Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News THQ Nordic Showcase 2022: Gothic Remake and Jagged Alliance 3

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Alkimia Interactive; Gothic (THQ Nordic Remake); Haemimont Games; Jagged Alliance 3; THQ Nordic

In a break from the lull of an otherwise largely uneventful summer, THQ Nordic broadcast their second annual showcase event today. Among numerous games to make an appearance during the event was Alkimia Interactive's Gothic Remake, which you may recall entered production back in 2020. The developers promised to take criticisms of the game's original playable teaser into account, but it's hard to tell just how much has changed based on the new cinematic trailer, which takes us into the depths of the Old Mine. The next game to be presented was Haemimont Games' Jagged Alliance 3, making its first appearance since it was originally announced last September. For this title there was a proper gameplay trailer, and I must say it doesn't look bad at all. Will Bulgarians save Jagged Alliance?

Neither of these games has a launch date yet, but perhaps we'll learn more about them at Gamescom later this month.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, the visuals of the Gothic remake looks competently done, but the lack of gameplay videos don't inspire much confidence... Maybe a bit too "hi-def" and polished for my taste, but I guess they're targeting a newer generation. It's a bit on the generic side for me personally, and I'm perfectly fine with G2 level visuals if the game is otherwise good.

I just realised I can't be "objective" about remakes of this game anymore as I'm quite attached to the original blocky early 3D graphics. I don't really like the DX11 renderer for the same reason (ignoring the fact that it's buggy). Another thing, the Gothics will never be the same without Kai Rosenkrantz's excellent soundtrack, and I very much doubt that they will "license" it, modernise it or whatever. That guy has an instantly recognisable style and his music is a non-negotiable part of the "Gothic atmosphere" for me.

But no matter how it will turn out, I will play it. It will be an interesting or at least educational experience either way.

At least we can be sure that there will be meatbugs...

Alpharius

Scholar
A thousand assholes clench in premonition of butthurt that will be delivered to all Gothic enjoyers when this remake will be released.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't see a point of Gothic remake.
Unless they make it ultra-friendly for user-generated content and harness the energy of pure autism that keeps the originals alive to this day.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I utterly hate zoomed-in cameras in conjunction with 3D perspective. You just keep wasting time fiddling and adjusting the correct view rather than actually addressing the battlefield. It is no coincident that JA2 or Heroes 3 remain the unassailable crown jewels of the strategy genre; these games respected your attention, but these nuXCOM atrocities just want to simulate their glorious predecessors rather than trying to top it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I don't see a point of Gothic remake.
Unless they make it ultra-friendly for user-generated content and harness the energy of pure autism that keeps the originals alive to this day.
it's an Unreal Engine 4 game, so no.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
G1 trailer looks okay, but has no content. And since there is nothing new on how they wont do what they did with the "teaser" there is not much to hope for.
Still, maybe they will suprise me, who know, not expecting anything though.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hard to trust the G1 remake after the demo. All this shows is that they were able to make a somewhat similar replica of the Old Mine which isn't really an impressive feat. I still retain some hope that it is good because I'd rather have a fun game than a shit one, but everything we've seen so far has not given any reason to expect much out of this.

Paul_cz

Arcane
My hope for Gothic remake went up significantly after learning Enderal lead writer and designer is working on it.

But yeah they better get the original soundtrack (and expand it, ideally by Kai) or else.

Ruzen

Savant
JA3 looks ok.
Old features seem to be integrated into modern gaming expectations.
I hope they won't make the story too personal vendetta (but from the narrative girl it looks that way)
Hope there is a ton of difficulty customizations.

Shin

Cipher
As far as I can detect, units have unlimited magazines? It might be just the UI, but it would've been comforting to see '0/120' for instance (when you got 4 magazines) instead of '0/30' in the weapon slot.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
As far as I can detect, units have unlimited magazines? It might be just the UI, but it would've been comforting to see '0/120' for instance (when you got 4 magazines) instead of '0/30' in the weapon slot.
Well, I am guessing you are right. Buuuut it could be some other things as well, for instance the person making the trailer just used one magazine on the characters because he would find it (correctly) unimportant, it's just gamers pick up everything or you can only see the ammunition of the current magazine but not how many magazines you have, basically more "simulation".

Still you are most likely right, but we will see.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm so starved for anything new so these trailers look pretty good to me. I will probably have to eat it up later, but eh.

Modron

Arcane
Pros
Artillery
Not nuxcom 2 ap affair
Destructible Environments

Cons
Lower AP counts
Grid environment
Simple reaction fire system

Outlook
Mildly optimistic?

Tyrion8338

Novice
Well, the visuals of the Gothic remake looks competently done, but the lack of gameplay videos don't inspire much confidence... Maybe a bit too "hi-def" and polished for my taste, but I guess they're targeting a newer generation. It's a bit on the generic side for me personally, and I'm perfectly fine with G2 level visuals if the game is otherwise good.

I just realised I can't be "objective" about remakes of this game anymore as I'm quite attached to the original blocky early 3D graphics. I don't really like the DX11 renderer for the same reason (ignoring the fact that it's buggy). Another thing, the Gothics will never be the same without Kai Rosenkrantz's excellent soundtrack, and I very much doubt that they will "license" it, modernise it or whatever. That guy has an instantly recognisable style and his music is a non-negotiable part of the "Gothic atmosphere" for me.

But no matter how it will turn out, I will play it. It will be an interesting or at least educational experience either way.

At least we can be sure that there will be meatbugs...
Wow, you must have missed the playable demo of gothic remake then :D
Both games look quite promising and I enjoyed gothic remake demo.

BanEvader

I bet Lilura will get an aneurysm when she sees the JA3 trailer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom