Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Random_Taffer

Educated
If you've reminded someone of the atmosphere of Dark Souls, you're doing something right I'd say.
I concur with max_b5, UC. You should try and create them. If they're good enough, perhaps you could assemble a team to put them together.
In any case, I love talking mission ideas, so I'd love to hear them sometime.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I managed to make an FM, flawed as it might have been, and am now working on others Unkillable Cat, and so can you! :P

Random_Taffer, I love talking mission ideas too. Wanna chat about the ideas I have (two of which I'm working on already)?

Also, this is genius :lol:
2fbOqCR.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin
You have to kill them.

(I chucked them all into the lava stream after I had knocked them out.)

There's more to this objective than that, but the objective is ticked off once ALL hostile critters in the temple are gone.

Random_Taffer, I did this, but this "ALL" unkillable cat mentions means I have to activate the brasier and kill the fire elementals also? I did the same as Jarl, I Blackjacked every craymen, then threw all of them on the lava and smashed all the eggs... It didn't checked off...

I guess I have to kill some undead, but how do I make them appear?

Last edited:

Random_Taffer

Educated
You have to get into sealed off part of the temple. I've noticed that some people have had trouble locating the giant lever because it's in shadow. In the same room you found the fire keeper's amulet, there is a lever on the wall which opens the throne gate and spawns in some undead precursors.

Divinity: Original Sin
You have to get into sealed off part of the temple. I've noticed that some people have had trouble locating the giant lever because it's in shadow. In the same room you found the fire keeper's amulet, there is a lever on the wall which opens the throne gate and spawns in some undead precursors.

The thing is, I found the dagger but I missed it's "keyhole". once inside I got everything right. Finished mission 2, now I'm enjoying mission 4.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
This is excellent, there is a mission in The Black Parade that is planned to use some as well.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Completed nicked's latest FM, Behind Closed Doors. 2h35, missed one objective and about 2k loot.
This mission wouldn't be out of place in Dishonored. Lots of vertical exploration, lots of very interesting places to find and the map is enormous. The dusk setting was pretty refreshing and some of the ambients were really nice, even though a couple can get irritating after a while. I loved how the City Watch grunts had their swords sheathed and I liked the few new AI motions. The mission has a few minor construction issues but most people won't notice them. So, yeah. Get it if you want a great rooftop mission with lots to find!

Max_b5

Augur
Thanks for the heads up. I know what I'm gonna do tonight :)

Btw if you don't have the petal particles for TBP I can send these to you.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
...I don't get it.

There's this powerful editor like DromED, more than 15 years of experience earned that's freely shared by users of that editor, hundreds of missions that are the product of that experience, thousands of man-hours put into making all this, plenty of good ideas floating about... and what do we get? Banal shit boring efforts that have been done countless times before... and better.

Yes, I'm talking about "Behind Closed Doors". It's a big cityscape mission with vertical elements... but that's about where the good parts end. None of what follows is really bad, it's just meh. I played for an hour before just giving up out of lack of interest. The murder mystery seemed somewhat interesting, but even that wasn't enough to keep me going.

# It's an obstacle course disguised as a cityscape. It's so apparent that everything is placed just so for the player - some things for convenience, some things for inconvenience. This never feels like a city, or a house... just a set of hurdles to overcome.
# For a cityscape mission there are too many artificial restrictions upon the player's movements. Too many gates that can only be opened from one side (with the levers visible but conveniently just out of reach) and too many key hunts for locked doors. Rope Arrows are not provided at the start of the mission, yet locations requiring them can be found very early on, meaning backtracking is required.
# To further "enhance" the gameplay of the mission, it starts with a laundry list of objectives that just keeps growing as you play. I spotted some suspicious-looking bottles under a desk in a house just by the start, and sure enough I meet an NPC that gives me a fetch quest of finding bottles of strong spirits... including the aforementioned suspicious-looking bottles under the desk.
# On that note, I spotted some suspiciously placed potted plants in annoying places. I'm guessing these will be important for some reason later.
# There are too many jumps requiring absolute precision with no room for error. This isn't like squeezing in through an open window, I mean like having to jump from very thin ledges or balcony railings... most of which are made out of marble or metal, of course.
# Repeat after me: Dusk missions do not work properly in the Dark Engine. It's called the Dark Engine for a reason. It screws with the light gem so that it's very hard to tell what is a shadow that will conceal you, and what is not... and that's before you change the light gem graphics to make it even harder to gauge your concealment. Moving about becomes a gigantic chore of trial and error.
# Pulling tricks like making decorated balconies sound like stone when walked upon, but making the balcony railing sound like marble when walked upon, is not cool.
# Lack of consistency. The key to the Watch Station remains in my inventory even after I use it, but the stolen key disappears forever the moment I use it. What if I want to lock that door again, because, say, of the guard placed just beyond it? There's a room consisting of nothing but a draped doorway and an armoire that's bigger than the doorway. They would have had to assemble the damn thing inside the room for this to make sense!
# EVERY piece of text is an audiolog! Worse than that, the NPC that gives you the fetch quest uses voiced lines to do so, yet there's a book next to him containing MORE exposition text from him! This is lazy to the point of being inexcusable.

I just can't be bothered with this. At least Mission 4 in Godbreaker is worth struggling with the horrible start (yes, I've played it), this one barely rises above mediocrity at any point.

I get exactly what skacky is on about when he says this wouldn't be out of place in Dishonored. It sure is bland enough to belong in a Bethesda title.

If I want banal shit boring, I turn to AAA-titles, not Thief.

nicked

Educated
skacky - Glad you enjoyed my mission! By "minor construction issues", do you mean where there's a few buildings that obviously border skyboxes, that sort of thing? Or issues with the actual designs of the buildings?

Melan - apologies for the (accidental) name steal! My incredibly flimsy excuse is that my mission is for Thief 2, not the Dark Mod. Hope you're not too offended!

Unkillable Cat - They did say this was the place to be for non-sugar-coated criticism. :) Sorry you didn't enjoy the mission! At risk of sounding overly defensive (not my intention; in fact thanks for being so frank, it's a refreshing change from the TTLG echo chamber), I wonder how much of your complaints are just down to personal preference? I guess if you didn't like Dishonored, it follows that you wouldn't like this mission - I love Dishonored and was definitely heavily influenced by it, and I also tried hard to make the mission accessible, which perhaps translated as bland.

A few points - I don't see a large list of objectives as being a negative. I deliberately structured the mission as a number of mini plots to make it feel more like a "day in the life" than a big, world-saving narrative. I'm curious as to which texts you thought sounded like audiologs - there are a few (hopefully in-character) journals, but I went to some lengths to try and avoid the thinking-in-text problem by using letters, official reports etc. wherever I could. I can totally see where you're coming from re: the city feeling like an obstacle course rather than a natural series of buildings, although I'm not sure where you were struggling to make jumps - I tried to structure everything to allow multiple routes and have plenty of incidental details to climb on. Gating the player is another deliberate choice, to allow the mission to open up gradually rather than being open and go-anywhere at the start - I was trying to avoid overwhelming players and reduce unnecessary back-tracking and people getting lost. But equally, some buildings just had to exist as thoroughfares, and it can be very hard to dress that up naturally.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dev_Anj

Learned
Hi nicked! Welcome to the unofficially official Thief thread on the Codex. Nice seeing you here alongside all the other notable authors. Hopefully you enjoy your stay here. Glad to see you take the criticism well too.

Max_b5

Augur
Another one joins the Codex :)

I finished the mission 125 loot short more or less. Classical rooftops map with lots of exploration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom