Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware This largely forgotten 1982 Prohibition-era RPG was one of the most advanced RPGs of its time

Codex Year of the Donut
Gang-Busters-TSR7009-Core-Rulebook-1e.jpg

Been chewing on this one for a while now and I'm surprised at how I've never once seen it brought up anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangbusters_(role-playing_game)
Context: It's four more years until GURPS sees a first edition release. 3 more years until Oriental Adventures(NWPs!) & Unearthed Arcana for AD&D.
Was Gangbusters the source for a lot of their content? ...Maybe! But I find the rules rather advanced for the time period either way.

Selection-036.jpg

Selection-037.jpg

Selection-038.jpg

Selection-039.jpg

Selection-040.jpg

The book includes descriptions for all the skills, I won't include it to keep this brief.
Selection-041.jpg

Pages upon pages of possible careers and descriptions, ranging from paperboys to FBI agents and gang bosses.
Selection-042.jpg

Crime rules
Selection-043.jpg

Selection-044.jpg

How to operate a prohibition-era bar
Selection-045.jpg

Rules for NPCs
Selection-046.jpg

Selection-047.jpg

various special rules
Selection-048.jpg

rules on how to get a loan
Selection-049.jpg

legal system rules
Selection-050.jpg

Selection-051.jpg

optional expert rules
Selection-052.jpg

Selection-053.jpg

Wow is it a lot of content packed into 64 pages.

Victor1234

Educated
Wow! Is there any more we can see? I must've played every single PC game there is with the Prohibition theme and I haven't seen any with mechanics that go even half as deep as this one. Even the little details like having bond be a thing in the legal system are something you never see in other games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom