? Feels like the darkness gem area but without the atmosphere. Just a couple of grassland boxes attached to each other and you gotta find the one with the chest, then run back out.
Water gem was somewhat clever at least, and unlike the other areas didn't overstay its welcome. Same with the fire gem.

Fire and water were simple areas that had one quick gimmick you had to figure out, and then it was over. Short and sweet. The others dragged out for way too long, or just weren't interesting at all (earth gem area felt really pointless).

Other than that, pretty solid FM that felt very much like a mid-00s mansion heist, very cool and comfy. I injoyed.
Just the keyhunting could have been toned down a little.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Regarding the stone areas, I actually beat Earth and Darkness on the first try. Light became a bother because of the added monsters once you get the stone and required some reloads. I simply wasn't paying attention when it came to Fire so that needed a reload, but Water I had to do about four times because I kept accidentally frobbing the chest with the skull in it, which I then couldn't drop for some reason.

I then had two go's at Air, before running back downstairs and grabbing some crates.

bassmanret

Barely Literate
Hi, I'm bassmanret, author of the Thief 2 FMs "Just Friends" parts 1 and 2. I don't do much Thief related stuff since a bad experience I had many years ago in which some people I truly believed were good friends behaved in a way I considered a betrayal of our friendship on a couple of forums, but I won't go into that since it was my own naivete's fault. I've since learned how my comments were poorly communicated and very consequently interpreted not as intended. I found and joined this forum because of the kind mention of my missions on page 157 by Unkillable Cat. I found it fair and accurate. My first (Part 1) mission's caves area was terrible, and I'm embarrassed, but it was a learning experience and I'd like to think by Part 2, I was much better. I never have, and still do not like Thief FMs that use fancy custom made objects and effects, so I have a hard time accepting most lists of "Best Thief FMs". My favorites are the ones that do NOT use cut-scenes, or weird fancy objects and effects. Every time I see them, it completely takes me out of the Thief immersion experience that made Thief so great for me. But, to each their own. Anyway, all I'm here to say is thanks for the fair and accurate review on page 157 by Unkillable Cat. I'll be happy to answer any questions or comments.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Hello bassmanret and welcome.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, good and bad - but also for sharing your creations, "Just Friends". Don't beat yourself up too hard about them, they were made long ago, and yet still hold up to a degree today. All of us have a tendency to look back upon our past selves and go "What's this clown doing?" in one way or another. Comes with getting older.

For other taffers reading, I'm gonna repost the review:

Unkillable Cat said:
"Just Friends 1 & 2" by bassmanret

In these FMs you play Burt the Burglar, who's gone to ground after the local Lord placed a high bounty on his head. But when the Lord kidnaps the burglar's former love interest, the burglar is forced to mount a rescue mission.

Part 1 was released in 2004 and it shows. After a rough cave passage it changes to a primitive cityscape that seems to have lost a lot of content on the cutting room floor, yet it still provides interesting challenges to get in and out of places. It has WAY too many unfrobbable doors though and a very high loot requirement on Expert, and some of the obstacles on offer are solely there to slow down the player.

Part 2 was released in 2010 and takes place in a symmetrical, right-angled mansion. It also sports what I believe is the longest list of Objectives in an FM (26!) but fortunately most of those are optional. Sadly some of those objectives are bugged, meaning players are forced to cheese the FM to get them to work properly, and the ending 'escape'-sequence is pretty rough.

So even though they're old and have their faults, there's a very good reason to play them. That is the humorous writing. Part 1 has piles of puns and witty rhymes, while Part 2 has a tragi-comical family reunion, and which of the two endings the family gets is left up to the player. There's also an adult tone to the writing (you'll never look at a Genetically Enhanced Cucumber the same way again) but the absolute high points are the songs, written and performed by the author himself. They made me smile, and give "Just Friends" a very personal touch and mood.

Rating: 7/10.

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with the Thief-community. For what it's worth I'm kinda on the same boat. I joined up at TTLG in 2008 and tried to be a helpful person (in my own way) but then Zontik released his 'epic' FM "King's Story" and I gave it a fair shake of a review over there. I might as well have tap-danced in a minefield. I haven't posted a review there since. While I still try to offer some help there from time to time, I prefer to post about Thief here - despite everything this forum has always valued free speech, and seems to be one of the few such places left nowadays.

And at the end of the day, I'm just one user, with one voice and one opinion. I'm constantly amazed by how I seem to attract taffers from all over, of which only some can't seem to handle dissenting voices when it comes to Thief. ;)

With that said, I have a few questions.

(1) IIRC Just Friends 2 had an ending that could be considered 'final'. With that said, did you have any plans to continue the adventures of Burt the Burglar?

(2) It takes some talent to compose and perform songs like you did for these FMs. Have you managed to put those talents to good use elsewhere since then?

(3) Do you still play Thief FMs?

(4) Do you still sell Genetically Enhanced Cucumbers?

bassmanret

Barely Literate
Thanks for the friendly welcome, I've read most of this thread and found some very good information and some entertaining exchanges, so I'm sure I'll be sticking around.

To your questions:
(1) I did create a very rough, short "Just Friends Part B" FM which was just Burt making his way through the sewers on his way to the Mansion in Part 2, but I did not release it because there were too many problems and even I did not like it. I did originally have other plans for Burt, and also for another completely different FM plot idea, but it has been so long now, I'm not sure I'll ever get to them. I won't say definitely not, though.

(2) I've been a professional musician for over 40 years, so absolutely yes. I mostly play bass in bands, and when I joined TTLG, I believed I had retired from music since I'd just started a "real" job after graduation, hence the name "bassmanret" (ret = retired), but I did not stay retired more than a year before admitting that I could not give it up, and have been actively gigging ever since. I also play guitar and some piano.

(3) I do, sporadically. I may go years without playing a FM, but then when I get interested again, I'll spend weeks playing nothing else. I still to this day replay the original Thief 1 and 2 games start to finish about once per year, and that sometimes sparks my interest again. Sometimes not.
Some of my favorites in no particular order, based only on my Darkloader Comments:
Disorientation
A Short Night's Work
Behind Closed Doors
Bathory Part 2
Cryptic Realms
Home Sweet Home
Lady Lomat's Flute
Rust Belt Prison
Shadow Politics
Trail Of Blood 2

(4) Selling out in record numbers, can't keep in stock Enhanced Cucumbers!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Thank you for your replies.

In regards to (1), the Thief-community has seen people return to 'the field' after having barely touched the waters in ~2003, and then come back much later and finish the job, and then keep going. In the end it's all an unwritten page, where the driving force is the will to put down something on the page in the first place. This applies to So Many Other Fields, I know. :)

In regards to (2), AWESOME! The field of music is one I wish I had explored more during my lifetime... but at the same time I'm not dead, am I? By comparison, the only 'serious' career I can boast of, is being a gamer for 36+ years now, which grants me an insight into an all-too narrow field... but still one that is generally appreciated around these parts. I also recognize that the general fanbase of the Thief-games is about 20+-years above the generally accepted norm, so someone coming in with 40+-years of knowledge in a field is NOT uncommon for these games.

In regards to (3), you may find that at least one of the authors of that line-up frequents these forums, and may provide a comment if they so deem fit. Melan is just an example. (Sorry dude! :))

No further comment on (4). ;)

One final note on the RPG Codex - our most Benevolent Throne Sitter came up with a method to allow users to 'rate' everyone's posts, based on various reasons. It's a complex mess of circumstances based off of social media (which I personally hate) but I want to explain my rating to your post - Long Ago the only rating available was the Brofist - if people approved, they Brofisted. It's the standard white fist-icon, and is in high demand.

But a few of us have a privilege - we can go above and beyond and rate posts with a GoldFist - a post that surpasses the norm, and deserves to be seen, read, and acknowledged by all who dare read the respective threads. I hereby bestow a GoldFist upon your post, because you come to us with your defenses down, and your truths up. I can only speak of behalf of myself, but I welcome you into our community, Thief-based or otherwise - but beyond that all responsibility is upon you.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Decided to play through "Lost Among The Forsaken" and "Downtowne Funk." Two city levels that both take a different approach to the concept.

Lost Among The Forsaken: This level was great at making me feel claustrophobic. Despite being a large city mission, the various narrow corridors and collapsed passageways helped create a feeling on uneasiness. Overall the mood is oppressive but the low enemy count ruins that aspect. Each area has one or two enemies on patrol and one of them disappeared on me. A few more undead would have gone a long way. As for objectives the loot goal felt fair but I had no inclination to max out the loot after reaching the other goals. Overall this is a competently made level but not my favorite. :3/5:

Downtowne Funk: Another city mission but sans the horror. Initially I had shied away from this level due to its origin laying in my least favorite OM, Thieve's Guild. Thankfully the author only used Thieve's Guild as an inspiration. Downtowne Funk manages to avoid the trappings of its source material by removing the frustrating loot placement. I don't have much to say about this level besides how much I enjoyed it despite only reaching 2/3 of the loot goal. :3/5:

Last edited:

Rookie

Novice
So, 2022 is over. My top 5 of FMs for all four games:

Thief 1 - Intertheft by Nomadman.

Thief 2 - Ravensreach and Legacy of Knoss, both by nicked.

Thief 3 - no missions in year, so no favorites.

The Dark Mod - Hazard Pay by Kingsal and Iris by Wellingtoncrab.

Author of the year 2022 - nicked, Rookies of the year 2022 - Wellingtoncrab and Nomadman. Of course, in my opinion...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I just remembered that I hadn't picked a 'T1/T2 FM of the Year' for 2022. Was disappointed to find that this thread was all the way back on Page 3. :/

One pleasantry from the year before is still around - the overall quality of FMs is consistently good.

But a winner must be picked, and "Legacy of Knoss" gets the nod. "Intertheft" geths the runner-up award, ath the name alone makeh me lihtp for no reathon. ;)

Andronovo

Learned
So, 2022 is over. My top 5 of FMs for all four games:

Thief 1 - Intertheft by Nomadman.

Thief 2 - Ravensreach and Legacy of Knoss, both by nicked.

Thief 3 - no missions in year, so no favorites.

The Dark Mod - Hazard Pay by Kingsal and Iris by Wellingtoncrab.

Author of the year 2022 - nicked, Rookies of the year 2022 - Wellingtoncrab and Nomadman. Of course, in my opinion...

Played Hazard Pay and Iris. Hazard Pay was a fun, small mission. Definitely didn't find close to everything, because it wasn't THAT interesting, but got a good laugh out of one part.
I didn't turn off the power in the room with the mask, as my thief senses were tingling, I just climbed over it with rope arrows. When I took the mask, I heard a spooky sound and a groan, looked back and saw nothing. It took me a while to realize I had accidentally outsmarted the zombies spawned to kill me.
Got all but one secret. Also I
stole the codes from that fatass without giving him the money.

Iris was totally nuts. I'm not even sure how much of it I actually completed, it was just so damn huge. Of course it ran like shit, but that's what happens when you try to make mission that big in Dark Mod.

I should play both of Nicked's levels you mentioned. Did they ever figure out who made the original Catacombs of Knoss?

BTW, I think I asked this before, years ago, but are there any missions that do realistic darkness like Death's Turbid Veil? I still haven't found any yet. And you would think the lighting in Dark Mod would be better, but actually it's worse.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
BTW, I think I asked this before, years ago, but are there any missions that do realistic darkness like Death's Turbid Veil? I still haven't found any yet.
There are a few FMs which do it partially to some success. "Into the Odd" is a good example, but it has other issues which may put you off, but perseverance is rewarding.

"The Mine Saga" is a short campaign where the first mission goes for it wholesale. Can't remember if the others kept up with it.

"The Sinkhole" goes all-in on it, and it works.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Not a FM, but an interview with ol' Randy Smith.

Thief developer Randy Smith says "immersion is totally incompatible with ego"

The Looking Glass veteran talks about Garrett's past, present, and unlikely future

Jeremy Peel avatar

Feature by Jeremy Peel Contributor

Published on Jan. 30, 2023

Keyart for the Thief: Gold version of the classic stealth sim game. Garrett, the titular Thief, is standing against a dark city backdrop, holding his bow with a glowing blue arrow nocked.

Some developers spend their careers inching towards their dream job, leapfrogging between roles in a grand strategy game of their own making. Others, like Randy Smith, simply show up on their first day and find they’re exactly where they’re meant to be.
“The approach that Looking Glass had to creating games was pretty unique,” he says now. “Even to this day, there are few studios who have that same ideology and mindfulness in how videogames are made.”

Thief: The Dark Project had a great director, in the form of Greg LePiccolo, who later became a pioneer in the world of music games with Guitar Hero and Rock Band. And before him, Ken Levine had laid down the cobbles of Thief’s setting, defining its noir-ish tone before heading off to work on System Shock 2. Yet Looking Glass games weren’t driven by a singular 90s auteur. In fact, the very absence of ego in the studio’s culture meant its many “bright stars” were happy to adhere to a shared vision.

“There were various individual superheroes,” Smith says. “Terry Brosius, Dan Thron, Doug Church, Mark LeBlanc. But somehow, the goal wasn’t to be like, ‘I’m Mark LeBlanc who made this system in the game, and everybody knows me’. You were measured against the game we all created together. The game’s as good as its weakest link. Ego wasn’t the focus.”

As disciples of the studio know, Looking Glass were unusually dedicated to submerging players deep into the world and atmosphere of their games, and used a number of then-innovative tricks to do so - including the first-person perspective, intricate level design, hypnotic audio and rudimentary physics simulation. “When I joined the Thief team, I was very much on the wavelength of that ideology,” Smith says. “But at the same time I was a rookie at it.”

A screenshot of first person stealth sim Thief: The Dark Project. The player has been spotted by a Hammerite, a religious soldier wearing read and silver armour
For Smith, the magic of games like the ones Looking Glass made comes partly from immersion. “And I think immersion only happens when you’re careful to take all the contrivances and conceits out of your game,” he says. “It’s just totally incompatible with ego. If somebody is trying to put themselves in the game, then necessarily they’re creating a contrivance.”
Thief is often credited, alongside the likes of Metal Gear and Tenchu, with inventing the stealth game. But many of its traits have proven to be recessive. Thief forced you to grasp for information in the dark, listening intently for footsteps so that you clocked a guard before they tripped over you. And that deliberate obfuscation carried over to its storytelling, too, which was subtle and oblique.
“Looking Glass was one of the very few outliers who were like, ‘Yes, we are making a first-person game, but there’s no guns’. And we paid for it.”

“I love it when games take that approach,” Smith says. “And in a lot of ways, it’s just common sense. Exposition is a little bit of a necessary evil in writing, and lore is the exposition crutch of videogames. When I play a game and it's like, ‘I put something in the Codex, and you can go over here and read a paragraph about this faction’, I don’t want to read it.”
After Thief’s sequel, The Metal Age, Looking Glass went out of business. “Starting my career in the 90s, there were five publishers and three different kinds of games you could make,” Smith says. “Looking Glass was one of the very few outliers who were like, ‘Yes, we are making a first-person game, but there’s no guns’. And we paid for it.”
In the aftermath, Smith was given the opportunity to finish the Thief trilogy as project director at Ion Storm Austin - the closest spiritual equivalent to Looking Glass, then fresh from the success of Deus Ex. The resulting game, Thief: Deadly Shadows, is still remembered for its standout horror mission, the Shalebridge Cradle. But despite having spent long hours with Cradle designer Jordan Thomas to codify and build on the very best of videogame horror, Smith can’t actually stand to play scary levels himself. In this sense, he is the Jamie Lee Curtis of games. “When you put that magic of interactivity in a horror game, it’s just too much for me,” he says. “I watch horror movies in part to coax myself out of being worried about that stuff.”
In retrospect, Smith is most proud of the open world segments that connected Thief 3’s missions. “From reading people’s reviews, it sounds like we took the turn into the open city environment successfully,” he says. “That was a pretty good accomplishment, to be able to pull that off in addition to ramping up a new team, switching to consoles, and just building another Thief game.”

Garrett in 2014's Thief reboot, climbing a wall on a rope. He's wearing all black leather and is hooded. Goth Garrett
The latter challenge alone has bested talented teams since. Even the mighty Eidos Montréal, who managed the impossible by bringing Deus Ex back from the dead with Human Revolution, stumbled when it came to the Thief reboot in 2014. “I did not play it, because it sounded like I was going to be disappointed,” Smith says. “The idea of an IP that in a lot of ways is one of my babies being manhandled by some other studio that didn’t do it well, despite trying - I didn’t want to have that experience.”
Having ended the initial Thief trilogy by tying off its story and teeing up a new, female protagonist, Smith was dismayed to see the “gothed out” Garrett that Eidos came up with. “I actually met with that team, and they asked if I had any suggestions,” Smith says. “I was like, ‘Why don’t you guys just make your own character? If you really want to expand this franchise, show us a different person who’s similar to Garrett in this world, but has their own characteristics. Just give him a different name.’ That would have been interesting to me, to explore more of the world.”
Smith himself has spent many of the years since Thief: Deadly Shadows applying its lessons in unexpected places. As a founder of Tiger Style Games, he led development of the IGF award-winning Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor, a mobile game in which you play an arachnid flitting from chair to lampshade, spinning webs to trap and eat insects. While bearing no superficial resemblance to Thief, it’s still fundamentally a game about watching the patrol paths of your opponents until you’re ready to step in and trip them up. And as the subtitle suggests, Spider’s setting is stuffed with environmental storytelling in the immersive sim vein.
“We found the opportunity to give the players an experience that did have a lot of the hallmarks of Looking Glass-style immersion and mechanical freedom,” Smith says. “You could get invested in the world, realise on your own terms that there was a story here to care about, and eventually do something interactive to respond to the story. “I think Spider was my haiku,” he adds. “The smallest unit of game that could still have, even though it’s a very different expression, immersive sim qualities.”
Since then, Smith has worked on both Waking Mars and Jett: The Far Shore, two games about experimenting with an alien ecosystem of plants and creatures in order to awaken a sleeping planet. Waking Mars is played from a side-on perspective in an underground cave system, where ricocheting seeds and scrambling organisms can very easily collide to create unexpected results. This reactive world is so successful, in fact, that it might cause you to wonder whether immersive sims have been made in the wrong perspective all this time. “We lost the first-person immersion, but we did gain a better sense of the environment, and your ability to move and respond to it,” Smith says. “And that’s actually what Waking Mars is about, it’s a space gardening game.”
If Smith were to be handed the reins to the Thief series today, the female protagonist from the coda of Deadly Shadows would become one of a few playable characters in a loose band of thieves, led by an enigmatic master (“secretly, that’s Garrett”). But as much as he’d enjoy returning to that formula, he’d rather not give over another eight years of his life to it, and would prefer to give others a chance to do it right. Besides: Smith got to play a great, modern successor when Dishonored came out.
“That was the first time I played a Thief game,” he says. “If you work on a game, you can never play it the way a player will.” Despite having plenty of connections at Arkane, Smith stayed well away, until Dishonored was finished, released, and patched. “And then it was like, ‘I’m playing Thief,’” Smith says. “‘This is the experience other people have. And they’re right, it is really good.’”
Today, Smith is pitching a new idea to publishers: a nonviolent RPG with Looking Glass values, about a young woman who travels from America to a remote village in Eastern Europe in search of her missing uncle. “One of the things that the people I pitch to always say is, ‘I really love Thief’,” he says. “And in the back of my mind, I’m like, ‘Should I just be [spiritually] rebooting Thief?’ Because I know I’d get that contract in a heartbeat.” But to do that would, surely, make ego the focus. And that's not how you make a good immersive game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Played three small missions that were part of a competition back in 2001.

On third place, and rightly so IMO, was Alchemic Allusions. I didn't finish this one since I found it too tedious (lots of up and down between sewers and narrow streets with nothing interesting to find) and I didn't care for the gimmick.

On second place was The Ties that Bind, while the winner was The Hightowne Museum. The winner was short, sweet and solid, but rather too easy. I think the runner up was more interesting, with more intricate taffing and lots of stuff to read, some of it funny, but in the end it I felt it was rather too verbose.
So I guess the winning mission was kind of the "safe" choice to vote for.

Last edited:

Andronovo

Learned
Yeah it was me, just was anon for the contest. :lol: The remastered version has my name on it: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151212
https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151212

Hey, it's the man himself! Just finished Legacy. Altogether good, if a little predictable. And that rehearsal cracked me up. A reasonable challenge and decently spooky, though
the skulls became a lot less scary once I realized their projectiles were so slow.

By the way, why don't give the player a lantern in all of your missions? It would have been useful in this one, that's for sure.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
From the snippets I have seen they have some major scope creep with all kinds of whacky scripting and new motions. I hope they don't go overboard because the clip with haunts that explode into bones that clack all over the floor then reassemble felt like too much to me. Then again I have spent over 200 hours in Dromed and have pretty much just one city block made so what do I know about making a map, let alone a campaign.

Last edited:

Krilmar

Educated
Skacky said they are in closed beta at the moment. From what I can tell they are done with the actual missions and were working on one last cutscene and bug fixing.

Unrelated, but why did they recently change Thief II name on steam. They added the trademark sign after Thief..

Last edited:

Rookie

Novice
New mission, made by Master of Dromed: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152073

As for Hazard Pay and Iris, I personally more like the first, much more compact and challenging (esp. with limited saves mode). I notice that with time I more prefer smaller scale missions like this and maybe Intertheft. As for Iris... well, it is BIG (not for hours, but for tens of hours), and I like the exploration thing in this mission, but I think the mission a bit empty in places, devoid from much challenge. Still well done for newcomer, I think.

Scrounger

Educated
Author have very prominent nickname as well ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom