Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News THQ Nordic want to remake Gothic, playable teaser released to owners of previous Piranha Bytes games

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Gothic (THQ Nordic Remake); THQ Nordic

THQ Nordic announced that they'd acquired Piranha Bytes and the Gothic IP back in May. While most people were thinking about the future of ELEX 2 under its new owners, it turns out they had additional plans. Namely, the development of a high fidelity remake of the original Gothic. However, it seems THQ aren't sure there's a market for it, so they've taken the unusual step of releasing a playable prototype on Steam to all owners of previous Piranha Bytes games. Note that the remake is not being developed by Piranha Bytes, but by a different THQ Nordic subsidiary in Barcelona. They've put together a trailer and comparison video for it, and the accompanying press release has the full details. I quote:

Barcelona, Spain / Vienna, Austria, December 13th, 2019 - „Welcome to the colony!“ – how is it possible that 18 years have passed since we first heard that phrase at the beginning of Gothic, the game that set a milestone in the history of German fantasy RPGs, such as Risen and Elex? Since then, we all have grown older, acquired some wrinkles, and are laughing at how we look in pictures from the early 2000s – or how games looked back then.

But, what if we could turn back time, take everything that was great almost 20 years ago, and put it in a beautiful modern look (let’s say powered by Unreal Engine 4) along with improving some things that were not that great, like the combat system, for example?

To find out what the true Gothic fanbase thinks of a modern remake of the cult classic RPG, THQ Nordic and it's new Spanish development team, THQ Nordic Barcelona, will start an experiment. Today, a free playable prototype (Gothic Playable Teaser) of what a new Gothic could look and feel like will appear in the Steam Library of everyone who owns a game from Piranha Bytes, be it Gothic 1-3, Risen 1-3, or ELEX. They can play the yet-untitled Gothic Remake project and roam around the Mining Colony of Khorinis. After that, THQ Nordic is eager to learn from the players through a survey following the completion of the prototype, whether and how it should proceed with the production of a full Gothic Remake, or leave the heritage and the great memories associated with it untouched.

You want to learn more about the Gothic Playable Teaser? Check the official website: www.gothic-game.com

FAQ

We know you must have a thousand questions– we’ll try to cover a few in this FAQ:

Q: Who is developing this project?
A: THQ Nordic Barcelona. You can find out more about the studio at www.thqnordicbarcelona.com (Hint: We are looking to grow our team)

Q: Is Piranha Bytes involved in the project?
A: No! Piranha Bytes is working hard on a different project, which will be announced in 2020.

Q: Wait, why can we only play two hours?
A: Because it’s just a prototype, done by a new small team in Barcelona and we wanted to do an unusual approach and give this into the hands of players early. What you are going to play is all we have to show you at the moment.

Q: Ok, got it. But if we want the full game, how long do we have to wait?
A: Quite some time. We will only start full production if the community demands a Gothic Remake. In order to do so, we will need to grow the development team and rebuild Gothic from scratch.

Q: This can become a remastered HD version of Gothic?
A: We’d like to call it a remake. We are using a completely new tech (Unreal Engine 4) and so basically nothing but the story, the setting, the atmosphere, the music and the world of Gothic will remain. The whole tech, all graphics, the sound, different systems will be recreated according to modern high quality standards.

Q: Can I buy the prototype?
A: Yes and no. Everyone who owns ANY game from Piranha Bytes will get it for free - so if you don't have either Gothic, Gothic 2, Gothic 3, Risen, Risen 2, Risen 3 or ELEX you can buy one of them now and the prototype is also yours.

Well, regardless of whether this goes anywhere and how it turns out, it's nice to have an ETA for the announcement of ELEX 2.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Wow.

The way original Gothics characterized the game world and told their stories was wonderfully understated, and the trailers make it look like it's unfortunately going to change. Still: I'll remain optimistic regarding the whole thing!

Also, ELEX 2 when

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah...the world doesn't need another remake. The original still functions as advertised, lost none of the original mood. Better graphics, worse music, and slick controls aren't going to sucker me in.

Obligatory oldfag reminiscence: Gothic 2 was the first time I had to upgrade my computer to play a game!

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also bet the combat won't be anywhere near as challenging as the original. My goodness, I had such a sense of accomplishment the first time I could actually handle an orc or heaven forbid a scavenger/snapper!!

Last edited:

Taurist

Scholar
Doesnt much need a remake. It already has a high quality graphix mod, and I think the 'wonky' controls and interface are fairly ciritcal to the experience as it is.

Darkzone

Arcane
I have Gothic 1, 2 and 3 on CD can i download it? [/joke]
Ok i'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
nHf2uO7.jpg

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Gothic is my fave game ever but this looks like shit.

Graphics have none of the charm, the original music can't ever be topped, and they're remaking the combat system? It's pointless. Worse, a stain on the franchise.

And wtf were they thinking making the main character Diego Dandelion?

Last edited:

Sinatar

Arbiter
What a disgrace this is.

I killed 3 wolves (at the same time!) with a broken sword, no armor and no training at all.

In a "Gothic" game. Give me a fucking break.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom