Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This explains so much about Human Revolution.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You liked Alpha Protocol right?

Right.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
MetalCraze said:
Hey I don't doubt Sawyer also played Fallout for 3 minutes before turning it off due to it not being a console shooter and then shitting out New Vegas.
http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=7141
What are your favourite computer games/board games and why?

My favourite computer games are Fallout, Darklands, Pool of Radiance (original), Tribes, Battlefield: 1942, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Age of Empires, and Age of Kings. The first three were all great RPGs with a lot of replay value. The first time I played Fallout, I barely took breaks to eat and sleep. As soon as I finished it, I replayed the whole game again. I still load up Darklands every once in a while to try different parties. Pool of Radiance had epic turn-based battles that have yet to be matched; Temple of Elemental Evil realistically beats it, but Pool has the nostalgia factor going for it.

Tribes, BF:1942, and ET are all great team-based multiplayer games. They infuriate me to the brink of madness, but at their best, they are great. I generally don’t play RTSs, but the Age games appealed to me because I enjoy the historical context. Very little pleases me more than rolling into a town with capped rams carrying Teutonic knights.
http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=24
When I first started working at Interplay, my goal was always to move over to development, climb up the ranks, and work on Fallout 3. Though I had played RPGs and CRPGs all my life, Fallout was the first RPG since the original Pool of Radiance to really kick me in the ass and excite me (Darklands was more of a slow burn). Well, as fate had it, I wound up working on the original Icewind Dale. I wasn't particularly thrilled with how my work on it came out but hey -- one step closer to Fallout 3, man. I then did some work on Heart of Winter, and that managed to actually be worse than my Icewind Dale stuff. Icewind Dale II came out better than I expected, but still, not exactly awe-inspiring.
Ah, skyway doing his cute "everyone is a poseur except me" routine. Then he saunters off to hug his Knights of the Old Republic box.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
You didn't get the memo? Pool of Radiance is from the 80s, that just confirms that he's a hideous lying poser who just plays Gears of War all day or doesn't really like his favourite games or something.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
J_C said:
I LIKED ALPHA PROTOCOL THIS MUCH

chineseyeeahh.png

I love you for making this, JoKa.

Black Cat

Magister
Wyrmlord said:
Surprisingly enough, this awful idea DID NOT MAKE IT INTO THE FINAL GAME. Only Eliza Cassan is seen wearing all that kind of fashion clothing. Thank GOODNESS for that. Most people wear normal everyday clothing.

They actually aren't. While it may be difficult to notice for people without a good deal of interest in fashion trends the clothes aren't similar to normal clothes at all: They follow some of the same basic ideas to create a sense of familiarity and some general recognition of social status and context based on it but the design choices, the combinations, the shapes, and the lines are all wrong. It hurts the eye if you have an interest in such thingies, and creates a slight feeling of disorientation and there's something wrong in here whose reasons you may need a good deal of time to actually become able to pinpoint.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
holy shit I must say the graphics in this game made me think my video card was malfunctioning and the voice acting is shitty in a bad way

Is the "high" AA option 16x? How bad are 4:3 monitor support or AF in this game? There's something pretty off, and I am already halfway through the first mission btw

There is some serious blurring and maybe even pixellization

at least on batman AA I knew exactly when the blurring would happen, this game seriously reminds me of that game, which I was hoping it was a better(more stealth focused and less goofy) version of that shitty ps2 batman game which you could mostly go undetected... so far it isn't, but it was oddly nostalgic :thumbsup:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Okay, one thing at a time.

Mabeiro, Human Revolution looks pretty ugly on most screenshots I have seen posted on the Codex, and I was shocked by how much uglier Baronjohn's screens of Human Revolution looked in his Let's Play.

Strangely enough, it doesn't look like that on my rig. It's probably because my brother insisted on upgrading it very high, in order to play the highly unoptimized GTA4. So Human Revolution does look as gorgeous as it was supposed to on my rig, to the point that the Square Enix cinematic quality closely mirrors the actual game.

Second thing. I didn't intend this thread to become a Skyway bitch-fest, because his complaint about the forced limitation into the bad stealth and the cover-based shooting seems legitimate to any first-time player. It's just that you need full Cybernetic Arm, Aim Stabilizer, and Dermal Armor augmentations, much the way you needed Advanced or Master skills in weapons to use them comfortably in the original Deus Ex.

Lastly, J. E. Sawyer's personal tastes are irrelevant to the kind of games he produces, because those things tend to be a disconnect a lot of the time. Leave aside talks of Fallout 3 or New Vegas. One doesn't doubt that the makers of Fallout 2 played Fallout, but it still did not stop even them from making an inexcusable mistake of letting FEV mutants remain in the game long after FEV vats were destroyed. They kept super mutants still wandering California, not because they fit in a timeline 80 years after the Master, but probably because they were cool. Ironically, the makers of Human Revolution, who were likely less of Deus Ex fanboys than Fallout 2's makers were Fallout fanboys, made sure to pay greater attention to such nuances.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
JES said:
Well, as fate had it, I wound up working on the original Icewind Dale. I wasn't particularly thrilled with how my work on it came out but hey -- one step closer to Fallout 3, man. I then did some work on Heart of Winter, and that managed to actually be worse than my Icewind Dale stuff. Icewind Dale II came out better than I expected, but still, not exactly awe-inspiring.

Wonder what he means with that.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS NOW I9 AM GETTING ANGRY SKYWAY IS A BRO N OT A DOGFUCKER

BROS I HAD THIS BUDDY IN COLLEGE THAT WAS A LITTLE MENTALLY ILL AND USUALLY JUST MILDLY QUIRKY BUT SOMETIMES HE WOULD LOSE HIS BRIANS AND ONE TIME I GOT HIM SOME BOONES FARM AN D HE GOT REALLY QUIET FOR A WHILE THEN STOOD UP OUT OF NOWHERE AND STARTED YELLING AND DOING KARATE MOVES HE WENT TO A PARTY LATER THAT NIGHT AND GOT PUNCHED IN THE FACE FOR GRABBING SOME GIRLS ASS

ANYWAYS HE IS LIKE SKYWAYS AD THIS BRO ENDED UP BECOMING A POLICEMAN THEN A DOCTOR

Destroid

Arcane
What would possess someone to decide that boss fights of all things should be outsourced? It's not like Eidos Montreal was a small studio with a lack of staff.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Wyrmlord said:
Okay, one thing at a time.

Mabeiro, Human Revolution looks pretty ugly on most screenshots I have seen posted on the Codex, and I was shocked by how much uglier Baronjohn's screens of Human Revolution looked in his Let's Play.

Strangely enough, it doesn't look like that on my rig. It's probably because my brother insisted on upgrading it very high, in order to play the highly unoptimized GTA4. So Human Revolution does look as gorgeous as it was supposed to on my rig, to the point that the Square Enix cinematic quality closely mirrors the actual game.

Is this a(nother?) attempt at trolling? The NPC's look like they were ported from fallout 3 and the "more generic" pre-rendered cutscenes ALSO look like shit, they're not even necessary half of the time from what I've seen(haven't played very much though)

I have all shit but the resolution maxed... Whoever released the version I'm using lowered generic cutscene video quality, however it doesn't look like they could or would fuck up the graphics somehwo, I do remember pre-release videos looking a lot better though

Also I gotta parrot the claimsthat the voice acting is bad. Holy shit.

The AI doesn't look bad though, I was fucking with the swat guys in the first levels and they apparently actually split up and tried to corner me and they actually can pursue hyou and call reinforcements, apparently, which is good. Unfortunately that probably won't be happening much or isn't supposed to happen in theory, kind of like with half life 2 and fear respectively.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It must be. I'm on a very high end rig running DXHR at highest settings (minus DX11) and it looks pretty bad... I refuse to believe DX11 does that much.

Grunker said:
It must be. I'm on a very high end rig running DXHR at highest settings (minus DX11) and it looks pretty bad... I refuse to believe DX11 does that much.

Either you dig the graphics style or you don't. I play without DX11 settings (my card has only dx10) and game is very aesthetically pleasing to me.
Calling it actually "ugly" is a fucking stretch though, stop it kids.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I said pretty bad... And I honestly think it does. The animations are jerky and people are way deep down in uncanny valley :)

Ed123 said:
Multidirectional, post screenshots from your steam overlay.

Steam over..what? Anyway, I can post some fraps screens if that suits you. Not that it'll change minds of people who find this game visually displeasing. Keep in mind that it's in 1360x768 though, I play on TV but I guess this resolution would look pretty jagged on monitors.

34qnxbt.jpg

abrwqv.jpg

30ru39l.jpg

14k9nki.jpg

sbu2q0.jpg

rw8mz9.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Multidirectional said:
Grunker said:

Either you dig the graphics style or you don't. I play without DX11 settings (my card has only dx10) and game is very aesthetically pleasing to me.
Calling it actually "ugly" is a fucking stretch though, stop it kids.
Codex only knows 2 kinds of graphic quality.
1. OMG this is the greatest thing I've ever seen. Top quality textrues, modells, animation.
2. Fucking ugly.
:M
I think the game looks good visually with or without DX11. Except the face modells, those look pretty plastic to me.

J_C said:
I think the game looks good visually with or without DX11. Except the face modells, those look pretty plastic to me.

Some of them look good, but they are pretty awkwardly animated in dialogues. But fuck that, I realise these kind of animations cost fuckload of time and resources and I'm fine with them not wasting it on that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom