Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan Quest Anniversary Edition

Deleted member 7219

It is really nice to see old games get supported like this (free for owners of the original).

Personally, I was never able to get into Titan Quest. I have the same problem for all the other ARPGs I've tried over the years, including Diablo. So much emphasis on click-clicky-combat, not enough story or quests. The game still looks nice though, and I'll always remember seeing those early screenshots and thinking the game could have been truly great.

Aothan

Magister
yea a new company bought the rights to Titan Quest and have since been updating and reworking a lot of skills in-game mechanics and all else

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wut. I hadn't even heard that Nordic were still working on TQ. Some of the changes seem pretty drastic. Welp, got the update free on Steam and I think my saves from the last time I played TQ are still intact, so might as well give it a try. Downloadan.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Wow, for whatever reason they went all hardkorr on this game. The shaman from the first quest is completely unbeatable until you come back later with a few levels gained. Most non-standard enemy variants (harpy crones, skeleton hoplites etc.) are more dangerous than bosses were in vanilla. You spend all your time gathering and selling all the junk to have enough money for healing potions. I took the warfare skill tree for reference.

Not sure if incline.

But seriously, I'm guessing it's not a planned design, just lack of competence and testing.

Anyway, the game is as boring as it was. Nice graphics and good character system remain its only saving grace.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
:shittydog:

Restored and improved multiplayer functionality, including new features like a built-in voice chat and NAT resolving for best multiplayer connectivity
Support for more resolutions, larger camera distance and scaleable UI size
Improved performance and general stability
Support for modders through new modding options and a fully integrated Steam Workshop
Complete balance rework with improvements to all Masteries, damage types, unique items and sets
Countless bug fixes and other improvements, including ten years’ worth of community fixes
Increased challenges and rewards for larger parties and on higher difficulty levels
Dozens of new heroes and bosses to encounter Improved enemy and pet AI
Quality of life features like higher stack limits, quick item pickup, a larger stash and a speed setting
Reduced cheating with curbed exploits, removal of test items and mod comparison in multiplayer
Steam Friend Invites
Steam Achievements

for 5$ on steam

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Bravo! There could not be any better news than this.

Probably the best Diablo clone ever has now been improved.

Why play anything else ever again?

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Worry that the vast amount of positive Steam reviews are published having only played 0.4 and 0.5 hours played.

Some negative reviews saying bugs and crashes, some changes to combat and a rather intelligent guy saying how could you possibly improve on perfection. Which is a really good question. Just finished downloading it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It doesn't say that the new release fixed the game's two biggest problems:

# It's tedious right up 'till the endboss.

# The endboss (and subsequent expansion chapter) is a Wall of Difficulty that puts people off playing the game.

But still, cool thing that they're supporting it 10 years later.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Never played this and started playing and it feels like a good ol diablo 2 clone,,,, i wish blizzard remade diablo 2

Aothan

Magister
Wow, for whatever reason they went all hardkorr on this game. The shaman from the first quest is completely unbeatable until you come back later with a few levels gained.

about seven Icebolts as I just found out, wanted to go Defence mastery first but decided to go Storm mastery for ranged abilities because of the general increase in difficulty

rezaf

Cipher
I dunno, as I recall it was less the difficulty of the end boss and more the horrible balancing of the different classes.
First time I reached Titan I couldn't beat him, no matter what. It was impossible.
Second time (with a different class) I mopped the floor with him - at least he was relatively doable.
Third time I couldn't even put a dent in him (I think it was a summoning based class).

Some of the minor bosses were also insanely difficult depending on your build, even in basic difficulty.

I wish there was another game like the original Diablo. It was fun in single player, had enough content to keep you entertained but not so much that it was impossible to get stuff without trading with other players.
I'm referring to, for example, gathering sets - in D2 and D3, you have to grind an ungodly amount of hours for a serious chance to complete ANY set. Lower level sets are completely useless this way, because by the time you grinded enough to get all parts, you'll have outleveled them with half a dozen different characters...

Another thing I loved in D1 and not so much in games like Titan Quest (basically all Diablo-likes after D1) is the world itself.
D1 was still closest to it's roguelike roots, with just the little village and otherwise a dozen (or whatever it was) dungeon levels, completely random generated, themed by their depth.

Even in the original sequels ... D2 was still random, but less so than D1, and D3 is static with just some randomized locations.
:decline:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
while d1 had better atmosphere, d2 overall had better replayability and with expansion it was ace

Renevent

Cipher
I can't believe there's people who couldn't beat the Titan lol...he was beatable with every combo (even pet classes) even in his first (and harder) iteration where you had to destroy his alters first. I actually don't know why they removed that, was a cool boss mechanic.

Anyways I started playing it again last night. I don't know though, it's hard for me to not compare to Grim Dawn while I'm playing. There's things in Grim Dawn that are vastly improved over TQ, like blood and gore, better combat and controls, quality of life improvements, expanded crafting, and technically better graphics. That said, booting up TQ for the first time in ages there's some things that really struck me at how much better TQ is in certain aspects. While Grim Dawn probably has improved graphics capabilities, the levels/environments/etc look vastly better. Grim Dawn's levels looks like a really well done mod in a lot of areas. Also, the music in TQ is much better as well.

I'd like to play TQ again, and almost felt the itch, but I probably will wait. It has workshop support now which is sweet, so hopefully stuff like the soulvisor mod get's on there.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Saved games also seem to work in the new Anniversary Edition. Good stuff.

Thought of getting Grim Dawn a few times - but is it that much better than TQ. Maybe Xmas sale.

Renevent

Cipher
There's things in Grim Dawn that have been vastly improved. Combat is faster, bloodier (TQ had no blood at all), improvements were made to the controls, you could rotate the camera, gameplay was expanded with better crafting, more items, etc. I'd say there's things in TQ that are better, too, though, as mentioned before the maps in TQ look nicer, are more varied, and are more professionally done. The music is also better. And while in GD there's more skills/higher tiers, I kinda like the classes and skills in TQ better.

Overall GD def is a better and deeper ARPG.

Doktor Best

Arcane
They both lack server sided multiplayer though, which is a shame because id vastly prefer to play in a safespace without cheaters (i know its too costly for the publisher, but a man can wish...)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Might give this a go. I've played TQ through quite a few times. Grim Dawn I don't like as much, partially because it runs like shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom