Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Dev_Anj

Learned
Jarl, I presume this is a small sized mission, isn't it? If it is, I can take out some time to test it.

DrKubiac

Educated
I don't have much freetime these days, but if the mission is short why not... When is the deadline ?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Deadline is next Friday, and I don't need a too big testing round anyway - as long as there are no major bugs and the mission can be finished, it's fine. If some details are a little off, I'm fine with that - this being my first mission, I experimented a lot and made some awkward constructions.

I'll probably finish it by tomorrow, then I'll upload it and send you all the link by PM.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If you got and play Ultima Underworld it's still feel advanced
Yeah, I played it for the first time in 2011, afraid technical limits and else, was pleasantly surprised.
Yet still need few years more to finally play Doom and Quake.

Garrettt

Educated
Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
MY MISSION IS ALMOST DONE

AIs are placed and on patrol, architecture is finalized, goals are implemented properly, and I have a nice easter egg area you can find.

The last thing left to do is to add some schemas to make the mission sound more atmospheric, and then add some better sky features for good measure (right now it's just default black + stars).

All those who said they'd check it out for the betatest, expect a PM this evening. :D

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
MY MISSION IS ALMOST DONE

AIs are placed and on patrol, architecture is finalized, goals are implemented properly, and I have a nice easter egg area you can find.

The last thing left to do is to add some schemas to make the mission sound more atmospheric, and then add some better sky features for good measure (right now it's just default black + stars).

All those who said they'd check it out for the betatest, expect a PM this evening. :D

I could write some long post about my excitement for a mission made by muh Tafferbro, but why while I have perfect picture for that?

But still... Get ready for Taffer's judgement, JF.

cYanmPn.gif

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I am replaying the Rocksbourg missions for the first time (having played them earlier around 2009 or so) and I am faced with a dilemma: Eventually I found myself running around in circles, unsure and/clueless as to where to go and what to do. These missions are unforgiving in that regard, to the point that I needed a walkthrough for ANIR2 and am foreseeing that I'll need one for ANIR3.

The problem is, the only walkthroughs I can access at the moment are klatremus's "Supreme Thief" videos of the missions - and so far they've only helped me complete the mission objectives, the secrets are a completely different matter.

The websites of both ricebug and klatremus (that should host these walkthroughs) are offline or time out.

Another point worth mentioning - I think that the ANIR3 intro video is one of the best Thief intros ever made. It captures the style perfectly and manages to get so much across.

Divinity: Original Sin
I am replaying the Rocksbourg missions for the first time (having played them earlier around 2009 or so) and I am faced with a dilemma: Eventually I found myself running around in circles, unsure and/clueless as to where to go and what to do. These missions are unforgiving in that regard, to the point that I needed a walkthrough for ANIR2 and am foreseeing that I'll need one for ANIR3.

The problem is, the only walkthroughs I can access at the moment are klatremus's "Supreme Thief" videos of the missions - and so far they've only helped me complete the mission objectives, the secrets are a completely different matter.

The websites of both ricebug and klatremus (that should host these walkthroughs) are offline or time out.

Another point worth mentioning - I think that the ANIR3 intro video is one of the best Thief intros ever made. It captures the style perfectly and manages to get so much across.
you may check ricebug's collection of walkthroughs new website:

http://www.bogadocious.com/thief/walks/walks.html

ANIR campaign walkthrough is down the page, in the campaigns section.

EDIT:

maybe click here:

http://www.bogadocious.com/thief/walks/ANIR.zip

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
While I am grateful for the link (and having at least a functional walkthrough) I am noticing...inconsistencies. ANIR1 reports 4 secrets, yet the walkthrough only mentions 2. (ANIR2 reports 10 secrets, but the walkthrough says they're only 5 though, so it could be a DromED thing). The walkthrough also suggests "bash through the door" far too often, which is a tactic that doesn't work anymore (I checked).

Still, it's better than nothing. One other thing I did find (though I'm certain I'm not the first one to do so) is that in ANIR2, in the area where some corpses are being burnt while a Mechanist Priest watches, there's a Soul Keeper high up on a balcony that's watching the events below. He's not hostile (in fact he doesn't react to anything) and is the only nameless critter I've come across in the mission.

Right. Time to get taffin'.

Well, my ANIR 1 reports 2 secrets:

ANIR 2, 5 secrets:

ANIR 3, 10 secrets:

Well, these were from my old saves. Don't know if there's updated versions of ANIR that adds more secrets. About the door bashing, well, I don't remember using this strategy since I never remember this feature is in thief. Anyway, ricebug walkthroughs are mostly a collection of hints, but they generally have a comprehensive loot list and they list secrets.

Now, klatremus website is broken for me.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm not sure if I'm using the latest version, but I do remember that I had to modify mine to lower the ambient volume in ANIR 1 & 2.

I checked the date, and they're dated July 2009...as in downloaded then.

I'm not sure if I'm using the latest version, but I do remember that I had to modify mine to lower the ambient volume in ANIR 1 & 2.

I checked the date, and they're dated July 2009...as in downloaded then.

I had to do that too, I remember now that you mentioned it. Mine are from may 17th, 2009.

DrKubiac

Educated
Oh boy, I hope you enjoy the ride...

I messed up so many things with the first 2 missions : unfair/frustrating gameplay, odd design choices, noob soundwork... Back in the day it was alright for me, now I can't do anything else but cringe about them and I really wonder why did they become cult classics. Hopefully it became better with the third mission.
The sound volume was way too loud for Rocksbourg 1 & 2, Bikerdude made a patch with corrected ambients but I have no idea if it can be found nowadays.
IIRC there are only 2 secrets in R1, but sometimes it shows 4 because mistakes...

The member of the Order can be found in a few more places, as if he's stalking you. And thanks about the briefing video from R3, I really appreciate it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I remember the patch, but I just fixed it manually myself.

I enjoyed the ride, ANIR 3 makes it all worthwhile. It's an awesome and well thought-out mission, one of the top ones out there.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Unkillable Cat: Since you mentioned this, I decided to paste in the text for the Grimoire in the last level of Calendra's Legacy. Haven't read it much but it has certainly got an... odd writing style.

page_0: "BOOK I THE GRIMOIRE

The skies shall tear as parchment, punctured by the sword of a bird and woman's words.
And this shall happen after a year's war that leaves children at the heads of nations.
-The Grimoire

Act I: The Lock

Sena was gorgeous.
At least in the beginning she was gorgeous. By 562, Year of the Salamander-according to the Roll set forth by Yacob Skie-her beauty would change. But in the beginning she was a marvel to look upon. Her skin brought to mind the sands of an hourglass poured through by evening light. Or perhaps a better metaphor for her gleaming skin was church gold; smooth, hard, theft-worthy and stretched so thin and tight it barely covered her nubile body."

page_1: "Yes, Sena was more like church gold, mainly because there was never enough of her to go around.
She might have been a seductive candlestick cast as an altarpiece by the Nilora circa 900 S.K. (Six Kingdoms Reckoning) in the great and errant city of Bablemum on the Tebesh Plateau over seven hundred years ago; but like any of those immoral icons, she too had grown numb to her worshipers' caress. Regardless, from her amber-colored toes to her soft seraphic mouth, Sena's was a body whose every inch wanted description.
On Mresh 8th, Day of the White Moon, Year of the Falcon, Sena stood in a dim room. Nervously, her fingers teased the wild gold curls she had borne since childhood into a sort of counterfeit nevertheless alluring halo while she looked at a dark shape on the table."

page_2: "Her blue eyes reflected a low fat object.
Sena's eyes, some said, masqueraded as wells of infinite depth. Those who fell in, however, found themselves surprised and broken against a shallow bottom. Though they foreshadowed immeasurable lovely things, Sena's terminal blue eyes defined only steel and the spike of the buckler. They were cunning eyes. They were bedroom eyes. Sena closed them and tried to relax but inside her head, the book howled.
The book, Sena thought, was hideous. It reeked of antiquity. Its origin was unspeakable and forgotten. Certainly it had come out of the dim ages before men ever set foot upon the Tebesh Plateau. She touched the dingy crimson hide lovingly. Leather, once bright, had faded and torn. Metal ferrules riveted at the corners held together sagging hide. The ferrules"

page_3: "were beaten to resemble coiled snakes. Their bodies, worn smooth with centuries of handling, harbored greenish pits where air worked the metal. Under Sena's caress, the book felt uncomfortably cool. Though it did not have an actual title, a faint dark scrawl looped across the front. Sena called it the Grimoire, for that was its name in legends.
The Grimoire was locked. No living person had read its pages. In the latch, the tumblers could be seen like the rusted legs of a metal spider that had crawled inside and curled up to sleep.
It was because of the Grimoire that Sena chose to live alone. Her remote cottage sat on the northern edge of a plateau called the Highlands of Tue; it was a raven-haunted landscape empty of people. The Highlands of Tue were lightly wooded and"

page_4: "overlooked crooked wastes to the east known as the Stonelands and less arid grasslands to the north which people called the Marches. The Highlands of Tue were green from storms that brewed south in the Valley of Nifol. During the summer, warm rains fed the Highlands. Nectar-heavy blossoms tangled everywhere and honeybees patrolled the open meadows, packing gold dust on their legs that they carried dutifully back into the trees.
The bastion of society closest to Sena's cottage was the mighty City State of Sandren, established 640 S.K. by a precious metals merchant named Gimmon Mae. Also known as the City in the Mountain, Sandren rested in the Ghalla Peaks, eighteen leagues to the west.
A young nobleman who lived in Sandren had given Sena money to build and furnish her cottage as a gift upon"

page_5: "her graduation from the High College of Desdae. Tynan Brakest was his name. His father owned vineyards in the Valley of Nifol and for him at least gold gryphs did grow on vines. Tynan would have been at Sena's cottage every day had the journey from Sandren not taken an entire day horsed. But infrequent visits suited Sena best and she did not mourn his regular absence.
Despite Sena's reclusive habits, Tynan might never have envisioned his lover as a witch-were it not for a series of events that happened towards the end of the Year of the Falcon 561 and which I will put forth much later in this: a history of my final days in the lands of the Jooly, which by translation is the lands of the Low Children, or the lands of Men. Witches outside Mirayhr were hanged or buried alive. And yet Tynan was not a complete fool."

page_6: "He had been schooled in Sandren at a fine college, though not as fine as Desdae. Since his graduation, he entered into the family business and hauled his father's wine from town to town. He traveled mostly through the Country of Mirayhr to places with names like Skaif, Null Hill and Skellum, selling barrels at shrewd prices to taverns and inns. It was a trade he had been at for several years when he first met Sena in a bakery in one of the nameless hamlets east of Darkling Wood and north of the Highlands of Tue. For him, it was something like love at first sight. But Tynan's fall was nothing anyone could blame him for. Even the brightest boys at Desdae had fallen into Sena's blue eyes.
Tynan began falling immediately.
On a chilly autumn evening, shortly"

page_7: "after Sena's sixteenth birthday, she confided in Tynan that it was her dream to study. Though he had been her lover only six months, he decided then and there that he would pay her tuition at Desdae, the most prestigious school in the Hinterlands. So, a common girl who worked in a bakery in the Country of Mirayhr, traveled to the Kingdom of Greymoor, which lay some seventy-five miles east, across a low bank of mountains called The Spine, and there began exploring the wondrous secrets the world of Adummim had to offer. Unfortunately for Tynan, some of those secrets were other boys.
Tynan's fall was exaggeratedly long and slow. Whatever depth Sena lacked, Tynan made up for with profound denial. Even Sena marveled at his blindness, which continued as intensely as its source-an endless gush of passion that flowed"

page_8: "like the rich juices from his father's press. For eight years, Tynan paid her way at school, harboring a futile hope that his generosity and kindness would pay off. Perhaps if Tynan had been at her cottage on the 8th of Mresh, he would have finally crashed. Perhaps tonight he would have noticed how Sena's eyes strayed to the ancient Grimoire as if it were her newest lover. Then might have begun the questions whose answers-spoken or not-would inevitably sunder their relationship.
The shadows from a solitary candle hovered tensely over Sena's table and the worn split wood seemed to grimace. Farther back, the white daub of the walls stood phantom-like at the edge of the light. And tacked in the beams overhead, pungent-smelling herbs hung like spidery seraphs,"

page_9: "clawing over an unholy rite. Sena's whole cottage seemed to hold its breath. But she could not open the book. Its latch required a key no locksmith could produce. So Sena looked at the Grimoire with frayed attention and moved to stand restlessly in the doorway to her home. Beyond the open door, a meadow glimmered with queelub. They flitted through the weeds, flashing their fat blue insect bodies at each other while dusk settled over the singularly lonesome Highlands of Tue. It was early spring and the fresh air reminded her of graduation.
It had been two years since she left the High College of Desdae to search for the Grimoire. She thought back four years to when she had been a student deeply imbedded in ink-rich clutter."

page_10: "Poking through the private notes of her instructor, Morgan Gullows, she found a bit of doggerel. In the dank cellar of Githum Hall, from stained and dog-eared pages, rose a myth. The words lifted themselves into Sena's eyes like a resurrection of dead lore and spoke of the legendary book now lying on her table.
The Grimoire was a book unlike any other. Nearly two decades ago, during the Year of the Crow, it belonged to a warlock-king who lived in the north most country of the Duchy of Stonehold. But the warlock's luck had taken a turn for the worse. His estate auctioned, emptied and hollow, was left crumbling in the foothills of the Healean Range. Now he rested out back with his ancestors, amid young trees and ancient headstones. That was the rumor."

page_11: "Since the warlock had no family, the curios in his estate were bought by extravagant collectors from the South. The Grimoire must have been auctioned along with hundreds of other books. Sena left Desdae, obsessed with the possibility of finding it. What luck when it turned up in a bookshop in Sandren, thrown on a pile with several codices of moral law. Sena could not believe her eyes. I want this one, she said, holding up the faded volume.
The proprietor smiled with lips like wood shavings-pale smooth and tight, Comes from Stonehold, it does-very old. Can't open it though. Latch's rusted shut, see? He took it in his hands and shook it as though that were the best way to illustrate.
How much do you want? Sena looked at him coyly, then turned away, pretending to consider.
It's very old, his thin fingers"

page_12: "caressed the leather. The binding suggests it might have come from the islands before I found it in Stonehold. He did not get customers like her very often. In the midst of his dim shop, amid waves of age-tinctured books, she was a bright nymph with cunning charms.
I'll give you five gold gryphs, Sena said.
He simpered at her. But she was pretty as a new coin.
Ten? she offered.
Ten? he echoed.
And it was sold. The Hinterland's most potent and most inauspicious book of spells traded hands for the price of two good draft horses.
Sena looked across the queelub-speckled meadow. Beyond the playful insects, a storm drifted unconsciously below the level of the plateau-as though it rose from the mythic edge of the world."

page_13: "Thunderheads rumbled. Rain and lighting hung in heavy veils below their bellies. If only it could drown out the howling in her head. Like a gruesome infant, the Grimoire screamed to be opened. Finally, Sena succumbed. She left the sweet smell of blossoms behind and went inside to write the letter she had long known she must write. Her range of alternatives had dwindled to naught, yet she smiled. There are spells, she whispered to the book whose thickness exceeded her arm, even for things like you.
As Sena stepped through the tiny house, Nis watched sleepily from a straw-seated chair. Sena patted his head once, went up the stairs and sat down at a spindly desk.
The loft was small as it was clean. Her narrow bed barely fit below the angle of the rafters. It smelled of fresh linen and dried"

page_14: " flowers.
From the desk, she took an expensive sheet of parchment and penned a brief letter. On a second sheet, she drew a funny little map, frowning in frustration as the ink refused to shape itself into proper images of trees. After what did not look like thirty minutes of concentration, she gave up, blew the ink dry, and folded both pages together.
Sena paused as the quiet enfolded her. The crickets were silent. Only the wind blew softly across the shingles, reminding her of a place far away where not even the Grimoire's abysmal moaning could penetrate; the musky-smelling memory of a boy's warm body, of a lonely place and the danger of theft."

page_15: "It was the reminiscence of thousands of books, millions of paper-scented words, of love in the dust, forgery and deceit. Sena blinked to clear her mind and took out a slender brass key. It was tarnished and flecked with paint. A bit of paper had been wired to the handle that read Attic. This she removed delicately. She touched the key to her lips, smelling the old metal. Then she put the key, the letter, and the map in an envelope she folded herself.
The instant she sealed it, the Grimoire's howl returned. Oh yes, her lovely lips hissed, There are spells for things like you.

(Shameless plug for Purah's novel which you can read in pdf format at www.purah.com)"

(scroll in demon room)

Random_Taffer

Educated
I've got Purah's novel "The Last Page."
I haven't actually finished it, but he's definitely improved. He's clearly inspired by high fantasy authors like Gene Wolfe. I used to not really care much for that style, but I've developed a taste for the beauty of the language in the last few years.

Max_b5

Augur
I really love the use of the Opera textures, especially because it's hardly ever seen in fms. One thing though: try using the same wall texture for the four sides of the room.

I would also exchange that lamp on the wall for a painting. Or a painting with a lamp for it.

Also, the lower part of the wall's textures are misaligned.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Sorry for being a bit vain as I had posted a bit of my mission just day before yesterday, but here's my first attempt at a luxurious room:

zqIGP7b.jpg

I love it the way it is, but the textures on the wall with the lamp should be changed so they're more in line with the other walls. At least make the trim have the same height as the trim on the other walls, that's the main thing that is jarring: having wallpaper only on one wall while the others are wood would fit to an eccentric's room, but the trim being the same is pretty important.

The atmosphere of the room is pretty great, though. This looks very much like classic Thief Gold, good job there.

Oh and yeah, Darth Slaughter's suggestion of putting a painting on that wall is good. I'd place the lamp a little bit higher, and then a painting just below it so it's illuminated by the lamp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom