Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Things you've learned to always do or never do in RPGs

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'll put some of the more obvious ones out there first:

- Always make sure your party is properly equipped

- Always make sure you've saved your game before entering a dark dungeon

- Always make sure your marching order is correct

- Never open a chest without checking for traps first

- Never cast a lightning bolt in a small room

- Never equip a mysterious new magic item without identifying it first

---

A couple of more obscure ones:

- Always go around the perimeter of a room with strange markings on its floor

- Never give anything really valuable to that NPC that just joined your party

GO!

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Never read an in-game book/scroll/journal entry longer than two pages or is titled "The Pernicious Parenting Habits of the Bug People of Fictionisia" or some inane shit.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I used to drive myself batshit when it came to consumables. I'd never use them except for that ONE perfect moment (which never came) and would often end up with no inventory space for more vital things. Then I'd look at something like a minor potion of healing and see I'm at full health and get so annoyed about having to toss it on the floor I'd purposely detour to find a monster to hit me a few times to justify it. Eventually I got older and it hit me one day: I could just buy more from a vendor in town. So now I drink that shit like it's water. I even use stuff like dexterity potions on magic users because fuck it, my game, my rules. The faster I use it the less I dwell on it.

I also always have a Thief in stealth and use them to walk through the entire dungeon and disarm shit. Then I get pissed when I see they put the spiders BEFORE the web trap and not the other way around. Fucking amateurs.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Always kill shady figures in cloaks. They always send you on some quest to get some artefact and end up becoming a bonny bastard that tries to conquer the word with his undead army. Always splatter them first!

Geckabor

Savant
In RPGs that feature a weight system and are fairly loot-heavy, I always determine a certain "value per weight unit" lower boundary for myself and only pick up items that exceed it. It just saves me so much time with constantly throwing away and collecting garbage. Obviously there are exceptions, but this is mainly for items I'm planning on selling.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
1. Save before turning in quests. Don't refuse the reward unless the reward for refusing the reward is higher than the reward.
2. Take every quest, no matter if it sounds like there is a time constraint. That baby about to be eaten in the goblin lair will still be there in two months when you get around to it.
3. Try to figure out what alignment the programmers want you to be. You should know after about 3 completed quests.
4. Save before opening every chest. Reload to see if the contents are randomized. Keep opening and reloading until you figure out what kinda random they are talking. (see: First chest in Arcanum)
5. See how much of a beating your NPC party members can take. Do they die, or just go unconscious? If they go unconscious, let them fight themselves unconscious and only then enter the battle.
6. Figure out the most OP stat. Dump everything in that.
7. Don't advance the main questline unless you are really bored and want to get the game over with.
8. Take any perk or whatever that gives you bonus experience points over everything.
9. Save all your potions until the end of the game. Rest instead of using a couple potions on everyone. End the game with 900 healing potions. It's better this way.

distant

Learned
Save skill points/attributes until I need them (then dump for relevant skill checks/resistances/talents when necessary)

Ladonna

Arcane
Always make sure your party is properly equipped

I learned that a long time ago the hard way. First time I played Pool of Radiance, game not saved, I went into a tavern and grabbed the hand of someone trying to pickpocket me. Massive bar brawl with no equipment or spells memorised.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
- Never cast a lightning bolt in a small room

What??
Ignore him,he is just too old. 80% of his list is some weird thing that only he does.
Bros, do you even D&D or Gold Box? :rpgcodex:

The rule that a lightning bolt will reflect off obstacles to reach its full extension has existed since original Dungeons & Dragons in 1974, and this was faithfully replicated in SSI's Gold Box games starting with Pool of Radiance in 1988.

Xelocix

Learned
Always skip female NPC dialogue unless it's Kreia in KotOR II. A females role in an RPG is to provide the player with eye-candy while you kill shit, and you should stop taking them seriously the instant they're able to kill multiple armed and fully grown men. Anything they say is a redundant and a waste of time.

This can also be applied to real life as well.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
-never read anything
+ skip cutscenes

...aaaaand then that final boss encounter
74f.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom