Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts on Bethesda

• Thread starter User was nabbed fit
  • Start date

Black Cat

Magister
Melissan said:
Did they do it to you too when you started posting? How did you last that long?

I didn't. I broke down twice, or maybe it was actually thrice. However, as long as you don't take it too seriously this place can show you quite some things about yourself that would never come out in a normal and healthy enviroment, nor in a more formal and structured social context. If you are into introspection it's kind of useful, at least.

And some of those jerks are actually kind of charming and nice when you get to know them. It's a shame this place's general style kind of kills any chance of actually becoming friends with them.

Crooked Bee said:
Azrael's Tear.

Is he ever going to finish this LP or did he abandon it for good?

Azrael's Tear is one of the best games ever made, and one of the most monocled ones. Codexia's claim to elitism is baseless until a Let's Play of it has been completed.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
You actually got picked on for no real reason, too, so it's not really comparable to this hilarious clash of entitlement complexes. I'll say one thing about this episode, it provided a perfect character for a "Three Faces of Eve" style concept I'm thinking of running with for the Prosper comic (starting soonish, I promise).

Almost certain the LP was just to set up his new identity as legitimate before he started his usual anti-tranny crusade, but when he did he could only maintain his cover for about a week before he went crazy again. I think he's banned now, so it's probably down to someone else to pick it up.

DraQ

Arcane
Black Cat said:
Azrael's Tear is one of the best games ever made, and one of the most monocled ones. Codexia's claim to elitism is baseless until a Let's Play of it has been completed.
The ending is kind of shit, though.

Why don't you make an LP? It'd satisfy your requirement for codexian monocleiness, though, of course, getting someone to do a blind LP would be better.

Data4

Arcane
Melissan said:
Jaesun said:
DragoFireheart said:
Melissan said:
You want me to stop saying that I'm girl? Stop treating me like one! That's all I'm asking for.

Fuck no. You love the attention like any other woman. If that were false, you would have made no mention of your gender.

Now post some sexy pics of yourself and get over the denial.

Can you take your shit posts and go elsewhere, this isn't GD.
Thanks for standing up for me, Jason.

:love:

I know you've been put on the defensive by a bunch of blithering asshats, but that's... I dunno, kind of what we are around here. We do have some really good discussions though, and a lot of what your facing is sort of a trial by fire.

Here's a classic example of what happens once you get past the Codex newbie initiation: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/posting.php?mode=quote&p=1625716

See? We're assholes, but like Sears, we have a softer side. :) And if anyone has failed to actually say it, welcome to the RPG Codex! Grab a virtual beer and just relax! ^_^

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Black Cat said:
Crooked Bee said:
Azrael's Tear.

Is he ever going to finish this LP or did he abandon it for good?

I'm afraid he won't. He's probably IP banned.

Which means, why don't you complete it? :roll: That'd be awesome. Or start a new LP, yay.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
DraQ said:
oneself said:
There is no derived statistics for Skyrims then?
Nope, there's just nothing to derive them from.

Considering that it's Bethesda and they continue to remove anything that is character skill related, the attributes have become extremely pointless. No longer will your character have a stat to show how well they dodge or their ability to be charismatic with people: just skills (did they even keep Speech?) and the three dynamic stats (health, magicka and stamina). How well you dodge is based on the players leet FPS skills of making figure-8s or back-peddling or what have you (supposedly they nerfed the backpeddling, but 1337 FPS gamers will be able to compensate for that). In all honesty RPG Codex should NOT allow topics on Skyrim in the General RPG discussion as it is no longer an RPG. Skyrim more akin to being a first-person (with shitty 3rd-person camera) Grand Theft Auto with a medieval fantasy mod.

I for one have high hopes for this Grand Theft Wizards and Warriors, but RPG? No, that fate was started back in Morrowind and was completed with Oblivion.

Melissan

Educated
Data4 said:
Melissan said:
Jaesun said:
DragoFireheart said:
Melissan said:
You want me to stop saying that I'm girl? Stop treating me like one! That's all I'm asking for.

Fuck no. You love the attention like any other woman. If that were false, you would have made no mention of your gender.

I know you've been put on the defensive by a bunch of blithering asshats, but that's... I dunno, kind of what we are around here.
Why? Why do you think it's funny to bully someone who's new? Instead of making new members feel welcome and safe you attack them until they are forced to leave. If you don't want any new people why do you even let them register?

Here's a classic example of what happens once you get past the Codex newbie initiation: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/posting.php?mode=quote&p=1625716
I hope that's you after your Codex initiation.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Black Cat said:
And some of those jerks are actually kind of charming and nice when you get to know them. It's a shame this place's general style kind of kills any chance of actually becoming friends with them.

ferret.gif

DraQ

Arcane
DragoFireheart said:
DraQ said:
oneself said:
There is no derived statistics for Skyrims then?
Nope, there's just nothing to derive them from.

Considering that it's Bethesda and they continue to remove anything that is character skill related, the attributes have become extremely pointless. No longer will your character have a stat to show how well they dodge or their ability to be charismatic with people: just skills (did they even keep Speech?) and the three dynamic stats (health, magicka and stamina).
And that's their folly - you don't need to make your game less of an RPG to make it better shooter, slasher or whatever is it you want.

You just need to make the stats effect more atomic parts of your game so that they are stiull in effect despite player having more direct control over his character.
For example - agility may no longer affect attack or dodge rolls as they are absent, but having it affect character ability to move, stop and change direction suddenly, attack latency and recovery, block latency and recovery, jumping, fall resistance, stagger and knockdown resistance and so on will have just the same overall effect.

Other parts like scripted skill checks are not in any way affected by and do not in any way affect action mechanics, so their removal or addition doesn't make the action part in the slightest bit better or worse.

Andhaira

Arcane
Melissan said:

:lol:

Anyhow, Melissan welcome to the Codex. Please do stay, at least until Skyrium is released. We could use your views on the game.

I too am looking forward to seeing Skyrim released, as I have heard that it will be closer to Morrowind rather than Oblivion. I think it will be a good game.

DragoFireheart

DraQ said:
And that's their folly - you don't need to make your game less of an RPG to make it better shooter, slasher or whatever is it you want.

You just need to make the stats effect more atomic parts of your game so that they are stiull in effect despite player having more direct control over his character.
For example - agility may no longer affect attack or dodge rolls as they are absent, but having it affect character ability to move, stop and change direction suddenly, attack latency and recovery, block latency and recovery, jumping, fall resistance, stagger and knockdown resistance and so on will have just the same overall effect.

Other parts like scripted skill checks are not in any way affected by and do not in any way affect action mechanics, so their removal or addition doesn't make the action part in the slightest bit better or worse.

See, I watched the video on this site about Todd describing some of the things cut:

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=58725

He believes that things that just make your character move a little faster, jump higher, etc, don't add any meaningful function to the game. So, they got cut. Mysticism got cut and the spells left from that school were just merged into other spell schools because the school as a whole wasn't adding any meaningful function. In fact, I personally found the school as a whole to be useless whenever I played the game.

The only scripted skill checks that I remember meaning anything were silly things like needing a low personality for a Daedra quest. Morrowind had more skill checks but most of them were superfluous and no where near the level of real RPGs like Fallout or Planescape: Torment.

Bethesda clearly wants the player to have (literally) as much control over their character as possible.

Smiffy

Novice
AndhairaX said:
Anyhow, Melissan welcome to the Codex. Please do stay, at least until Skyrium is released. We could use your views on the game.
And what views could that be? "It looks good!". "It's fun!". "Stop not liking me!".
But doesn't matter anyway because: Melissan = Jaeson. Definitely.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Old news, but in case anyone missed it:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... houts.aspx

I love how they use the word "exhilarating" to describe a dragon-alphabet and corny word-combination epic spells, especially as they are made available to all kinds of player characters. Makes me think of Sony's E3 conference in 2006. Exhilarating and inspiring, all the way.

Also:

The new dragon shout system, and the language that supports it prove one thing without a doubt. Bethesda is crafting one of the most intricate video game worlds ever made. Layered on top of over 15 years of previous Elder Scrolls games, the land of Tamriel has a depth of fiction you’d be hard-pressed to find anywhere else but in the most elaborate and well-loved fantasy novels.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
@Black Cat:

I seem to recall there were plenty here who were being more than friendly towards you during your introductory thingies n' stuffies period, if not downright begging to get into your pants. If you "broke down" multiple times, it wasn't due to any inherent Codexian cruelty, as real and palpable as it may be. Rather, it was due to your, as is similar in Melissan's case, absence of yet having adapted to the realities of internet society in general.

To wit, I notice you simply don't do the thingies thing any more. And, you remain.

DraQ

Arcane
DragoFireheart said:
He believes that things that just make your character move a little faster, jump higher, etc, don't add any meaningful function to the game.
Only if moving a little faster doesn't make all the difference in hit-and-run, if jumping higher doesn't allow you to reach otherwise unreachable spots and use otherwise unusable routes and so on.
Nothing adds anything meaningful to the game if the game doesn't provide necessary opportunities.
So, they got cut. Mysticism got cut and the spells left from that school were just merged into other spell schools because the school as a whole wasn't adding any meaningful function. In fact, I personally found the school as a whole to be useless whenever I played the game.
That's because the game you were playing was Oblivion. If you remove all the interesting aspects (in this case spell effects) of a skill, it's going to suck - fact.

Data4

Arcane
Melissan said:
Data4 said:
Melissan said:
Jaesun said:
DragoFireheart said:
Melissan said:

I know you've been put on the defensive by a bunch of blithering asshats, but that's... I dunno, kind of what we are around here.
Why? Why do you think it's funny to bully someone who's new? Instead of making new members feel welcome and safe you attack them until they are forced to leave. If you don't want any new people why do you even let them register?

:lol: Okay, you got me there.

Alright, the reality of it is, there are so many places out there that slobber over mediocrity. Whether it's the official forums for particular games or places like Gamefaqs, it seems like critical thinking among the masses of dumbasses is completely absent. We don't fawn over the "new shit" like braindead Bethesda and Bioware fanboys, because we're cynical that with each new iteration of their franchises, the games are dumbed down to appeal to the lowest common denominator for the pure sake of sales.

The banner above says "doesn't scale to your level". While it's a dig at Bethesda's level scaling mechanic, it's also our way of saying "If you come here, you better harden the fuck up, because we'll show no quarter as we rip you and your shitty taste to hell and back."

We're not misogynists, but the female penchant for playing the martyr when being pressed from all sides doesn't play here. We also don't demand you like the same thing as everyone else, but if you make it public that you like what's generally considered a shit game here, be prepared to back it up with points and counterpoints, or just keep it to yourself.

We're not averse to new people joining. We're averse to new idiots joining. While we tend to toss out words like "newfag", or point out join dates when someone says something completely stupid, it's meant to say "You obviously don't know how things work around here." There have been some new people recently that are showing themselves to be quality posters, so it has nothing to do with being new or not. No one ever said new members were entitled to feel warm and safe. This isn't kindergarten. You want warm and safe, I suggest you go join the Bethesda forums and buddy up to Princess Stomper.

We're brutal, do not suffer fools, and have the most lax moderation on the net. That's why everyone who read that you'd reported a post probably soiled themselves from laughing so hard. The only moderation is the moving of stupid threads to Retardo Land and editing the posting of NSFW pictures without warning (not including hidden links, as that's a time-honored Codex tradition.)

And of course, the unofficial motto of the place, "Chances are that something you like sucks. Why? This is the RPG Codex."

Welcome to the jungle.

Melissan

Educated
Data4 said:
Melissan said:
Data4 said:
Melissan said:
Jaesun said:
DragoFireheart said:
Melissan said:

Alright, the reality of it is, there are so many places out there that slobber over mediocrity. Whether it's the official forums for particular games or places like Gamefaqs, it seems like critical thinking among the masses of dumbasses is completely absent. We don't fawn over the "new shit" like braindead Bethesda and Bioware fanboys, because we're cynical that with each new iteration of their franchises, the games are dumbed down to appeal to the lowest common denominator for the pure sake of sales.

The banner above says "doesn't scale to your level". While it's a dig at Bethesda's level scaling mechanic, it's also our way of saying "If you come here, you better harden the fuck up, because we'll show no quarter as we rip you and your shitty taste to hell and back."

We're not misogynists, but the female penchant for playing the martyr when being pressed from all sides doesn't play here. We also don't demand you like the same thing as everyone else, but if you make it public that you like what's generally considered a shit game here, be prepared to back it up with points and counterpoints, or just keep it to yourself.

We're not averse to new people joining. We're averse to new idiots joining. While we tend to toss out words like "newfag", or point out join dates when someone says something completely stupid, it's meant to say "You obviously don't know how things work around here." There have been some new people recently that are showing themselves to be quality posters, so it has nothing to do with being new or not. No one ever said new members were entitled to feel warm and safe. This isn't kindergarten. You want warm and safe, I suggest you go join the Bethesda forums and buddy up to Princess Stomper.

We're brutal, do not suffer fools, and have the most lax moderation on the net. That's why everyone who read that you'd reported a post probably soiled themselves from laughing so hard. The only moderation is the moving of stupid threads to Retardo Land and editing the posting of NSFW pictures without warning (not including hidden links, as that's a time-honored Codex tradition.)

And of course, the unofficial motto of the place, "Chances are that something you like sucks. Why? This is the RPG Codex."

Welcome to the jungle.
You know what, this is good, Data4. I've read it several times and I think I understand now. I'll use this motto as my new signature as I've learned this lesson the hard way. I'll never speak of what I like again, only of what I hate as the only comment that nobody had a problem with was about Dungeon Siege 3 looking stupid.

Every word I said was twisted out of context, from now on I'll be the one doing the twisting. Let's see how they like it.

DragoFireheart

Data4 said:
Melissan said:
Data4 said:
Melissan said:
Jaesun said:
DragoFireheart said:
Melissan said:

Welcome to the jungle.

CLAP.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom