Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan Outpost Release Thread

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can I download the menu soundtrack somewhere yet?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Playing atm.

MF are you still workong on the game?

The game intentionally takes a while to open up so you can get settled in first. It shouldn't really take two hours, though. Hard to balance that kind of stuff with the amount of freedom you have. You can actually do a lot, but you're expected to lapse quite a bit of time initially. What did you do before the first shipment arrived?

The free cam tries to prevent clipping into walls and obstacles. It shouldn't randomly change angles, though. Maybe if it is about to clip into more than one object at once or switch between cam modes or load a camera save state or something like that. I'll check it out.

Haven't heard any complaints about the driving camera, but I'll fiddle around with not following the vehicle's tilt.

Outlining the command center stations is a good idea in principle, but it's not congruent with the rest of the interface. Having things outside light up as well would be jarring. I'm not sure how much that matters, though. I'll give it a try.

Alright, hope you'll keep enjoying it!

Yes, I'm still working on the game. I've condensed part of an expansion I had planned into a new quest (or two) tying up those loose ends. It will feature two new areas, a couple of new research options and buildables and some new perks. Not enough for a full blown expansion, it will be a free addition to the core game. I moved the rest of my expansion ideas to a new project. It involved space travel and combat and I decided it was just turning into a different game.

Apart from that I'm still optimizing a few things. The amount of bugs reported since the last patch is tiny, but there's still some jankiness I want to improve. I think the next update will be ready in a month or so.
Can you also make it so you can run when you click an interactable objects ? If i am right, you can only run if you click a ground, for example going from bed to construction desk by clicking the construction desk does not allow you to run. I tried clicking while run is toggled by default, or double clicking my character still walk.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Can I download the menu soundtrack somewhere yet?
Yes, there was some red tape with Steam and then I got infected with Corona, but I finally managed to get the OST online. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1267880/Titan_Outpost_Soundtrack/
The bonus track needs to be remastered at some point and I'm going to add more stuff later when I have some time, like a version of the title track without drums. Not sure about the price, but that's what Valve came up with.

Can you also make it so you can run when you click an interactable objects?
You're right, clicking on interactables forces walking. There was a reason for that back when autorun wasn't a feature, but I don't think that applies anymore. I'll see about changing that.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
To everyone holding out hope for a GoG release: Not gonna happen. This was sent to me about two weeks ago:

"Thanks for reaching us again.

We've taken another closer look at the game and while we find it really fun, I'm afraid we are not confident enough to release the game on GOG platform.

If you have any other games in the future that might be a better fit for GOG, please let us know, and hopefully we’ll be able to work together."

I asked them to clarify what they mean by 'a better fit for GOG', but I've had no reply. Joke's on me for trying to engage with a boilerplate response, I guess. This is definitely a less personal approach than what they were doing before.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
There's always itch.io for non-DRM distribution, tho I guess if enough people request it on gog they might budge.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
I thought that was more of a proving grounds for short demos and high concept things like Soundcloud used to be for music, but it looks like it turned into a proper platform . I'll check it out, thanks.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/944180/view/5260723642061538584

This update contains a few minor improvements and fixes. One of the endings gets a proper slide for a rare state and another ending is easier to access.

Changelog

Improvements
  • Outpost freezing over has its own death screen.
  • Outpost temperature warning is now a timelapse-halting event.
  • Buttons on generator panel more responsive.
  • Singularity ending where Titan is rammed into Earth easier to access.
  • New Ending slide for players who power down the singularity and then finish the game another way.
  • Spacebar dismisses alerts. Can be set in the hotkeys menu.
  • Roster manual now explains what the tasks are.
  • Characters with the 'Caffeine Addict' trait can now get the inventory and sleep tutorials even if they skip the fatigue level check by saying they just need a cup of coffee.

Fixes
  • Leaving the heat off without triggering death exploit fixed.
  • Outpost no longer reaches temperatures below absolute zero.
  • Missing audio for reporting crash information to Karl fixed.
  • Rover would sometimes not trigger regaining its full speed after leaving an area of interest in Shangri-La.
  • Researching Strange Materials moves that quest entry for the 'Density' quest even if you report it to Magnus out of order.
  • Can no longer get stuck at the Nanji-Jidi dam control center if you don't have certain skills. A soft failstate option has been added.
  • The IPMS wealthy ending now correctly shows the player character even if the PC is female.
  • IPMS remembers the singularity if you don't disconnect it manually, you still have to ask about it.
  • A powered down singularity will not help earth, and you get the brown eco ending as intended.
  • Singularity state is now taken into account with the Megiddo ending.
  • Tom Parker world space avatar through the intercom fixed for Megiddo ending.
  • Can no longer prevent Tom from contacting Daisuke if you quickly click on something else.
  • Help Screen in Shangri-La no longer overlaps with other help screen if you press F1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ranarama

Learned
I thought that was more of a proving grounds for short demos and high concept things like Soundcloud used to be for music, but it looks like it turned into a proper platform . I'll check it out, thanks.

It's both really. In fact I think it's the one form of Early Access that works. Because itch io is a smaller platform you get feedback from a customer set that are interested in the betas and things that are a bit rough around the edges. While you still save the first impression for the wider audience who need all the pretty graphics and things to work perfectly lest their tiny brains explode.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
MF, do you think you'll ever build upon your work to make a similar space RPG, maybe set on another planet/moon?

Codex Year of the Donut
MF

Would you say the game is in a state you're happy with now? I know you've said prior that you regret not releasing it in early access so I held off on playing and reviewing it.

And completely tangential, were you aware there was a cRPG called Mines of Titan also set on Titan when you created your game?
Mines-of-Titan-1989-Infocom.gif

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Yes, it is.

The last patch only fixed a few minor inconsistencies and one nasty but really obscure bug. I'm sure a few more bugs will pop up eventually, but it's smooth sailing for most players now.

Of course there are certain things about the core design that I would have done differently with the knowledge I have now, but I'm chalking that up to lessons learned for the next game. All in all, I'm very proud of it.

No, I wasn't aware of that game. I only recently read about it here on the dex. Somebody replied that it was actually set on Mars on the C64 and somebody renamed the game when they ported it or something. I doubt Titan is paramount to the story or setting but I haven't checked it out myself.

Alphons

Cipher
Finished my first playthrough after 17 hours according to Steam. (Reloaded couple times to see different endings I could reach and got around 22 achievements).

Really glad that I stumbled upon this game! I've had a lot of fun playing with my talker scientist and already have couple more builds in mind.

Writing was good- really enjoyed finding out about agendas of all involved factions.
Outdoor locations were pretty and I enjoyed exploring them all.
Negotiation system was great, with it's different goals of varying difficulty, leverage and different arguments you can pick.
Characters were pretty good- credit to your VAs for playing a wide range of characters.

Bugs I've encountered (all minor stuff):
-when informing Karl about your findings in Shangri-la his voice lines don't play properly (game plays his greetings "What do you need")
-when choosing reward from Chinese, if you choose minerals Ling talks about food rations (You really need food?). Minerals still arrive properly at Outpost.
-after leaving Dig Site slow driving zone, Rover's speed couldn't get above 30. It fixed itself after I got to Magnus' Hideout and talked with him.
-going to Herschel with Magnus doesn't unlock it's corresponding achievement. Sending Magnus alone does unlock it's corresponding achievement.

One thing that I didn't like:
Almost nothing happens in 2079 and 2080. Aside from Daisuke's request about Van Hoorn, stealing a freighter and finally Megiddo arriving nothing else happens. I just put my character on Leisure and skipped time between shipments.

Some questions:
If I wanted, how do I complete Hoorn in my side? I had no opportunity to do it as far as I can tell.
Who can I kill for It's not the cold you need to worry about, it's me? Aside from Van Hoorn for Daisuke's quest and maybe Park and his men (he claims they'll die if you don't let them inside) I didn't see any opportunities

AdolfSatan

Arcane
If I wanted, how do I complete Hoorn in my side? I had no opportunity to do it as far as I can tell.
Who can I kill for It's not the cold you need to worry about, it's me? Aside from Van Hoorn for Daisuke's quest and maybe Park and his men (he claims they'll die if you don't let them inside) I didn't see any opportunities
Don't recall the first, but for the second
the chinese

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
To everyone holding out hope for a GoG release: Not gonna happen. This was sent to me about two weeks ago:

"Thanks for reaching us again.

We've taken another closer look at the game and while we find it really fun, I'm afraid we are not confident enough to release the game on GOG platform.

If you have any other games in the future that might be a better fit for GOG, please let us know, and hopefully we’ll be able to work together."

I asked them to clarify what they mean by 'a better fit for GOG', but I've had no reply. Joke's on me for trying to engage with a boilerplate response, I guess. This is definitely a less personal approach than what they were doing before.

Maybe you should make a game like this instead

https://af.gog.com/game/yiik_a_postmodern_rpg?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There's not enough drugs in all of Amsterdam.
Well generally amsterdam is lacking in that department even if it has such reputation. When i was there,i noticed that a lot of the locals dislike the whole legal drugs thing. It is pretty good city despite the masses of foreign drug addicts.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Hey, MF: bit of a silly one, but is there any chance you could bind the skipping of cutscenes to a single key, so it's possible to take screenshots while they're playing?

Also, trying to turn on the Extra Bright Mode causes a CTD, pls fix thx.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Hey, MF: bit of a silly one, but is there any chance you could bind the skipping of cutscenes to a single key, so it's possible to take screenshots while they're playing?

Yeah, no problem. Makes sense, I guess. I'll bind them to ESC and Space in the next update.

CTD on bright mode? Apart from adding a few lights here and there it increases the hardware gamma so it might be a driver issue. Does it happen when you toggle it or when you enter an area with it enabled?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron

Yeah, no problem. Makes sense, I guess. I'll bind them to ESC and Space in the next update.

CTD on bright mode? Apart from adding a few lights here and there it increases the hardware gamma so it might be a driver issue. Does it happen when you toggle it or when you enter an area with it enabled?
When I toggle it, the game freezes and then sends me back to the desktop, without an error message or anything. All drivers are up to date, but obviously it could still be on my end, who knows. Anyone else experience this issue?
Honestly though, just forget about it. I only wanted it because my screenshots came out a little dark.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I did some testing and I couldn't reproduce a crash toggling it on and off or going through loading screens with it on/off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom