Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics This is the Police 2 - now with turn-based tactics

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
This is also how the investigation worked in the 1st one. You can always load previous day.

Overall - I find this one easier, mostly due to elimination of RNG bullshit (in 1st you really did not have much to say in cop missions and often they just died or injured themselves at random). The mistakes finally feel like my own mistakes.

Hellion

Arcane
I really wish there was an RP option to have Jack Boyd yell "SHUT UP ALREADY" and leave during some conversations/cutscenes. There have been at least 4 occasions so far where Jack just sits there stuttering like a retard while some random smug idiot starts ranting on and on about how Jack is an idiot or Jack is screwed or whatever.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah. Jack needs to stutter less, especially in the "endgame".

Some dialogues should've been trimmed a lot, way too many characters ramble incessantly.

Managed to power through the game today, was pretty solid all in all. Really surprised of how good the the tactical combat was. Even though it was less of combat and more of puzzle for the main part.

Definitely could play a third game in this series, though the ending is a bit... well, it ties off almost all of the "loose ends" in rather permanent manner.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
The tactical part is definitely what was missing from the 1st. Along with more skill cyoa based police calls instead of being dicked by RNG all the time.

Also finished, boy Jack in 2 is much, much more corrupt and rotten than in 1. Good.

Played it for a bit, I guess it was okay-ish. I love me some CYOAs, management games, noir atmosphere and all that jazz, but this game is very barebones in almost all of its systems and writing is pretty awful. Feels like a fairly decent foundation for a game, but not a finished product. It would be perfect for mobile platforms tbh.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And meanwhile there are people on Steam forums complaining that it is too complicated now.

It is a solid game for a tenner, nothing more, nothing less. Then only thing I'd wish is that the story reacted more on how you actually perform in the game.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The stuff in this thread seemed interesting, so I checked out a video of somebody playing it, and I was curious how much of this game is cutscenes. About 40 minutes into the video, the only gameplay stuff I had seen was the tutorial about combat and maybe if you count answering a few questions that seemed like character creation. At one point, the first mission pops up and he has to pick two guys totaling 600 points, so he picks his two people, and I think stuff is about to happen, but it's just more cutscenes where a cop is threatening some drunk old dude in a cabin.

I guess my question is, does the game ever pick up or is it mostly cutscenes throughout the whole game?

The stuff in this thread seemed interesting, so I checked out a video of somebody playing it, and I was curious how much of this game is cutscenes. About 40 minutes into the video, the only gameplay stuff I had seen was the tutorial about combat and maybe if you count answering a few questions that seemed like character creation. At one point, the first mission pops up and he has to pick two guys totaling 600 points, so he picks his two people, and I think stuff is about to happen, but it's just more cutscenes where a cop is threatening some drunk old dude in a cabin.

I guess my question is, does the game ever pick up or is it mostly cutscenes throughout the whole game?

There's a cutscene every other day, but most of the time you'll spend on managing your troops and doing CYOA parts, with an occasional tactical mission in-between.

Got bored and left

I'm not all that far in, but the very beginning is disproportionately cutscene-heavy - the later ones seem to be much shorter, so it's not just a movie with occasional clicking. I don't blame you for having concerns, though. Ten minutes in, I thought the game was approaching Metal Gear levels of cutscene bullshit :D

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Replaying the 1 now.. And it makes me hope for a 3rd part.

1st has much better story overall imho (2nd is cool, but someone got way too impressed with Taranito-like dialogues), but 2nd improved the gameplay significantly. If we could get a fusion of both it would be an awesome thing.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, no handholding here.

Played through a day, did really well, was gonna rally my men for a tactical assault at the end of the day but one of my units was 1 second too late in getting back to HQ so they couldn't go. So I had to send 3 men against 11 perps. With a bomb timer. After three tries at the tac mission (you can restart a tac mission without starting the whole day over, which is nice) I gave it up as impossible. So I did end up restarting the entire day.

:incline:
Ugh, I'm at that point right now and I really hate this mission. Restarted it 3 times and I still can't get it right, perps everywhere, it's like an anthill.
:0-13:

I think I should cut the ninja crap and pump these motherfuckers full of lead. Who cares if they are not exactly evil, they shoot on sight and the game wants me to stab people left and right anyway so fuck morals.
:imperialscum:

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Not lead, but ninja them with knife. Grab the patience perk and you'll ez stabmurder everyone. You can clear entire rooms if you have tasers on your guys. Walk in, stab the closest guy and taser the guy further away. Rinse and repeat as many times as you have to.

Incidentally, there are some tags for the officers in the game files that indicate that there should be some consequences for some things...

watchedsuspectdie
watchedofficerdie

etc.

Anyone managed to trigger those?

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Well, fourth time is the charm, I finally finished that first bomb mission successfully. All four officers wounded but who cares, the next day they were all miraculously healed. ^^
And the best part is that I didn't kill anyone, I shot 4 of those fuckers in the stomach, real O. K. Corral style. There were still 3 more left standing but my Int 3 officer dragged his wounded ass over to that bomb and disarmed it, ending the mission and earning me 90 of these thingies that you can trade for new recruits and equipment.
Still way too random, I need to get better at this.

Jack Boyd seems to be a crook, he's gradually changing from good cop to bad cop. I don't particularly like it.
Loved the Police Quest games back in the day, including all the proper procedure stuff and the goody two shoes Sonny Bonds morals. This game doesn't seem like it's going in that direction which is a shame. A police simulation is fun in itself, no need for edgy grimdark stories where the cops are corrupt too.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ugh, I'm at that point right now and I really hate this mission. Restarted it 3 times and I still can't get it right, perps everywhere, it's like an anthill.
I think I should cut the ninja crap and pump these motherfuckers full of lead. Who cares if they are not exactly evil, they shoot on sight and the game wants me to stab people left and right anyway so fuck morals.
Killing them all is absolutely viable. You have what, 13 turns to kill 11 guys? Very doable. Don't be surprised if you take casualties though.

I was able to ninja it because I was lucky enough to get the right men for the job.
A guy with 3 points in Stealth gets the "Ninja" perk which lets you take an extra action per turn, which is ridiculously strong. I also brought a negotiator along to delay the bomb by several extra turns. My ninja ran towards the bomb while the rest of my crew were picking off guys one by one with nightstick + interrogation so I could see where the bad guys were most of the time. Ninja also had the Shadow perk which lets you walk right past guys for the cost of 1 action. That still left him 2 actions per turn to run towards the objective. I made it with hours to spare.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Ah, I finally get what that shadow perk is for. Running past guards instead of knocking them out didn't even occur to me, thx.

I'm firing people left and right btw, and I also refused to pay some widow 2k bucks as a reward for insulting me.
Fuck her and her demon spawn, her KIA husband is a hero now, she should be honored. :smug:
That old Climsy bum got the 2.8K dorrahs he demanded after there was a fire at his house because I refused to let someone look after it though. He has useful skills and is loyal, also this game fucked with me in his case thanks to some absolutely nonsensical and unlikely chain of events that sounded like made up stories after the third one. Even if they weren't, I'm his fucking employer and not his nanny so I don't want to hear about private shit 4 times a day and if he can't get his life in order without the help of half of my department then he should go see a doctor and get a disabled certificate or something.
I hope there aren't more events like that, where you can't even use basic logic and common sense to tell who's lying.

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Ninja perk is boss. Extra action before being discovered is unparalleled to anything else in game.

You can actually be very ninja with 2 cops like that, one runs 1 action to perp, nightstick in the face, runs along to next cover. Second cop runs up, arrests the guy, runs along to the cover.

Also stealth happens to be often a good option in calls (aside from giving this perk and silent shot perk which is a great "oh shit" option without breaking stealth) so pumping stealth 3 in this game should be a priority.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Tried playing it, what the fuck is with all the cut-scenes? There's like 15 minutes of them at the start. Am I missing something here or this is now VisualNovelCodex?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom