Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tips for a wannabe gamedev

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Streamers can be good if your game is good. If your game sucks, you won't see a bump. Just don't blame the streamer.
You're oversimplifying, since that statement is only true if your game is suitable for streaming. Some games are more interesting to play than to watch someone play them.

I wouldn't bother with streamers unless your game is sufficiently big or polished.

Actually, I wouldn't bother with streamers at all.

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
One tip that I could think of is write/ask less, than starting the work...
How much work did you put on your project since you started the thread?
Most of the time, you learn a lot with trial and error, rather asking around, failing is beneficial.
You try to deal with a lot of things, all at once. That seems a wrong use of your time.
Do it

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Pick an Engine. I like Godot. Who cares. Make a simple game. Finish it. Then you know more.
The most important questions have answers by then. Can you finish a game? Do you like programming? Do you actually like making games or just the idea of it?

What if someone wanted to make a game with non-standard game elements like the "odometer-style numbers" system from the Earthbound series, which hasn't been used much in other games if I'm not mistaken?

I never played Earthbound but if it's not copyrighted like some other mechanics are, you can use it but would have to code it yourself. That's not a problem though.

What about music? Is it harder or easier to implement compared to graphics and animation?

One of the easiest things to implement. As long as you don't want to do special stuff with it. Just playing music is very easy in the Engines I used.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
But copyright is another story.

Some old recordings are public domain, every third youtube video videos uses Dream machine racing queen or Jorisma other than that you should be very careful what you package with your game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom