Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts on the Risen trilogy?

Falksi

Arcane

• Risen 3 is shit as it loses all the funny dialogue and takes itself way to seriously, but forgets to improve the gameplay too.

It loses all the "funny" dialog.

I'd seriously struggle to think of any game which squeezes as much comical daftness into such a short space of time as Risen 2 does in the clip I posted.

First off it mocks black tribes as savages and women as subordinate slaves, then it mocks blacks bingo-bongo language, then it backs it all up with some great literal piss-taking.

What other game allows you to answer "I had to take a piss" when questioned about a delay. It's fucking grounded genius.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
What other game allows you to answer "I had to take a piss" when questioned about a delay. It's fucking grounded genius.

Except none of it was funny. It was try-hard funny, but was awkwardly executed, obvious, and lame. The only thing worse than games taking their silly stories too seriously, are game developers who think they are comedians trying to be "funny."

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
For anyone who's struggling with the micro-stuttering FPS try this:

Get the Threadracer program, ramp up everything except 1-2 cores, and then run the game hopefully in smoothness. For me it took a bit of an experimenting. 1 core left was totally smooth but sometimes when loading new areas the game dropped to like 5 FPS for few seconds. 2 cores left were almost smooth without any other problems. Maybe you'll need to experiement a bit with your rig as well.

Falksi

Arcane

Except none of it was funny. It was try-hard funny, but was awkwardly executed, obvious, and lame. The only thing worse than games taking their silly stories too seriously, are game developers who think they are comedians trying to be "funny."

Now you're the one having a laugh. Anyone who reckons that, in a 2012 SJW-rising era of PC righteousness, they "obviously" saw the protagonist telling the female companion to go cook him some snap, and then proceed on an "ungo bungo" underlying racism run is lying out their arse.

Some of the timing, and tone, is perfect. "I had to go take a piss" is delivered in the absolutely nob-on dry-honest/dishonest way it needs to be. The fact you even have the option to say that is brilliant.

You need a humour check dude.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

Now you're the one having a laugh. Anyone who reckons that, in a 2012 SJW-rising era of PC righteousness, they "obviously" saw the protagonist telling the female companion to go cook him some snap, and then proceed on an "ungo bungo" underlying racism run is lying out their arse.

Some of the timing, and tone, is perfect. "I had to go take a piss" is delivered in the absolutely nob-on dry-honest/dishonest way it needs to be. The fact you even have the option to say that is brilliant.

The only reason you all are claiming it's funny is because of the politics you're reading into. Or that's the impression I've gotten, given that you all keep bringing the politics you're reading into it up. You all sound like the sorts of dumbfucks who only find things you politically agree with funny.

Beans00

Augur
I played gothic/risen for the first time this year. I enjoyed G1/G2 but I don't consider them god tier games some people here do. G3 was mostly jank but I still beat it.

risen 1 is solid, if you liked G1/G2. Setting not as interesting but overall the same quality of game. If you didn't like G1/G2 don't bother.

risen 2 is dogshit. One of the worst games I've ever beaten.

risen 3 doesn't run well on my pc so I quit after like 30 mins. It seemed trash too.

Falksi

Arcane

The only reason you all are claiming it's funny is because of the politics you're reading into. Or that's the impression I've gotten, given that you all keep bringing the politics you're reading into it up. You all sound like the sorts of dumbfucks who only find things you politically agree with funny.

There's nothing political about the tone and the timing of the "take a piss" joke.

I've already said this, which makes me think you're not the most perceptive chap and thus why you're not able to pickup on the subtle brilliances in Risen 2's jokes.

Codex Year of the Donut

It's funny because it's funny.
The same reason everyone used to find this funny before people like you were determined to make everything unfunny:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

This is funny because it's perfectly executed, surprising, and dark as fuck in a non-chalant way. I'd never seen that clip before, but it reminds me of how Donald Duck could be at his most dickish.

I repeat, the above Risen clip was lame, amateurish, overly obvious in its humor, which makes it not funny. It has nothing to do with its politics.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Ok, the piss line is not particularly clever or anything. But don't tell me you did not appreciate dialogues with Jaffar. You had to. Yip yip!

Beans00

Augur

Pure retardation right there.

"I hated it. So I spent 20+ hours beating it"

Beans, you are one dumb cunt dude.

kuP46yh.png

Beat it in 16.7.

Not surprised a mongoloid like you took way longer to beat it. :P

honko

Educated

Aren't you that utter retard who likes Morrowind?

Then again, what else is to be expected from somebody from such an impoverished, rundown and downtrodden areas of our land...

Falksi

Arcane

Pure retardation right there.

"I hated it. So I spent 20+ hours beating it"

Beans, you are one dumb cunt dude.

kuP46yh.png

Beat it in 16.7.

Not surprised a mongoloid like you took way longer to beat it. :P

But like I said, I liked it. So I played it more, because I enjoyed it. Context Beans.

And you're still a fucking idiot sinking nearly 17 hours into a game you hate. And then posting a pic to prove it.

Ah, bless ya. We'll get you there kid.

Aren't you that utter retard who likes Morrowind?

Then again, what else is to be expected from somebody from such an impoverished, rundown and downtrodden areas of our land...

Well I can't defend Nottingham that's for sure :lol:, but Morrowind? Behave.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom