Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Kontra

Educated
Whats the scariest T2 fan mission?

"Deceptive Perceptions" is a good start. There are two parts, with Part 1 being nothing but an entry into a competition and therefore being very short...but for some it's too long already. Part 2 takes its time in delivering the scares.

"Rose Cottage" is another one, though that's more of a psychological scare than straight-out horrible.

EDIT: Some will mention "The Inverted Manse" as it has its fair share of horror and jump scares, but it may have aged a little badly in that regard.

I tried The Inverted Manse but it wont load... I run it with DarkLoader and it says "Inverted Manse" on the main menu but when i hit start it loads Running Interference... :?

Yandros

Savant
You need to adjust the center of gravity to affect the rotation point. That's under Physics > Attributes > COG Offset. It would typically be half of the dimension along the axis you want to rotate. For example, on a door that's 4 units wide, it will be 2 or -2 on the X or Y (depending on how the door is oriented by default). Your window doesn't have it set since it's not typically openable, so it's currently 0,0,0.

Dev_Anj

Learned
I tried The Inverted Manse but it wont load... I run it with DarkLoader and it says "Inverted Manse" on the main menu but when i hit start it loads Running Interference... :?

Check if your Thief or Thief Missions folder is under C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86). Windows tends to put security settings on those which prevent them from running properly.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow, I made such a complete and utter mess of brushes in the second mansion, it's not even funny. Luckily, the messy area is inaccessible, but I had to plug lots of airbrush holes I accidentally cut out and it's just a complete ugly mess.

Lesson learned: don't cut out rooftop area airbrushes if you don't actually want to place rooftops there, but inside rooms...
Well, I fixed most of it and by now I got the architecture of that area finished, anyway.

Things left to do:
- add architectural detail around the city areas
- build the optional secret hidden areas
- add some furniture and shit to the two mansions
- add AIs and trolpoints
- implement mission goals (that one will probably be the hardest as I've never done it before)

Onward, then!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thanks to JarlFrank, I found a Thief 2 FM that has somehow escaped me.

"Forgotten Forest 2" is the direct sequel to "Forgotten Forest" that I covered last spring. In the previous one Garrett stumbled upon an underground complex that hinted at vast riches, this FM deals with Garrett exploring it. It's been a while since I've seen such a strong case of 'more of the same' in a sequel FM - good architecture, sadistic secrets, oddball humour popping out at the strangest moments, but this one adds a couple of new things which drag things down a little. The first one is the readables. Except for the constant Audiolog Syndrome, they haven't been proofread either. Whole sentences lose all meaning as punctuation and spelling are seemingly left at the door. The other sniggest is the 'proto-Russian' difficulty. Your only enemies are Haunts and spiders, and while the spiders are an absolute non-issue, large parts of the complex are comprised of marble flooring, making navigation around the place a little tricky. There's also the incessant 'Garrett coughs and there's a new objective' thing going on, leading Garrett to having a long list of chores to pull off before he can leave.

Still, it's good enough that it at least warrants a playthrough, but don't be surprised at the curveballs thrown your way.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
So, how did you like the switch hunting in that one, Unkillable Cat? :D

Since I usually found the secret passages before I found the switches, I had a decent clue as to where to find them - though I'll admit that frobbing blindly at statues is not a good way to hide switches, especially that case with the green statue (sits there and does nothing until you read a particular book, after which a switch has magically appeared on its back). I also noticed the total lack of self-awareness of the author for stating out loud that Thief FMs are in :decline: because FM authors have to resort to 'harlequins' back in 2006.

DrKubiac

Educated
I played the mission the year of its release, and the only thing I remember from Forgotten Forest 2 are the tiles and marble floors...

Kontra

Educated

Check if your Thief or Thief Missions folder is under C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86). Windows tends to put security settings on those which prevent them from running properly.

No its not in program files but it doesnt matter cause i got it running. Dont know what i did but its working. Thanks anyway man.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
JoLTMwN.jpg

Someone is REALLY fond of paintings with half-naked women in them...

Kontra

Educated
Well, i beat The Inverted Manse. That was some intense shit...:shittydog: Not as scary as the Cathedral missions from T1 though. But then again what is.

Divinity: Original Sin
:shittydog: Not as scary as the Cathedral missions from T1 though. But then again what is.

Shalebridge Cradle? (T3)
Another FM with some scary parts is "Dark Messiah".

When I played the cathedral mission in thief 1, I never felt scared. It didn't make me jump or tense. I should really replay that mission again too see how would I feel playing it now. At that point, I didn't get that the feeling they were trying to convey was of scary tension, maybe because I always though I was playing a confident master chief, and undead were just like humans. Actually, I had more scares with T1 and T2 with human AI than I've ever had with undead AI.

The cradle... well. I had to stop playing it and play it in small doses. Actually it had no AI in it but the sound and mood were heart attack inducing. Going up those stairs were the most frightening moment I've felt in my whole gaming life. That was the time I actually stopped playing or I would had died.

Oh, the second part was not that scary. So I completely disconsidered it. There's no AI until you get to the greenish realm/past of the cradle. And you have to "die" to be free from the building.

Kontra

Educated
Darth Slaughter

If you didnt find T1 scary then play it again but this time dont run. Thats how i play. Cause Garrett is just too fast, he can outrun everything. So, go to controls and bind W to "walk forward" instead of "run farward" and now theres no more messing around, everybody is as fast as you so you better have some flash bombs or speed potions. Also practice swordfigting, it can save your life. You can play the entire game like that, its more hardcore, and running is for pussies anyway...

Shalebridge Cradle... That was pretty scary, i had to play it in daytime, and it was still scary.

Darth Slaughter

If you didnt find T1 scary then play it again but this time dont run. Thats how i play. Cause Garrett is just too fast, he can outrun everything. So, go to controls and bind W to "walk forward" instead of "run farward" and now theres no more messing around, everybody is as fast as you so you better have some flash bombs or speed potions. Also practice swordfigting, it can save your life. You can play the entire game like that, its more hardcore, and running is for pussies anyway...

Shalebridge Cradle... That was pretty scary, i had to play it in daytime, and it was still scary.

What kind of pussy do you take me for? :x

Well, I don't run. I sneak everywhere. I actually blackjack everything, and in the case of zombies/haunts, I... "sword jack" al of them. I like my levels free. But i don't fight them directly, I backstab them. Being detected is not in my ways. Also, only on expert.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Interesting idea, Kontra - but IIRC it only works *fairly* if you're playing TDP and not Thief Gold.

One of the extra missions in Thief Gold adds Thieves to the rogue's gallery of critters, and they work a tick higher than the other AIs. They actually run (and attack) as fast as Garrett does. At least faster than any other AI (with the possible exception of the Haunt) in the game.

Still, I feel like giving this a try. This could be a gamebreaker.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Also, I never found the undead scary or annoying...

Have you tried listening to what the Haunts are saying?

"Join usss...JOIN USSSS NOW! (yoursoulcannotbesaved)"

"Flames around you, flames around you...burningyourflesh!"

Plus other phrases that I can't recall right now. There was one from them (or was it the apparitions?) which I could only hear properly quite recently, and it chilled me right to the bone.

Also, I never found the undead scary or annoying...

Have you tried listening to what the Haunts are saying?

"Join usss...JOIN USSSS NOW! (yoursoulcannotbesaved)"

"Flames around you, flames around you...burningyourflesh!"

Plus other phrases that I can't recall right now. There was one from them (or was it the apparitions?) which I could only hear properly quite recently, and it chilled me right to the bone.

Yes, sound design is great. But I simply refused to join them...+M I always were more scared by the living. Most of my scares in thief comes from an living AI randomly sneezing or coughing, making me think I was seen while exploring...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom