Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is the worst console generation of all time

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Like what?
inb4 ultra popamole trash
No way to answer this because you retards consider everything that uses a controller popamole trash. It must be hard to breathe when you have shit for brains.

thesoup

Arcane
Honestly, ps2 was shit. It just had such a massive library of games that some just had to be good by pure statistical probability. And no one remembers the shitty games, especially with time.

True story about consoles.

Back when I was bar mitzvahed, I was given a few hundred from my gift money to get myself a little something. So the choice was down to the original Playstation, a powerhouse with a library that almost guaranteed Sony would still be putting out Playstation-brand consoles to this day and the Sega Saturn, a console eight people bought.

I chose the Sega Saturn.

I needed a really great game to play on my Saturn, so the obvious choice at the time was Tomb Raider, one of the biggest titles ever and a bonafide franchise-starter, or Tunnel B-1.

I chose Tunnel B-1.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Nothing much to be excited about with the current crop of consoles outside of a handful of upcoming titles, up-ports of previous gen games, and mediocre unmodifiable versions of every game that comes out for everything anyway (except the WiiU, which just has the handful of interesting games minus the ports).

I was genuinely surprised these new consoles were apparently selling well, because even now two years later there's barely anything worth giving a shit about that isn't also playable on PC or even the previous consoles. Also, at launch they were basically mid-tier PCs with closed down OS sold for profit; two years on and now they're barely scraping by running some games at sub-HD resolutions. Still, people are buying them, so what do I know?

I might grab a WiiU on sale at some point, even though it's moribund. Otherwise, my backlog is more than long enough to carry me until something interesting happens.

Telengard

Arcane
Consoles still have the advantage of being a safe, easily-implemented solution for parents to give to kids*. Consoles can still function without an internet connection**, games come fully playable on disk out of the box (thus meaning the parent doesn't have to spend valuable time making them work), many console games are simple enough for little kids to play (and thus don't need a lot of help from a parent), and a parent can find games that they deem to have "safe" content with only minimal research.

Until those advantages are fully eclipsed by another device, consoles will remain popular amongst a certain large demographic.

*If the companies eventually have their way with always online and games partly in the cloud, this will soon stop being the case.

**Mostly

GrainWetski

Arcane
It has as many worthwhile exclusives games(2 or so) as the previous generation did at the same point(as far as I can remember). The biggest problem is the massive number of sequels and "definitive editions". A trend that I expect to only increase in popularity. Can't say there are many upcoming exclusives that are too compelling, either.

All in all, I still find it hard to believe it can beat the previous generation. The PS3Shitty shall forever be known as the console generation that killed the FPS genre. Quite the feat.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Maybe, but it's not that bad. The Xbox so far hasn't been getting anything, so I don't have to worry about another Lost Odyssey. The PS4 is getting cheaper, with only better games coming in the future, so procrastinating is probably the best thing I've done at this point.

The Wii U has a small but solid-to-great package of titles, provided you can deal with the 40 dollar average per game, which includes some of Platinum's and Nintendo's finest without annoying waggle. The 3DS and Vita have plenty of quality dungeon crawlers between the two of them, as well as more lesser known games that I would've had my doubts on ever being brought over here just a few years ago.

Yeah, we'll never get another SNES or PS2, but there's a decent amount of genuinely good games coming out.

All in all, I still find it hard to believe it can beat the previous generation. The PS3Shitty shall forever be known as the console generation that killed the FPS genre. Quite the feat.

Wait, what, how? If anything, I thought people (well, PC users) put most of the blame on the Xbox for killing FPS's (as well as cRPGs).

I don't regret my Wii U purchase in the least. I might feel differently if I didn't have a gaming PC to back up its sparse library, though.

The other consoles are just too lacking in variety right now. There were plenty of good games on the 360 even if you weren't a big FPS fan. Killed plenty of hours playing Catherine, Soul Calibur, Omega 5 or Contra Hard Corps. There's nothing on today's systems that I give two shits about tbh.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Wait, what, how? If anything, I thought people (well, PC users) put most of the blame on the Xbox for killing FPS's (as well as cRPGs).
Just like many competitive games, the killing blow is all that matters.

Machocruz

Arcane
There wasn't anything worthwhile on PS3 until 2008, 2 years after launch, and only 2 games. PS4 has Bloodborne and Dragon Quest Heroes, I guess. And a bunch of stuff that is better on PC. I would mention Wii U games, but I can only handle so many edgy responses per day.

Sul

Savant
Consoles are dead. Xbone, PS4 and Nintendo NX will be the last of its kind. If anything comes after it'll not follow the current console model (a box mad of plastic that plays disc-based games in the living room).
Just look at the current scenario. What you have on consoles is either AAA garbage made by bloated developers teams composed of a few hipsters lead designers and a few hundred Asian code monkeys that loses steam after every yearly iteration, or retro indie shit that find it way into the console online marketplace. The good developers, with mid-tier budgets, are either on PC or Nintendo 3DS.

Last edited:
Nah, console memory is better than the last two and game reviewers are no longer handing out top scores to games simply for having a large marketing budget.

As for game quality, it always takes a few years for developers to adjust to new hardware to make the most of it.

Also the 1st console generation since PS1 to not have the advantage of PC developers falling over themselves to bring simplified versions of established PC franchises to console. Plenty of good developers making exclusively for PC these days.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just like many competitive games, the killing blow is all that matters.

The killing blow was Microsoft creating a console, leading to The Great PC Developer Exodus.

Before then, consoles and personal computers existed in relative harmony. Halo predates whatever PS3 title you're thinking about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom