Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Time for another fallout 3 discussion

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Not exactly, I argued that no one can grow crops cause it's a rocky wasteland, too many rocks to grow anything of size.
Have... have you ever been to the DC area? It's forests and swamps. As in, great land to grow crops in.
I obviously wasn't talking about actual DC, but the DC in fallout 3.
So let's get this straight, getting nuked 200 years ago would change forests and swamps into a rocky desert?

Okagron

Prophet
No, because failing a skill check to get the "perfect ending" does not hinder your progress, being decimated does.
It does hinder you if it's a specific item you want or any kind of specific reward, meaning you have to go out and level if you want that specific reward. Save and reloading is not the same as this and it will never be. Save and reloading is near instant, having to go out to level can literally be hours.

Not to mention if you want to get specific endings based on your character's personality, having not enough skill to pass checks can happen rather often.

deama

Prophet
Not exactly, I argued that no one can grow crops cause it's a rocky wasteland, too many rocks to grow anything of size.
Have... have you ever been to the DC area? It's forests and swamps. As in, great land to grow crops in.
I obviously wasn't talking about actual DC, but the DC in fallout 3.
So let's get this straight, getting nuked 200 years ago would change forests and swamps into a rocky desert?
Well idk, did anyone try to nuke a place with forests and swamps and it turned into a desert? I guess fallout's interpretation is yes?

if you decide to quit, the game implies that basically everyone will either die or become mutated to the point of monsters.
Except that water doesn't hold ionizing radiation very well and as such, over the course of 200 years, would have given much of it up to the soil, which can hold onto it extremely well. So the whole purifier is kinda pointless.
That's nitpicking, if you really wanna get into that, try and explain to me how 2 headed cows, deathclaws, a giant mutated tree, and ghouls happened in 200 years.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
2 headed cows,
We've seen things like this happen in actual irradiated places, although the offspring tend not to last long, but if a large enough number of them are born, then enough will survive imo into the next generation.
deathclaws
Deathclaws are indeed one thing that I find difficulty explaining. The main reason this is fine is that they aren't the entire conceit of the plot of F1, 2, and NV. As opposed to the water purifier of F3.
giant mutated tree
You mean how bethesda treated an already established character who wasn't a giant mutated tree?
iirc this was due to a radiation leak in one of the vaults that over time caused a massive mutation in the inhabitants, which is still pseudoscience, but at least they put in some modicum of thought to come up with a reasonable explanation.
Well idk, did anyone try to nuke a place with forests and swamps and it turned into a desert?
Well, considering Chernobyl is actually pretty fertile, with teeming wildlife not even 80 years later, as are Hiroshima and Nagasaki, although they are only as good as they used to be since they were in a mountainous region (Japan).
I guess fallout's interpretation is yes?
You mean Fallout 3's interpretation, since the lands are relatively good for growing everywhere else that was nuked according to every other fallout game.

Okagron

Prophet
DC not being in good shape to allow crops sounds awfully convenient when in pretty much every other Fallout game, even fucking 4, have crops. No, the only explanation is that Bethesda didn't give a shit for world building in Fallout 3. And chalking up this to the abstract like how Megaton has like 10 npcs in it when it reality it has much more is stupid.

Showing where people get their food is one of the things that you NEED to show to the player in the world. Dumping it in the abstract is idiotic and nonsensical.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Allow me to present my abstract game, wherein the game itself is an "abstraction" (ie, not shown due to a lack of creativity/effort):

Enjoy.

2house2fly

Magister
There's also the fact that the area is crawling with hostile wildlife. There's at least one post-war farm in the game, but all the inhabitants are dead

Cael

Arcane
The place is crawling with hostile wildlife, including big carnivores, but plants are all dead... Yeah, someone really thought that one through.

The whole Fallout post-apoc scenario is very 80s, because that is exactly what they thought would happen when the Cold War erupted into a brief but very HOT war. Then, Chernobyl happened and the theory started going pear-shaped. However, even today, we have fucktard greenies still bringing up the blasted wasteland scenario. The scenario is appealing because of how bad everything looked and how different it is to most people (except to us Australians; we just call it "home").

It is true to real science? All evidence says "No". Is it fun for a game? Yes, just like the Wild West is.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Watch The Road, in the event of a global nuclear war this is what would happen. Debris in the atmosphere blocks sun = plants die = wasteland. Chernobyl is not the result of a global scale nuclear war.

juliushorst

Literate
Here's why Fallout 3 is retarded:
- There is an old lady living in a nuclear wasteland full of raiders and mutants and without any steady source of food who only cares about her musical instrument.
- There is a retarded chick living in a nuclear wasteland full of raiders and mutants and without any steady source of food who doesn't know what sex is and only cares about collecting soda bottles.
- There is a group of brats living in a cave surrounded by nuclear wasteland full of raiders and mutants and without any steady source of food who hold a big supply of scare resource (clean water) and who weren't raided, murdered, raped or eaten.
- There is a group of tree-huggers living in a nuclear wasteland full of raiders and mutants and without any steady source of food who hold a big supply of scare resource (food) and who weren't raided, murdered, raped or eaten.
- There is a radio host living in a nuclear wasteland full of raiders and mutants and without any steady source of food who sits on his ass in his radio tower and somehow knows about everything happening in said wasteland.
- There is the last Brit on the planet living in a tower surrounded by nuclear wasteland full of raiders and mutants and without any steady source of food who only cares about his bedroom window view.
- There is a Twilight fanclub that is taken seriously by others.
- UFO started the great war.
- Being blown up by a nuclear explosion doesn't stop one from gathering data and finishing a book.
- The great McGuffin water filter could as well be built with sand and pebbles to almost the same effect.
- Nobody cares about food.
- Nobody cares about rebuilding civilization, folks just prefer to live in dumpsters.
- The only reasonable place to build a city is around an unexploded active nuke or in a sinking, corroded ship.
- It's possible to talk a computer into killing itself.

Cael

Arcane
Watch The Road, in the event of a global nuclear war this is what would happen. Debris in the atmosphere blocks sun = plants die = wasteland. Chernobyl is not the result of a global scale nuclear war.
Not really. Hiroshima and Nagasaki pointed out that most of the debris got rained back down pretty quickly. In fact, it was the black rain that was the scourge of those areas because they brought back down and concentrated the local radiation levels. But the runoffs meant that the ambient levels quickly went back to slightly above normal but not crazy psychotic bad like the asshole greenies claim. If you weren't caught in the rain, I won't say you'd be OK, but it isn't likely that you'd die a horrible choking death in an hour.

The TV series Jericho has a pretty good take on the global nuclear war scenario.

- There is a group of brats living in a cave surrounded by nuclear wasteland full of raiders and mutants and without any steady source of food who hold a big supply of scare resource (clean water) and who weren't raided, murdered, raped or eaten.

They eat the fungus that grows in the caves. But the fungus itself feeds on

strange meat

juliushorst

Literate
this is a good thing
Not with an easy speech check. If you can - using speech, science and some knowledge obtained during you quest - find some loop in the computer's logic and exploit this to make the computer abandon its goal or turn on the Enclave - it's good. If you pretty-please it into killing itself - it's retarded.

Catfish

Learned
Deathclaws are indeed one thing that I find difficulty explaining. The main reason this is fine is that they aren't the entire conceit of the plot of F1, 2, and NV. As opposed to the water purifier of F3.

Well, actually they are a genetic engineering project by US military, and iirc their final form as seen in the fallout games is a result of tampering by the Master. Which is extra funny in how the hell they ended up on the other side of the continent (spoilers: bethesda doesn't care about fallout lore).

Okagron

Prophet
Not with an easy speech check. If you can - using speech, science and some knowledge obtained during you quest - find some loop in the computer's logic and exploit this to make the computer abandon its goal or turn on the Enclave - it's good. If you pretty-please it into killing itself - it's retarded.
It's like they tried to do the same thing you can do with the Master in Fallout 1, but halfway through decided to half ass it and then just give up and make it stupid.

Getting the Master to give up on his plan is one of the coolest part of Fallout 1 and it rewards a player that went out of its way to do it.

Last edited:

juliushorst

Literate
Eden is exactly like Master - just made casual-friendly and super-low efford so that any half-wit can do it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
vLkPNb2.jpg

Falksi

Arcane
So, as someone who really enjoyed my first playthrough of Fallout 3 when it first came out, I've returned to it twice since and didn't enjoy either subsequent playthrough anywhere near as much. So the other night I thought I'd give it one more go for a laugh, and it came as no surprise that I found it pretty fucking dire.

The intro was fine, Megaton steady enough, but when I tried exploring off the beaten track is really was an empty, soulless desert of nothingness.

First time through I played it by the numbers, and when everything is fresh that's fine. However it's clearly the only way the game can be played, as trying to veer off that path just lead to nothing, literally nothing.

Will always have fond memories of that first time playing it, but you chaps are right, it's pretty wank.

Good path + Small guns + lockpicks + science + do every quest is the only way to play it. After that, it's falls super flat.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I want to point out one, the only one good quest in Fagout 3: Tenpenny Tower.

For those who didn't suffer through the game, I'll explain this short.

So, there's a tower, right in the wasteland. Tower is inhabited by clean, mostly white, rich people. Only people, niggers ghouls are not allowed.

And of course, right before the gates, there's a BLM activist ghoul who wants inside, but denied entrance.

You can choose sides. You can help the towers guards to solve their problem and just dispose of niggers ghouls. Bad, bad solution, gives you a bad karma and you will be derided by a real nigger who runs a propaganda media radiostation.

You can help niggers ghouls. Their leader doesn't hide his agenda: he wants all those white people dead, by arranging an attack of wild niggers feral ghouls into the tower.

Because it's Shittesda game, there's a compromise. It doesn't include jerking off in a tissue or eating grilled cheese of the radiator, but you can take a role of a true EU Commisar ambassador of multiculturalism and let niggers ghouls inside the tower, equal to other men. So you do that.

All are happy. Niggers Ghouls and people live together, multi-kulti triumphed over hatred and racism! Everyone is happy.

But no. If you visit the tower some time later you will find that all the white people were slaughtered and looted, and BLM activist ghoul leader explains that there was a little misunderstanding. Tower is nigger ghetto ghoul only now.

Why it's good?

- Ghoul leader, who wanted all white people killed didn't go full "I learned my lesson", but started as homicidal racist and ended unchanged, just using your character as a tool in the process.
- No clean "good" solution, you fuck up someone by choosing any of three solutions. No compromise. Niggers Ghouls and white people can't live together.
- THE ALLEGORY. IT'S VERY SUBTLE, IT CAN'T BE ANY MORE VEILED. IT'S ABOUT PONTE TOWER IN JOHANNESBURG, RIGHT?

Yeah, guys, I know that 2008 was a different time from now, but this is too much even by the standards of that time. How the hell did it pass? And who's the hero who wrote that?

Cael

Arcane
I want to point out one, the only one good quest in Fagout 3: Tenpenny Tower.

For those who didn't suffer through the game, I'll explain this short.

So, there's a tower, right in the wasteland. Tower is inhabited by clean, mostly white, rich people. Only people, niggers ghouls are not allowed.

And of course, right before the gates, there's a BLM activist ghoul who wants inside, but denied entrance.

You can choose sides. You can help the towers guards to solve their problem and just dispose of niggers ghouls. Bad, bad solution, gives you a bad karma and you will be derided by a real nigger who runs a propaganda media radiostation.

You can help niggers ghouls. Their leader doesn't hide his agenda: he wants all those white people dead, by arranging an attack of wild niggers feral ghouls into the tower.

Because it's Shittesda game, there's a compromise. It doesn't include jerking off in a tissue or eating grilled cheese of the radiator, but you can take a role of a true EU Commisar ambassador of multiculturalism and let niggers ghouls inside the tower, equal to other men. So you do that.

All are happy. Niggers Ghouls and people live together, multi-kulti triumphed over hatred and racism! Everyone is happy.

But no. If you visit the tower some time later you will find that all the white people were slaughtered and looted, and BLM activist ghoul leader explains that there was a little misunderstanding. Tower is nigger ghetto ghoul only now.

Why it's good?

- Ghoul leader, who wanted all white people killed didn't go full "I learned my lesson", but started as homicidal racist and ended unchanged, just using your character as a tool in the process.
- No clean "good" solution, you fuck up someone by choosing any of three solutions. No compromise. Niggers Ghouls and white people can't live together.
- THE ALLEGORY. IT'S VERY SUBTLE, IT CAN'T BE ANY MORE VEILED. IT'S ABOUT PONTE TOWER IN JOHANNESBURG, RIGHT?

Yeah, guys, I know that 2008 was a different time from now, but this is too much even by the standards of that time. How the hell did it pass? And who's the hero who wrote that?
From a burnlootmurderer point of view, that is the exact thing that should happen. You either help them genocide people or they cancel you. Whoever that wrote that was probably a burnlootmurderer, but since it is shitestic, that is a given.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
From a burnlootmurderer point of view, that is the exact thing that should happen. You either help them genocide people or they cancel you. Whoever that wrote that was probably a burnlootmurderer, but since it is shitestic, that is a given.
Nah. Black racism is 100% taboo in the West. Here, the guy tells you from the start that he wants nothing but a wholesale slaughter. But if you kill this little Nelson Mandela the tower keeps going as before.

Cael

Arcane
Nah. Black racism is 100% taboo in the West. Here, the guy tells you from the start that he wants nothing but a wholesale slaughter. But if you kill this little Nelson Mandela the tower keeps going as before.
Yes, but you get bad karma and the media hates your guts if you don't side with him. You just got cancelled, FO3 style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom