Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sierra Thoughts on Shivers?

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Shivers was one of the first games I ever played and it's apparently a Myst clone (at least it was called like that).

You are trapped in the museum of the strange and unusual as a test of courage and who would have guessed: You find a lot of strange and unusual things in the musem.

Really great music, most of the graphics aged great (at least for a game from 1994 with a somewhat realistic approach) and I like most puzzles (some are a bit obtuse or ultra hard).

You can get the game on gog https://af.gog.com/game/shivers?as=1649904300

Intro (the trailer is an abomination)

Never played the second part but will somewhen in the future since it's also on gog now

shivers-screenshot

Last edited by a moderator:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I vaguely remember that Shivers 1 is less of a Myst clone and more of a 7th Guest clone, at least in the way each puzzle is connected (or not) to others and to the environment. I may be misremembering though, I finished the game when it came out and never replayed it. The combination of how the puzzles worked and hunting the spirits made the gameplay quite unique IMO.

I really really like Shivers 2. That one had a LOT of optional puzzles and content that fleshed out the story and the background. The structure was VERY tight but it was easy not to notice because it was so easy to miss some of the optional stuff. I didn't know it was also on GOG now, that's good, I think it was becoming more and more difficult to get running on modern OS.

Red Hexapus

Learned
Shivers is one of the first adventure games that I got on my PC (along with The Secret of Monkey Island) and I truly enjoy to this day even though I realize the Ixupi animations look really crappy and don't really fit the style of the game. The puzzles and music are nice though.

It's also possible to play it on Android nowadays if you'd like, just look up Windlenot Adventures (you need original CD files obviously)

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Yeah 100%, the Ixupi graphics really don't fit the game. I really liked the completely unnecessary 3D view of the vessels though. Heard from Windlenot Adventures but never tried it myself but point and click is generally a good fit for the phone. A good remaster would be great - but I shouldn't hope for that.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
the gog version ships also with scummvm

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom