Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tip for a space strategy

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I feel like going to space. Been a long time and meanwhile I've grabbed a couple of games in various bargains. I can read the Steam descriptions but no idea which one is actually worth it or not.

Any TLDR guidance the Konsensus can give?

- Pandora
- Interstellar Space
- Ixion
- Distant Worlds
- Nexus Sphere
- Terra Invicta

Hellraiser

Arcane
Ixion was ok, I remember you liked Frospunk more than me and this is essentially Frostpunk in space, except you don't have a cold/weather mechanic (although mechanically hull degradation does work similar to the generator in Frostpunk where you need to feed it a stream of resources and watch "the buffer" meter and degradation increases as the game progresses) and there is far less time pressure and you can stall/postpone key events/progression a very long time and prepare. Plus it has 5-ish chapters which each have some specific gimmicks/objectives and a bit more narrative in the CYOA events along with some long term ones IIRC. It's also a bit more value for money/longer than Frostpunk's main "campaign".

The CYOA however gets tedious at some point due to the length of the game and of individual events (where they have multiple steps stretched over time) and might lean you into save scumming or looking up optimal solutions online due to said tediousness.

Out of the other games only Terra Invicta seems to appeal to me due to looking like weapons grade autism and solar system colonization (too few games deal with this, I want to colonize jovian moons, titan etc. in games), but I have yet to get it. I think it is in EA still? I think I was waiting for 1.0 or something.

Last edited:
- Terra Invicta
I played Terra Invicta at around release and I quite liked it, but I stopped because a) It didn't feel complete enough for me and b) While it could run decently, especially in smaller solar systems, my old Thinkpad T430 was hitting pretty high temperatures with it and that game was likely going to fry it.

It has gotten quite many updates since the last time I played, so I can't opinate. I'm waiting more time before I try it again.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
- Terra Invicta
Played this when it came out. Had fun with it, but it also felt very unfinished. From skimming some patchnotes it seems they fixed some of it, some of the stuff is a bit more dubious.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
- Distant Worlds
DW:U has various automation settings ranging from micromanaging the most minute details of your empire to the game playing itself. The part I like the most is that you can custom build your ships by combining from a large list of parts, trying to fit them into the weight limit of the ship's class.

Great game if you like to micromanage, or just automate everything and watch your space ant farm.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Interstellar Space nobody? It's the only game from the list I haven't even heard about before and I don't even know how it materialized in my library.

I suspect Gaben to ninja insert shit in people's libraries just to fuck with them.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Interstellar Space nobody? It's the only game from the list I haven't even heard about before and I don't even know how it materialized in my library.
Do you like master of orion 2? Than it is decent i guess. Still worse than MOO2.

i'm the one to ask about space games.
they're all from mediocre to terrible, depends on how much tolerance you have to swallowing shit.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
make the lagoon blue, add brooke shields and we have a deal.
images

Dr1f7

Scholar
tbh eve online is the only game that does space right and it's not even close

Dr1f7

Scholar
tbh eve online is the only game that does space right and it's not even close
That's a space shooter rpg mmo thingy no? Not exactly the space strategy game I'm looking for.
not a shooter, not really an rpg
it's more of an online persistent server 4x pvp rts sandbox game
i think that just about anything any space strategy game would have is there in eve
worth giving a shot, it's very good
also just gorgeous and stupidly immersive

8.jpg
7.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
If you want your space gaming with a side order of autistic realism, there's Children of a Dead Earth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom