Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The term you're looking for to describe Garrett is "anti-hero", not "antagonist"...unless you confused the latter one with "protagonist", who is the central character of the story.

And sadly you don't need to look any further than the intro to the first Thief game to see Garrett kill someone. He probably abhors violence, but won't hesitate to kill someone if he can get away with it.

Yeah, mea culpa, it was my mistake.

Huh, really? I must look at it as even Thief wiki states that he never killed someone other way then fooling both K and Constantine and that pagan guy, but it was mercy kill.

Actually, that intro movie was just a cool montage of Thief gameplay, and as far as I know had been released as a trailer before the game's release, too. It shows Garrett using a bow to shoot someone, but it's just that - a montage of Thief gameplay, and in the game, shooting people with your bow is possible. Nowhere in the actual story does he kill anyone, though, at least if you play on expert, and it's generally not considered to be canon.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
The 72hrs contest missions have been released, by the way. 3 so far, with a possible 4th during the week.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
On a different note, I have been replaying some of the classics lately, and I must say, Calendra's Legacy has aged like fine wine. Mercedes remains a bad wish-fulfillment character, Garrett is a bit of a prick even by his usual standards, some of the forced ghosting is iffy, and the purple prose remains a lovable artifact of the late 90s Vampire: the Masquerade craze, and so on and so forth, but the second mission only seems to have increased in its stature.

The gameplay is still a fascinating subversion of Thief standards while keeping the core sneaking experience intact. The difficulty is right for skilled players - harder than the baseline, but never frustrating. If you screw up your stealth, you can usually escape through the canals, but at the cost of losing some progress, since there are only some places where you can climb out. (In contrast, Rocksbourg 1, which I am playing now, is absolutely unforgiving if you aren't blackjacking AI left and right.) The extra objectives keep the plot going even outside the dynamically changing main objective, and there are more sub-plots to discover and enjoy. There are simple but cool ideas like a mechanical eye that lets you see invisible rays, the vampire (sorry, vampyre) blade that becomes a source of healing, or a zombie carrying around a hilariously mangled dead cat.

The variety of custom undead is nothing but amazing, and they range from the usual slow, lumbering zombies to preternaturally agile apparitions, stronger vampires, roaming mists and some kind of undead mages who can kill you with a single firebolt spell. Their extra lines give the mission its own personality. Maybe some of the scenery is not as impressive as it used to be, but remember, this is pre-NewDark with its strict brush and poly limits. Some of the architectural tricks are downright staggering from a technical point of view, and there are actual environmental changes in different stages of the mission - the museum heist, a mission within the mission, plays radically differently depending on your time of visit.

Aside from some mistakes and questionable stylistic choices, this is still what The Metal Age should have been - gloomy, visionary, complex, and pushing Thief in new directions.
sith.gif
:bro:

CL has always held a special place in my heart and I replay it semi-frequently. Some on [on the Codex, no less!] don't like it but damn that second mission is gold.

Dev_Anj

Learned
I've been watching Fen Phoenix's video of Vanishing Point, and wow, it looks as good as Rocksbourg 3 and seems to play well. Drk, is that your mission? It's hands down the winner of the 72 hour contest unless the mission that's coming later outdoes it.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, where is Skacky's contest mission? Some heavy hints were dropped, but no goods have been delivered! :mad:

So far, I have played one and a half of the missions. The Swindle Job is charmingly newbie, including a typically weird "my first steps with Dromed" location. Obviously won't go down in history as an advanced level, but what do you know, I liked it. :) The Wooden Box starts with a well-executed intro video, and promises to be a rare woodsie FM, but the mission itself is jam-packed with AI standing around in large groups, and it is butt ugly. Maybe I need to play more of it, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

At least I finished my current replay of Rocksbourg 2. Will post impressions when I am done with the third.

Riskbreaker

I've been watching Fen Phoenix's video of Vanishing Point, and wow, it looks as good as Rocksbourg 3 and seems to play well. Drk, is that your mission? It's hands down the winner of the 72 hour contest unless the mission that's coming later outdoes it.
Aye, it's remarkable how good it looks AND how much gameplay he managed to cram into it. I remember DrK mission from another contest with short time limit. That one also looked incredible, but it was rather small and simple compared to this one.

Also, a word of warning! There is more Rocksbourg in this mission than your frail nerves might like!

Last edited by a moderator:

Max_b5

Augur
The Swindle Job is kinda short and newbie-ish but hey, the idea behind it is actually really cool. A warehouse with a portal which goes right into the depths of Karath-Din? I dig that.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Max_b5 I just finished an hour-long stint into Darkstone Gem 2, Part 1.

me_gusta_by_megustaplz-d30cns2.jpg

It started out a little flat, a generic-looking/feeling cityscape - but once I got into the belltower and into the area beyond...

This is the first FM in quite a while where I really want to have a map along.

Max_b5

Augur
I'm glad you liked it! It is my first (and probably the only one) attempt of a rooftop mission. If I ever get to work on the 3 remaining maps, I hope you love burricks, beasts and the undead 'cause there's going to be loads of them.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
And...finished. 195 above the Expert loot requirement.

I repeat that this is mission could really benefit from a map, if only a basic sketched one that shows where some important buildings are located in relation to one another. Maybe just a written note with some basic pointers (courtesy of the local drunkard or somesuch) would suffice.

I like how you solved the "rooftops above the city" aspect by having gaping depths of darkness showing where Garrett should NOT be going, plus a readable that shows why they're there.

BTW, WTF is up with Brother Roger? He not only has that doorcode written in VERY LARGE numbers on his wall, he's also the only Hammerite with a toilet! (Or is he the designated piss-boy of the Hammerites?)

Besides other minor issues like how most readables came off as audiologs, this is one of the better FMs I've played this year.

Congratulations, you've matched (if not surpassed) your own Broken Gears. And as you said on TLLG, this is your Christmas present to us taffers. I for one welcome it and say "Thank You". :D

Max_b5

Augur
Roger is slightly blind. The only hint on that are the golden eyeglasses on his desktop, which explains the large numbers. (Don't tell anyone that I forgot to change his ai's vision range). I can't tell you anything about the toilet but to let your imagination fly. :lol:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Roger is slightly blind. The only hint on that are the golden eyeglasses on his desktop, which explains the large numbers.

*slaps forehead*

How could I forget them?

I can't tell you anything about the toilet but to let your imagination fly.:lol:

Oh, it's flying allright. Straight down to the gutter...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Jesus Christ skacky , you make missions like that just for shits and giggles?

I'm not finished yet (just making sure I've found absolutely everything) but I am amazed here. There are (at least) two paths of entry/attack into The Pit, a cityscape so tight I had to track down potential marks by sound, and then I find a row of dilapidated statues, only to find that one of them has a bucket on its head!

Considering this entry for a (supposed) 72 hour entry, you must have some sort of time machine in the back. :)

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Melan Skacky's promised entry finally arrived. I hope you're glad. :D
Yes. Yes I am. As squalid as Thief can get and then some, you could feel the smog choke your lungs (doesn't hurt that the weather is quite foggy and wet over here as well).

I completed the mission on Hard,
finding barely 2264 out of 3000 loot. :retarded: I could not get to some loot in the side street, since entering it completes the mission, but there must be even more. Maybe an underground section? There was the guy who decided to go adventuring to let him and his sweetheart get out of town, and I didn't find him... unless he was the pile of bones and sack in one of the maintenance areas. :lol: Well, time to play more, I guess. :salute:

Divinity: Original Sin
I'm glad you liked it! It is my first (and probably the only one) attempt of a rooftop mission. If I ever get to work on the 3 remaining maps, I hope you love burricks, beasts and the undead 'cause there's going to be loads of them.

I'm playing part 1 to catch up with this new release. 1st mission I had problems with finding the machinist key, but the 2nd one is one of the best FMs I played in a long time. I loved the idea that you are deep underground and there's a mansion up there. Also, it's a huge mission, every new section lead to a huge new area, and i felt overwhelmed at first but well, I was in no rush to end it. Now, on to mission 3.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
I know, blasphemy but i never finished a thief game.. Bought the first one on release but after hours of trying i could never
finish the fourth or fifth mission, mostly played fps (quakeworld) at the time and had no patience...

So whats the best way to play them, just GOG versions and thats it? Or is there something wrong with them?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
So whats the best way to play them, just GOG versions and thats it? Or is there something wrong with them?

GOG versions are fine, but you still may need the TFix patch for Thief 1, and the Tafferpatcher for Thief 2. There are also some optional texture mods.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
Final round of taffing in Dirty Money left me with...

2787 out of 3000
I got as high as
2695 on Expert, but no better.

Buy the GOG version, patch it with TFix. Vanilla Thief 1 is a better overall experience than Thief Gold if you can get your hands on it.

Last edited:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
Klytus, I'm boooored.

Suggest me a Thief 1/Gold mission that's not one of the obvious ones (e.g. Calendra, Lord Edmund, Trial by Night, Walking the Edge, anything by Skacky, etc.), but offers a good thieving experience. Sinister pagan/woodsie themes are a plus, but aren't a requirement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom