Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Yandros

Savant
In that thread downwinder cited something in the OMs suggesting that Dewdrop is male. That needs to be verified though, as with about anything downwinder says. Between his usual stuff and BruderMurus' spam in ThiefGen, TTLG is quite the circus sideshow currently.

Random_Taffer

Educated
I think it is actually a male doll. I played it recently and I feel like I noted that as interesting as I always thought it was a girl.

marbleman

Educated
It is a he. In Trail of Blood, the pagan girl says, "His name is Dewdrop, and he doesn't likes mechanists." [sic]

I can't, however, find proof that Dewdrop was created by a former hammerite mage out of spite :P

Max_b5

Augur
I hope he hasn't fallen into the tight grasp of the Brudermurus Downwinderis epidemic.

Last edited:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Thief community has always had an older user base with more women (and, at least as far as we know, no fake women). Thief itself was already an outlier among late 90s games, so no wonder the community doesn't follow the regular gaming trends. Come to think of it, while the Thief fandom swings leftwards, it seems to be thankfully free of the screeching purple-haired hordes, praise the Builder. Which again proves that LGS cultivated excellence and win, and their effort has paid off in major ways.+M

Random_Taffer

Educated
Come to think of it, while the Thief fandom swings leftwards, it seems to be thankfully free of the screeching purple-haired hordes, praise the Builder.

Shhh! Don't talk too loud or we'll soon be hearing about the "Taffer+" community.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Too late - the community has clearly been infiltrated (and then subsuquently taken over) by tafferists.

Max_b5

Augur
This offends me as a Pagan transmutant beast who eats vegetables 4 times a week and I'm also a female Hammerite as I identify myself as a rock tree beast ape mega god of righteousness and if you don't agree with me you're an ignorant arrogant globaphobic cityhead.

Random_Taffer

Educated
Being a Tafferist is about equality.
Let's discuss the Loot Gap.

Female identifying taffers find about 71% of the loot male identifying taffers find.
This is a problem and needs to be addressed. Is the newdark team paying attention?
I propose each installation of Thief 2 have a user profile where gender is specified. 57 of these genders will have female leanings and will thus be awarded 29% of all loot on the end level stat screen.

EDIT: Yes, we may wind up with female identifying taffers (FITs) getting 129% of the loot, but this is an acceptable result after at least two decades of hideous misogyny from the LGS patriarchy.

Last edited:

Squadafroinx

Novice
Since I saw Purah released a module for D&D, I'd like to hear some opinions on why Calendra's Legacy is so memorable ambiance-wise. It is the textures he choose? The story? I remember seeing a great (but short) analysis by Melan where he said Garrett is a real master thief but I think's it's more than that.

Long story short, I'm making a sequel for Watery Grave (instead of working on R0 or TBP :smug: ) and while I tried for W.G. (and more or less succeeded, you tell me) to make a dark and desolate atmosphere since the map takes place in a small borough near the walled section, I'd like to obtain the same strange D&D ambiance of CL (I'll post some screenshots later, right now it's jorge extravaganza :M)

Last edited:

Max_b5

Augur
The most reliable way of building a dark atmosphere is by using white light sources and TDP textures. Works every time. :)

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since I saw Purah released a module for D&D, I'd like to hear some opinions on why Calendra's Legacy is so memorable ambiance-wise. It is the textures he choose? The story? I remember seeing a great (but short) analysis by Melan where he said Garrett is a real master thief but I think's it's more than that.
It is a combination of multiple things reinforcing each other:
  • Texture selection, which is full of crumbling, rotting and otherwise dirtied elements (Calendra's Cistern and Lampfire Hills use T1 stock, which is like that from the get-go).
  • A lot of fairly complex architecture that uses wedges and cylinders to build interesting facades. When I first picked up Dromed, I went through a few missions to see how they did things, and CC was the most rewarding in terms of architectural variety - CL was more like impossible "this should not exist" next-level stuff.
  • Lots of peaked stuff, lots of non-rectangular towers, lots of under- and overpasses, lots of stairs, lots of niches and recesses. A few spiky bits. This is different from Thief, which - somewhat against what you'd expect from it - is deliberately not gothic.
  • Stuff is lit up with interesting contrasting lights.
  • Stories are full of sinister people and plots, even more so than regular Thief. Purple prose abound, 1990s White Wolf-style (in the early 2000s, Thief the Circle had an active fan fiction community, and all of their writing was like that - Purah's missions are in one corner of that shared universe, the unfinished CoSaS is in another).
I think that thing about Purah's Garrett being The King of Thieves (as opposed to, say, Sperry's missions, which show a desperate nobody, or a lot of missions which show him in a fairly positive light) is incidental.

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I certainly like how Garrett is interpreted by various FM authors, Purah's Garrett is extremely cynical and a real asshole at times. My own vision of Garrett in my FMs is very close to TDP's, very professional and pretty cold. Hume in our upcoming campaign is more like Sperry's vision, he's a lot more desperate than Garrett and doesn't have his legendary skills and reputation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom