Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

hackncrazy

Savant
don't think it matters, in either case all you have to do is install the latest newdark using tfix or tafferpatcher and then use the simple FM loading tool that comes with it
thief 1 and 2 fms are entirely different so yes, it does matter. if you don't want both for some reason then the vast majority of fan missions are for thief 2. i'd also recommend against buying them from steam or gog since you're technically giving square enix like a dollar or something and that's kinda gay

Oh, when I said "which version", I've meant GOG or Steam, and not 1 or 2. My plan is to get all 3 games.

prengle

Savant
Oh, when I said "which version", I've meant GOG or Steam, and not 1 or 2. My plan is to get all 3 games.
i'd generally rather buy games from gog implying i pay for videogames but even then thief 1 and 2 come pre-patched with newdark on gog whereas the steam versions are entirely untouched, so tl;dr get 'em from gog. i don't think thief 3 comes with fan patches on either storefront

also tafferpatcher is dead, use tfix lite for thief 1 (voodoo makes somewhat questionable changes in the full version), t2fix for thief 2 and sneaky upgrade for thief 3. also get a decent pair of headphones and spend some time enabling hrtf in t1/2 because it's worth it (this may work for thief 3 but i haven't tried it)

hackncrazy

Savant
i'd generally rather buy games from gog implying i pay for videogames but even then thief 1 and 2 come pre-patched with newdark on gog whereas the steam versions are entirely untouched, so tl;dr get 'em from gog. i don't think thief 3 comes with fan patches on either storefront

also tafferpatcher is dead, use tfix lite for thief 1 (voodoo makes somewhat questionable changes in the full version), t2fix for thief 2 and sneaky upgrade for thief 3. also get a decent pair of headphones and spend some time enabling hrtf in t1/2 because it's worth it (this may work for thief 3 but i haven't tried it)

Thanks for the help! I'll get it from GOG then.

Pentium

Learned
Thief: Deadly Shadows did nothing wrong.

179643653.jpg
garrett.webp

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Had a quick run through the competition-missions.

"Sunken Temple of Dielya" is a Thief 2 puzzle-based tomb romp. Short, but features enough (one) pixel-perfect platforming and puzzles (more than one) to keep people going for a bit.

"The Weird Masquerade" has Garrett robbing a nobleman who's just acquired a mask that makes people... strange. The mansion decided to play along and now some of the rooms don't obey physics anymore.

"Morning Light" has Garrett visiting a lighthouse and uncovering its secrets. A very tightly and intricately constructed FM.

"Lone Rock Outpost" has Garrett nicking an object from an old fort located atop an ocean cliff. While functional it is quite barren.

And finally nicked comes in with the experimental FM of "Falling, In Love": You have one pip of health, you must climb down from the top of "an impossibly tall structure" and reach the bottom safely. How fast can you do it?

If I were to pick a winner among these, "Morning Light" nabs it easily as it appears to be complete, and not having run out of time. "Falling, In Love" deserves a mention as well for the sheer fun of it. (My time was 2:15, can you do better?)

Mikeal

Arcane
Had a quick run through the competition-missions.

"Sunken Temple of Dielya" is a Thief 2 puzzle-based tomb romp. Short, but features enough (one) pixel-perfect platforming and puzzles (more than one) to keep people going for a bit.

"The Weird Masquerade" has Garrett robbing a nobleman who's just acquired a mask that makes people... strange. The mansion decided to play along and now some of the rooms don't obey physics anymore.

"Morning Light" has Garrett visiting a lighthouse and uncovering its secrets. A very tightly and intricately constructed FM.

"Lone Rock Outpost" has Garrett nicking an object from an old fort located atop an ocean cliff. While functional it is quite barren.

And finally nicked comes in with the experimental FM of "Falling, In Love": You have one pip of health, you must climb down from the top of "an impossibly tall structure" and reach the bottom safely. How fast can you do it?

If I were to pick a winner among these, "Morning Light" nabs it easily as it appears to be complete, and not having run out of time. "Falling, In Love" deserves a mention as well for the sheer fun of it. (My time was 2:15, can you do better?)

Speaking about lighthouses everyone should check out The Last Lighthouse Keeper.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Are the shadows in Seven Sisters supposed to be messed up or is it just a NewDark problem? Either way I'm struggling to push on after leaving the crypt as it's becoming tedious. Is it worth it or will it be more of the same?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
A late arrival dropped in for the Summer speedbuild-contest: "The Four Emperors" is a Lost City-romp (for Thief Gold) with nice level design and puzzles. Worth a play in my books.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Will cam_mod.ini changes apply to FM loaders other than FMSel like AngelLoader? Curious if my T2FMDML install is even working.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Not as bad as Nightcrawler though.
Nightcrawler really is fucking shit but it's made worse by the fact that it comes at the end of what is overall a shit campaign, so you're struggling to get through it and finish it and then the slog that is Nightcrawler comes and smacks you in the face. Fuck Shadow of Doubt, it is legit terrible. All Astir and Broadsword of Sheol get a few bonus points for being 'different' but that campaign is ass. I've played hundreds of fan missions of T1 & T2 and that campaign broke me with how fucking poorly designed and broken everything is, it's been years since I've played SoD and it still triggers me when I remember playing it. I wish I never opened this thread and read the word Nightcrawler.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Are the shadows in Seven Sisters supposed to be messed up or is it just a NewDark problem? Either way I'm struggling to push on after leaving the crypt as it's becoming tedious. Is it worth it or will it be more of the same?

Night Two is 'more of the same' as it uses much of the same map as Night One, except some locations get switched out (you don't visit the crypt again). Night Three is a new map, though.

It's done like because back when it was released there were a lot of hardware/software limitations that needed to be worked around, and this was one way to go about it.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
My issue isn't the reused areas, but the dodgy shadows, limited avenues for reaching important areas, hyper alert AI, and patrols where multiple guards watch the same area with tiny windows of opportunity to hug specific corners you have no way of knowing before you reach them otherwise your gem is fully lit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yeah, the whole crypt/complex-area was pretty dicky on shadows and tight patrols, but hyper-alert AI? I don't recall that being a thing specific to the Seven Sisters, except for that one bandit gal at the start of Night One who could somehow spot bodies hidden in shadows around corners and stuff. I just made sure to knock her out first.

If you feel that the entire FM has been acting like this, then the Mechanist complex ain't gonna be much fun for you either, and neither will Night Three IIRC.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not as bad as Nightcrawler though.
Nightcrawler really is fucking shit but it's made worse by the fact that it comes at the end of what is overall a shit campaign, so you're struggling to get through it and finish it and then the slog that is Nightcrawler comes and smacks you in the face. Fuck Shadow of Doubt, it is legit terrible. All Astir and Broadsword of Sheol get a few bonus points for being 'different' but that campaign is ass. I've played hundreds of fan missions of T1 & T2 and that campaign broke me with how fucking poorly designed and broken everything is, it's been years since I've played SoD and it still triggers me when I remember playing it. I wish I never opened this thread and read the word Nightcrawler.

To prevent triggering people, we should write the mission's name like this in the future:
Nig*******er

Aholf Ditler

Novice
What do you know of any updates to Sensut's Nosferatu?, I am looking forward to continuing this campaign with new missions. The missions this man does in Thief is worthy of a master, like those done by our beloved Lady Rowena.

Scrounger

Educated
That's the only one I still didn't play. As far as I remember, Sensut has posted that he had plans for the whole campaign but that was in 2019 so who knows. Last version have two missions in it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom