Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline tiny and Tall : Gleipnir

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Anyone has played this totally unknown gem ?

it is the labor of love of one person, an artist, and I found it incredibly funny - LucasArt level - though on the easy side (there are puzzles still, it is NOT a Wadjet Eye game). Just like Primordia, they include in-game tips.

Highly recommand. I read that the translation in English (from French) is not the best but it should do nonetheless.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Bought it (because it's French and it seems nice) but I'm waiting the next episodes to play it.
That could take a while. The dev-artist said he had a serious health problem, and basically stopped ALL activity and posting and whatever in June 2019... I even thought he might have died, but he posted once late April 2020 to help with a bug, so maybe he got better.

On the other hand, he stated that he did tiny and Tall as a passion and not to make money so whether the game sells or not he will do a part II, health allowing.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Oh didn't know this, hope he goes well.
I'll play it even if it's not completed, but it's not the same.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Bought it (because it's French and it seems nice) but I'm waiting the next episodes to play it.
That could take a while. The dev-artist said he had a serious health problem, and basically stopped ALL activity and posting and whatever in June 2019... I even thought he might have died, but he posted once late April 2020 to help with a bug, so maybe he got better.

On the other hand, he stated that he did tiny and Tall as a passion and not to make money so whether the game sells or not he will do a part II, health allowing.

Hearing those words like "passion", "labor of love", "funny" and "serious health problems" too often seizes me with a sudden fit of generousity, so I just bought the game. :hug:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
How the hell does this game save progress? I finished the first scene in the workshop, quit the game, launched again and now I'm back at the start, and I sure as hell don't see any "save game" button.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
How the hell does this game save progress? I finished the first scene in the workshop, quit the game, launched again and now I'm back at the start, and I sure as hell don't see any "save game" button.
Well, it automatically saves whenever you do something (and automatically adds stuff to the cartoon book), so in theory it should have saved after the cutscene after the workshop tutorial buuuuut I quickly checked and it looks like it does no save after your actions in the workshop. I don't remember having any issue with saves when playing, so I suspect the workshop tutorial is the one point where the developer forget to put autosave.

Frustrating, but it takes less than 2 minutes since there are less than 10 actions to do.

Reported for Equip the ring harvesting.
What ?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Anyway, the game is also on itch if you want it without DRM (must be very careful with these games edited by Plug In Digital, some are DRM free but for some they're just sellinng Steam key there, but for this game it's good, or at least it really seems to be with a download link) : https://plug-in-digital.itch.io/tiny-and-tall.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I finished this recently and it was very fun. The titular duo are likeable, the writing more or less succeeds, and the creativity and love that went into the game mustn't hide behind a Ron Gilbert or a younger Tim Schafer. Also a big thumbs up to the charming soundtrack.

After winning over hipster skeletons and a bearded woman to my side, the adventure unfortuantely ends with an unfinished checklist. I hope the creator gets well again and finishes this Tiny tall modern masterpiece.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Finished just now as well. Game's pretty charming, but ultimately not very outstanding. Puzzles are nothing to write home about, and some of them are very obvious padding to extend the playtime, like the assorted maze-like sections, though they are pretty inoffensive as far as mazes go. The art and music are pretty good tho, and the humour maintains a high note throughout.

Two things I disliked: one was obviously the playtime - even though I played it on and off to a degree where I basically played one scene a week, it still felt very short, primarily because it ends with so little "accomplishment" - just two things out of the list of six? Meh.

Second is that mr Tall is not nearly utilised enough. Tbh it feels pretty dumb to me that you have an adventure game with two protagonists, and there's only one section where you get to control both, but even there they don't really get to interact to solve any puzzle. Mr Tall is more or less only there to be along for the ride and complain a lot. As someone whose favourite adventure games include two characters and their interactions (Goblins), I thought this was a gigantic wasted opportunity.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Finished just now as well. Game's pretty charming, but ultimately not very outstanding. Puzzles are nothing to write home about, and some of them are very obvious padding to extend the playtime, like the assorted maze-like sections, though they are pretty inoffensive as far as mazes go. The art and music are pretty good tho, and the humour maintains a high note throughout.

Two things I disliked: one was obviously the playtime - even though I played it on and off to a degree where I basically played one scene a week, it still felt very short, primarily because it ends with so little "accomplishment" - just two things out of the list of six? Meh.

Second is that mr Tall is not nearly utilised enough. Tbh it feels pretty dumb to me that you have an adventure game with two protagonists, and there's only one section where you get to control both, but even there they don't really get to interact to solve any puzzle. Mr Tall is more or less only there to be along for the ride and complain a lot. As someone whose favourite adventure games include two characters and their interactions (Goblins), I thought this was a gigantic wasted opportunity.
Well, thanks for giving it a chance.
I found the humor hilarious. I played in French, and the game was written in French so I guess a lot more of the humor "works" ; in addition I am not sure how well it was done in English but tiny and Tall use for extremely formal French with words from the 50ies to talk to each other, and way less formal when talking to other characters, and it really works well - it is peak passive-agressive. You realize they hate each other guts but are too polite to say it upfront.
I fully agree with the two caveats you mention, not enough "two characters" interactions, too short.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
By the way, the author commented beginning of September :

Here are the (concise) facts :
  • I definitely want to do a Part 2. I have a full scenario, concept art and music themes.
  • I haven't properly started to look for the funds.
  • I have, for now, switched back to being a comics author. The reason for that is unfortunately not really fun. Right as Gleipnir released, I was diagnosed with something serious. I have not recovered (and likely won't) but I am definitely getting more used to it.

Only now (and I mean, quite literally, these weeks) am I seriously considering setting up to start the actual part. 2 work, on my spare time.

Of course, you can imagine how sorry I am for that delay, but I had absolutely no choice. I am really grateful for the interest that first part (and my first foray into game development!) generated and the unbelievably positive reception it reaped. Only now, can I safely say that I'm looking forward to starting the work on part. 2 in earnest.

Thank you for asking, and I hope you won't be too disappointed by my reply!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Good news!

Gleipnir 2 News

Hello!
It's been a minute since Gleipnir 1 released, and it's still getting a lot of love, so thank you all!
Here's why part 2 isn't out yet:
· This is a one-man project (the one man being I), which is awesome when it comes to being able to put all of my little silly ideas in it, but a bit less so when life gets hectic and panickingly difficult, as it had the past few years both for the world and for me.
· I have a day job to pay the bills, which is good! but also time-consuming, so Gleipnir 2 has been a bit sidelined in order for me to stay alive. I've been able to do so, so far, and I wish for this to continue eternally. (The day-job in question is comic book scenarist and artist - I really am a one-trick pony.)

And here's some good news:
· The story for part 2 is complete, and has been complete for a couple of years now.
· The actual work on part 2 has started last October and has been going strong, mostly on my spare time. I have a full chapter complete, another one well underway, and a lot of Strong and Grand Ideas to shake things up a bit in the goold old P&C gameplay loop. Nothing too fancy, but a bit of branching narratives, multiple solutions, some roleplaying, you know. Open world. Night & day cycle. Battle roya- okay that's enough.
· I'm in the process of looking for a wealthy and regal publisher willing to allow me to stay alive for the development time, but in the meantime, I'm trying (and mostly succeeding) to get some work done on the project every week.

Thanks for being here, and I really -really- cannot wait to inflict Gleipnir 2 upon an unsuspecting world. Fenrir hungers yet, Loki schemes yet, and Mister Tall grumbles yet.

Much love,
pins

1658bd2df35b5dfe7d37e41e25e282031f4ce8f9.jpg
1e76eb2f21254aa3a905dd96c3bb8083c80cdd6c.jpg
a372fd9132b8856cd6bef0cadea746ab7542c4c2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom