Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Thus Spoke Leonard Boyarsky

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Leonard Boyarsky; Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a href=http://www.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> posted <a href=http://www.vampirebloodlines.com>Bloodlines</a>' designer diary #3. So go ahead and click on this <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/preview_6085643.html>link</a> to see what <b>Leonard Boyarsky</b> has to say
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>You might ask, "Why a first-person RPG?" Well, after seeing Valve's Source engine in action, we felt there was no better way to really immerse players in the experience than to make it a first-person game. Not to mention that a lot of us here were big fans of Ultima Underworld, and this seemed like a chance to revisit the roots of today's RPGs.
<br>
<br>
Lastly, we've had to incorporate all those things that players need to be able to do in a role-playing game that aren't always standard in a first-person shooter, such as sneaking, a complex dialogue system, and, in our case, the whole system of vampire disciplines--the special powers that players will derive by joining one of many powerful vampire clans--available for them to use.</blockquote>
<br>
I really like that line about “the roots of today’s RPGs” Very smooth.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href=http://www.homelanfed.com>HomeLan</a>
<br>

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Looks like it could be the best Troika game yet.

As long as they keep the FPSesque combat to a reasonable level (as in controls not too difficult or... twitchy and an option to avoid preferably all of it).

triCritical

Erudite
I am not sold on this title yet.

BTW, FP? WTF? Does this mean there will not be a 3rd person mode a la Morrowind. This would really irk me because I can't stand looking through my chest and staring at my l33t BAZ000KA all the time.

Vault Dweller

Developer
There is still not enough info to draw any conclusion. It could go either way, but if they manage to do a solid dialogue system and throw in some choices here and there, I'd be happy. As far as FP goes, it's just a matter of taste. Looking at the gun could be as annoying as picking over your 3rd person shoulder. Feels like you are hiding behind your own back :)

Ask yourself this question: If you can't trust Troika, whom can you trust? :wink:

EEVIAC

Erudite
I'm curious - now that ToEE is done, can all the Troika principals work on this until its done? Otherwise I'll remain hopefull, but unconvinced. I seriously think they need it.

Lemon

Arcane
The level/art team from ToEE was probably shifted over while the coders start on the Gamma World or Wastland title.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
triCritical said:
I am not sold on this title yet.

BTW, FP? WTF? Does this mean there will not be a 3rd person mode a la Morrowind. This would really irk me because I can't stand looking through my chest and staring at my l33t BAZ000KA all the time.

Actually there is a 3rd person view in Bloodlines. I believe it's like Morrowind's third person view.

triCritical

Erudite
Sarkile said:
Actually there is a 3rd person view in Bloodlines. I believe it's like Morrowind's third person view.

That is great news, I hated playing MW in FP. I knew they had a 3rd person view in the beginning, i just know how things get removed to speed things along. Anybody know, when this title is supposed to be released?

Spazmo

Erudite
triCritical said:
That is great news, I hated playing MW in FP. I knew they had a 3rd person view in the beginning, i just know how things get removed to speed things along. Anybody know, when this title is supposed to be released?

I hated playing Morrowind period.

*rimshot*

As for Vampire's release date, that's a good question. GameSpot lists it at 6/14/2004, but I'm not sure of that. I don't think Valve would let Vampire come out before Half Life 2, and we all know how long Half Life 2 is going to take. I'm afraid that Vampire is going to get ganked by Half Life 2.

Ausir

Arcane
The new Troika game (the presumably post-apoc one) is neither Gamma World (which Tim Cain dislikes, as he has stated many times) nor Wasteland (which is being made by InXile).

I hope it's actually something original...

Vault Dweller

Developer
There were way too many things in MW that sucked ass, combat being numero uno following by the dumbed down char system, dialogues, guilds, etc. We had a good thread about it as I recall http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 23&start=0

Anyway, while I didn't like the game and never tried the expansions, I never had a problem with it being FP. It was very immersive, boring, but immersive. :) So if Troika does a good job with char development, dialogues, and choices, it's going to be a blast. Of course, I'd prefer an original sci-fi isometric game "Arcanum meets ToEE" style, but...

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Oh, I had no problems with it being FP either. I rather enjoyed walking through some of the environments, especially the snow laden forests in Bloodmoon. Nice stuff. Then again, I still think Daggerfall rocks, so it just goes to show I'm easily entertained. :P

I'm definitely gonna keep an open mind about the Vampire game, but only because Troika's doing it. I'm not a big fan of the Masquerade setting period, but I will definitely give this game a try. After all, I gave that dog of a game Redemption a go, so I owe it to Troika to give this one a gander as well.

EEVIAC

Erudite
The dialogue system killed MW for me. It was just so uninteresting that I never really found out much about the world, its people, or what I was meant to do. As important as combat is in an RPG (unfortunately) a good dialogue system is definately a close second. Not just for diplomatic solutions either. If I'm going to be forced to violence, at least give me suitably nasty dialogue options before I do it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Then again, I still think Daggerfall rocks, so it just goes to show I'm easily entertained. :P
It goes to show that you recognize a good game when you see one, citizen Otaku :)

EEVIAC said:
The dialogue system killed MW for me. It was just so uninteresting that I never really found out much about the world, its people, or what I was meant to do. As important as combat is in an RPG (unfortunately) a good dialogue system is definately a close second. Not just for diplomatic solutions either. If I'm going to be forced to violence, at least give me suitably nasty dialogue options before I do it.
I think they are equally important. Unfortunately in MW both sucked. There was no reason to strike a conversation and there was no reason to seek fights, it was boring, your combat skills were maxed already, and you had piles of loot all over [insert your place of residence]. If they designed some expert skills Wiz-style (power cast, eagle eye, etc) then you could at least develop something and it wouldn't be so boring.

Voss

Erudite
Except, in shadowrun it was quickly countered by being able to spend gobs of cash of alpha/beta ware, so you could pare your essence down to 0.0001 and still be fine.
And then add Biomods on top of that.

On the otherside, you had the Troll magicians with the endurance (or whatever) really cranked so they could avoid falling unconscious at the merest hint of a spell.
Assuming, of course, they weren't already pasted by someone with reflexes jacked to the max, since all you really needed was reflexes 3, and a bunch of points shoved into firearms and specialities in your hand-cannon of choice.

Shadowrun had some severe problems with munchkinism. And just plain broken rules.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
cyberpunk, not shadowrun... elves and ogres and dwarves should never, ever, ever be allowed in the same books as the ninja assault rifle and trauma team.

shadowrun can lick brahmin nuts with rash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom