Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
874 MB! That's larger than T2X at 656 MB. Well, got my weekend programme now... :)

... downloading the file.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mission 2 is making this download worth it. It's one of the best Pagan-esque missions I've played in years.

One question though: Why is there an RPG with fetch-quests in my beloved Thief? ;)

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Yes, Mission 2 has some of the best, if not the best, swamp scenery you'll ever see in Thief. I don't like the snakes much as a foe but the other enemies are really cool. I also don't mind the RPG quests. :)

Divinity: Original Sin
Does it have briefing videos in game or not? Sometimes my thief doesn't play videos so I don't know if it's the game or the FM...

If by "in-game" as in before-the-start-of-each-mission... then yeah, they're there.

nevermind. I have problems that makes my thief games sometimes not play any cutscenes. I just have to exit and restart and try again until it works. It worked now, but it took a lot of tries this time...

Tannar

Novice
The videos are available on YouTube as well. Links are in the readme file.

Tannar

Novice
Ah, I see. Yeah, he posted them for people who might have trouble seeing them in game.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Just chiming here to say that I didn't find most of the jumps hard, but getting through some of the windows was a pain at times. That, and the stationary hammer priest was quite a bit annoying. Neat little level, though I wish there was more information provided about why the red clothed guards weren't hostile to you and the food items were easier to spot.

Tannar

Novice
The red clothed guards are just private security for the manor they're standing in front of (Lord Frederic's Manor according to the map). They are aren't City Watch officers so they have no interest in you unless they see you brandishing weapons and harming the City Watch. Then they become hostile toward you.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The red clothed guards are just private security for the manor they're standing in front of (Lord Frederic's Manor according to the map). They are aren't City Watch officers so they have no interest in you unless they see you brandishing weapons and harming the City Watch. Then they become hostile toward you.

That's not my experience of them. I didn't disable a single guard within sight of them, and yet they were all up in my Scottish moustache when I was mucking about on the floor above them.

That's not my experience of them. I didn't disable a single guard within sight of them, and yet they were all up in my Scottish moustache when I was mucking about on the floor above them.

They messed up with me when I got to close to them. so they got black jack treatment. BTW, anyone found the secret? I guess it would be the church tower, but I couldn't get there...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
FINALLY finished Mission 2. It's easily one of the best Pagan-missions ever released for Thief. But I have to say I wasn't that impressed by the roughly 10 minutes of exposition piled on me, nor the accompanying fetch quests. At least the Eldin sequence is pretty cool and well worth a watch.

I finished with only one secret (golden dice) and missing almost 2000 loot! I must have missed something.

There's an optional objective involving gathering bugs in a jar. I found and bagged four of them, but I have no clue where the fifth one could be. Is there one in the village itself?

For those that get lost or can't find their way: Read the map and consult your compass. The mission starts in the village in the southeast corner of the map. Every other location marked on the map can be found by following the compass. The caves are the key to getting around, examine them carefully.

Yandros

Savant
Hey R_T:

trading_places_one_dollar.jpg

Random_Taffer

Educated
There's an optional objective involving gathering bugs in a jar. I found and bagged four of them, but I have no clue where the fifth one could be. Is there one in the village itself?

1. Butterfly west of Nilbog near the cave entrances. Flies along the fallen logs every once in a while.
2. Dragonfly around the lake area. Wait by the large rock near the cave to Nilbog and he'll come by.
3. Butterfly East of Glimmer Grove. Flies along the river.
4. Dragonfly outside Cypress's hut.
5. Moth by the ruined tower where the dead hammers are. Flies around there.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Thanks for that, now I have a jar full of bugs...and no clue what to do with it.

There are at least 3 suspicious places in Mission 2 that I have no clue about (Witches' hut, lone stump in a cave, mummification room in temple) but I can't find anything there that would explain why I'm missing so much loot.

I found the mask and the bonus objective and that overhead-slashing those eye plants is not a good idea. :oops:

Random_Taffer

Educated
One of those suspicious locations is the place for the jar. I have confidence you'll figure out which. There are two secrets in the temple, both are very similar and contain loot. There is another secret in Nilbog (think high) which had quite a bit of loot as well. The other secret has to do with the jar.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
So far, I have finished the first mission and delved a little into the second. The first is surprisingly small: for such a gigantic download, I expected something more extensive, but it was good while it lasted. Good looks, fun sneaking, some exploration. Didn't have trouble with the windows, at least no more than Thief tends to cause by default. Had to resort to some KOs in side areas, but otherwise, it was fairly easy.

The second mission is, regrettably, a swamp level, and I don't like those too much, but as swamp levels go, it looks like a good one. Will investigate further.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Good news, I found where the jar goes (though I had tried it before without success).

Bad news: :what:

EDIT: Found the other secrets you mentioned. The secret in Nilbog is quite awesome as it can be spotted from the ground by a very keen eye.

But that still leaves one... and the witches' hut is still a very suspicious place.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Congrats on the release! The first mission is incredibly frustrating though, mantling into small windows on steep slanted surfaces is an absolute pain in the ass and the mission is full of these. :(
Just finished the first mission and I agree. It reminds me of a not-quite-as-good version of Lady Rowena's The Tower. Hoping the next two (I believe it's three total?) are better. One window is particular seems like it was specifically designed to be extremely fucking annoying to get into, as the wall it's in is slanted away from you at the bottom, forcing you to jump at it in order to mantle into it. If you don't connect with it juuust right then you slide off, fall, and die. Thank Yahweh for quick save/load and my SSD, I guess.

I mostly agree, but the window-climbery wasn't too bad for me. There was exatly ONE window that I found to be supremely frustrating (the one in the building that is labeled "pub" on the map, where you find a letter inside that speaks of a pilgrimage).
What really, really pissed me off was:
- getting to the area where a lone archer patrols; I tried jumping over there from the slanted roof so many times, I started to believe you can't get there. When I finally got there I found a piece of food there, and since you have to get ALL the food pieces in the level, getting there is required!
- the Hammerite's home; I didn't find any way to reach the window which lets you get him from behind, so you can safely knock him out; the only way through for me was to go into the lower window from my apartment, get him into search mode by making noise, then exploiting the knockout system by running behind him while he's searching. There has to be a way to reach the other window from the outside, but I didn't find it
- THE HIDDEN SWITCH IN MY OWN APARTMENT!! WHY THE HELL DO I NOT HAVE A SINGLE CLUE ABOUT WHERE IT IS? I had to ask in the TTLG forum about it. Turns out the hidden switch is behind the bookcase. It's my own goddamn place, the objective should mention "I need to get my stash, the switch to access it is behind my bookshelf" because honestly, you should know where the hell your own secret switch is

Other than that, very nice mission. It's small, it's vertical, I expected to get rope arrows at some point but there are none. The exploration by jumping around on rafters jutting out of buildings worked pretty well and was rather exciting. "Holy shit I hope I'm not going to fall! I wonder if I can get to that place over there!" Visually, the mission is excellent. Very atmospheric, nice narrow streets and tall buildings. Purty.

Now I'm on the second mission and at about 30 minutes in, I'm quite impressed at how varied it is. Swamp, ruins, tombs, caves.
I hate caves, but I'm still enjoying the mission (the parts that aren't caves more than the parts that are).

I like the writing of the readables but I'm 100% sure Unkillable Cat is going to criticize them for audiolog syndrome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom