Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Morat

Literate
The Codex really is becoming the TTLG refugee camp!

Welcome, DrK. I've not played Rocksbourg but I'll definitely give it a try based on all the positive things I've heard about it.

DrKubiac

Educated
Brace yourself as the first 2 missions are rough. I can't help but cringe when I look at them now...
The third one and my other missions are much, much better.

Riskbreaker

If ya want a criticism so much, then here ya go: placement of keys in first Rocksbourg made me quit not one, but two subsequent playthroughs until I finally decided to watch a YT let's play!

(I still liked the mission, loved how atmospheric it was and how environments felt almost stiffing at times, even tho said LP ruined certain surprise towards the end)

DrKubiac

Educated
Haha it's not that I want criticism, I'm well aware of this problem and it's part of why I consider them rough.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, the key placement was, to be frank, shit. But I like to put FMs into perspective, and there have been some that were much worse about this, so eh... :P

First two Rocksbourgs deserve a good 7/10 for me despite their problems. Played much better missions, but also played much worse (that were still enjoyable).

My first FM is probably going to suck too.

tannisroot

Barely Literate
Long time ttlg-er here. Thanks for all the laughs! The honest appraisals are great and contrary to one poster's suggestion that this is a hater thread, clearly the criticism here is written with an impassioned love for Thief and a desire to identify the best the game can offer.

It's threads like this that inject new blood into a stagnating community and revitalize interest in a 15+ year old game. I downloaded a slew of FMs thanks to Unkillable Cat's recommendations.

Looking forward to reading the future contributions to this thread!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
5 minutes in, first door I could lockpick, already found a semi-secret dungeon in there. Creepy place. And I have to use a rope arrow in there.

10/10 typical skacky mission

EDIT:
I expected something to happen in there, but nothing did. That place was unnerving. Great job in the atmosphere department. I took the sword mentioned in one of the readables in the shop, and I thought something would happen... nothing happened. What's up with the frobbable skull at the beginning of the hallway where the sword is kept? Frobbed it, didn't do anything. skacky?

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Two questions:

The burgomeister's place, one of the steps in his stairwell uses a different texture than the others. Intentional?

Did you tamper with the AI? THEY CAN SEE ME IN THE DARK.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
1. No, that's not intentional. I have no idea why this one has a different texture. Not gonna bother reuploading the FM for that though.
2. Which ones? Some of them have slightly better vision than average but they shouldn't see you in the dark, especially if you are fully darkened. If by that you mean they see you when they bump into you, it means the shadow you're in isn't deep enough.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'm loving the exploration in this one, a lot of verticality again. Another question about a place that confuses me:
What is it with that weird room with three levers that trigger traps? I found the switch behind an archery target in the room before it, but that didn't affect the traps. There's also one of these camera-things on the roof there, but it doesn't seem to do anything as it's too far up to see me. It's between the places where the diamond and the magic chalice objectives can be found.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
The switch behind the target deactivates the crossbow trap in the next room.
Look around carefully in the three-levers room. And that periscope can see you if you're not careful. :)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Which ones? Some of them have slightly better vision than average but they shouldn't see you in the dark, especially if you are fully darkened. If by that you mean they see you when they bump into you, it means the shadow you're in isn't deep enough.

Well, the archer by the fire near the start is a good example. He could see me in the darkness of the starting position, as well as on top of the generator by the clocktower, even when I was crouching and squeezed up against the corner. Both instances had the viewgem as fully darkened.

Then there's the guard in the manor that is entered by leapfrogging on the windowsills to get through an open window...he could see me in the dark as he walked by, even when I was standing on a chair. Finally the burgomeister himself, coming to investigate why someone had opened "the third door", walked right into the dining room, took aim and blasted me with a fireball while I was standing fully darkened on top of the table.

Keep in mind that the problem could be on my end - there was at least one install of TG where the AI was super-sensitive that I may not have cleaned out completely, I've probably installed over it but never removed it.

BTW, love the guy who's picking the lock and gives you that "Do you mind?" look as he cranes his neck back at an impossible angle. :)

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
The archer by the fire has worse eyesight than his companion who goes to the start, so there must be something on your end then. Theedsblot has average eyesight but he's easily angered.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
skacky,
I still have no idea what to do in the room with the levers, and I think I looked everywhere. And I have no idea where to look for the key to open the gate to the sewer tunnels, and I think I went through the whole map already. Halp pls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom