Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Time to Conquer the Cold: Wasteland 3 Fig Campaign is Live

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; Colin McComb; Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie; George Ziets; InXile Entertainment; STASIS; Underrail; Wasteland 3

inXile's Fig campaign for Wasteland 3 has gone live. We already know much about the game from last week's announcement, so I'll cut right to the chase. In addition to the pitch video, which features Brian Fargo going on a journey to reassemble the Torment writing team with the aid of his wacky new robot sidekick, they've also put together a short "gameplay video". It's got cinematic dialogue, all right, plus a little bit of combat and vehicular action. Here are the videos and the campaign overview:

From the creators of Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera comes Wasteland 3! Following the critically acclaimed releases of 2014's Wasteland 2 and 2015's Wasteland 2: Director's Cut, fans have been clamoring for a direct sequel. Now we can bring it to you, with your help!
  • A party-based role-playing game, with a renewed focus on our trademark complex story reactivity and strategic combat.
  • By including vehicles, environmental dangers, and a revamped, more fluid action system, we are evolving on Wasteland 2's deep tactical turn-based combat and unique encounter design.
  • Play by yourself or with a friend in story-driven synchronous or asynchronous multiplayer. Choices open up (or close off) mission opportunities, areas to explore, story arcs, and lots of other content.
  • Your Ranger Base is a core part of the experience. As you help the local people and establish a reputation in Colorado, quests and narrative will force you to make decisions on how to lead.
  • The game will be set in the savage lands of frozen Colorado, where survival is difficult and a happy outcome is never guaranteed. Players will face difficult moral choices and make sacrifices that will change the game world.
  • Wasteland 3 will feature a deep and engaging story utilizing a newly-revamped dialog tree system from the celebrated writers of Torment: Tides of Numenera.
  • Simultaneously releasing to Windows, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

The campaign's funding goal is a steep $2.75M, though it already had over $1.2M from investors before it began. You can secure a copy of Wasteland 3, including Early Access, for as little as $25, with alpha access available at $75. You'll get a free copy of Underrail or STASIS if you pledge in the first 48 hours, and if you pledged to any of inXile's previous campaigns, you should be able to get a $5 discount on top of that. The campaign is running until next month, and the game's estimated release date is Q4 2019. Do inXile deserve a second third fourth chance at the crowdfunding trough, having released only one of their crowdfunded titles? I'll leave that for you to decide.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
BhNy3NE.png

:salute:

Weasel
Embarrassing in many ways. I guess it's more fun making cheesy videos and bullshots than the boring stuff of getting games out the door. Not sure what audience this is aimed at, but perhaps there's a silent majority of gamers who were desperate to buy Wasteland 2 but were put off by the lack of cinematic dialogue.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Embarrassing in many ways. I guess it's more fun making cheesy videos and bullshots than the boring stuff of getting games out the door. Not sure what audience this is aimed at, but perhaps there's a silent majority of gamers who were desperate to buy Wasteland 2 but were put off by the lack of cinematic dialogue.

Notice that the player character is not voiced. Aiming for the FO4-disappointed FO3/NV grognard audience (I'm not entirely joking!)

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fargo has money, Wasteland 2 was profitable, other KS projects were funded, he accepts publishers... and yet he wants the money of the players 3-4 years ahead? Totally agree with the fan Bubbles cited. This is a horrible, horrible preorder scheme at best now.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
One commenter makes a good point:

Isn't it possible that by 2019 the next gen of consoles will be released?

Could eat into their profits pretty significantly.

Starwars

Arcane
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait...

... what the fuck is that cinematic view doing in this game?

:flamesaw:

(might still back)

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cheesy pitch video, but I can't help but like it.
Also- holy damn! They're already at a million and a half bux.

I wonder if some of that's simulated.

Anyway, hope they hit it big, even if some design choices seem iffy.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They had collected $1.3 million from investors before the Figstarter launched to backers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom