Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titanfall 2

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Why would it flop yet the same game from the same company (Apex Legends) succeeds?

Gee, I don't know, Sully. Why would than a 60$ single/multi player game that revolves around skill-based movement do worse commercially than an online-only F2P arcadey battle royale cashing in one of the hottest trends in gaming right now? I mean, basically the same game, right?

I don't get it, this game is great. Why would it flop yet the same game from the same company (Apex Legends) succeeds?

In what way is it great? The campaign?

I'm genuinely curious because I might check it out.

Personally, I was very pleasantly surprised by both the campaign and the multiplayer. The campaign has a nice length and variety to it, with arenas that utilize the game's movement mechanics (wall running and wall jumping that carries your momentum). I enjoyed the variety level design and found the banter between the PC and their mech companion is pretty cute.

The multiplayer I likewise really liked. The core gunplay is somewhat comparable to CoD (guns are easy to control the TTK is very very low), which usually puts me off instantly, but its in an environment where that actually makes sense - namely, everyone is going very fast, and the better you are mastering the game's movement mechanics, the faster you end up going. Its no Tribes when it comes to the complexity of its movement mechanics, but it still requires quite a bit of skill and a good aim, and there are some fun synergies between the movement system and the various equipment options you. Plus there are mechs and friendly AI grunts that add a kind of mixed warfare dimension to the game, which is nice - always cool to latch onto a friendly mech to make a difficult jump, or do the same to an enemy mech to throw a grenade into its engine compartment.

Game is pretty cheap nowadays and the playerbase is small but dedicated, so I would recommend giving it a shot. The game is <10$ on Origin right now and at that price its definitely a steal.

JDR13

Arcane
Personally, I was very pleasantly surprised by both the campaign and the multiplayer. The campaign has a nice length and variety to it, with arenas that utilize the game's movement mechanics (wall running and wall jumping that carries your momentum). I enjoyed the variety level design and found the banter between the PC and their mech companion is pretty cute.

The multiplayer I likewise really liked. The core gunplay is somewhat comparable to CoD (guns are easy to control the TTK is very very low), which usually puts me off instantly, but its in an environment where that actually makes sense - namely, everyone is going very fast, and the better you are mastering the game's movement mechanics, the faster you end up going. Its no Tribes when it comes to the complexity of its movement mechanics, but it still requires quite a bit of skill and a good aim, and there are some fun synergies between the movement system and the various equipment options you. Plus there are mechs and friendly AI grunts that add a kind of mixed warfare dimension to the game, which is nice - always cool to latch onto a friendly mech to make a difficult jump, or do the same to an enemy mech to throw a grenade into its engine compartment.

Game is pretty cheap nowadays and the playerbase is small but dedicated, so I would recommend giving it a shot. The game is <10$ on Origin right now and at that price its definitely a steal.

Thanks. I think I'll grab it.

I don't have any interest in the multiplayer, but it sounds like it's worth picking up for the campaign alone especially at that price.

JDR13

Arcane
I just purchased it.

It's only $4.99 right now for Black Friday. I think it's on sale through the weekend if anyone is interested. Bummer that it's only on Origin, but it's not a deal-breaker or anything.

I noticed there's a few DLCs for it, but they appeared to be cosmetic stuff. Am I right to assume they can be ignored if I'm just doing single-player?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I got it for $10 a while back and felt like I stole something. Really good campaign, much better than pretty much any multiplayer focused shooter I can remember.

orcinator

Liturgist
Campaign gets praised everywhere but after playing it it's super overrated.
It's by far the best CoD campaign ever made, but that just means it's a 6/10 as opposed to being a 2-4/10 like the rest of the subgenre.

The best thing about it is that it's not a scriptastic movigame like normal CoD but it still suffers from having the same basic gameplay. You can parkour past a lot of the fights, which was my favorite part of the game, but you still gotta shoot a lot of hitscanmen and hitscan robomen with hitscan guns in rectangular levels.

The parkour is also very easy and any attempts to do more with it just feel like gimmicks since the game is so short and doesn't have time to put more depth into stuff; you get a fucking time travel power at one point and the most interesting thing they do with it is have you do the same super easy platforming but make you press a button after each jump.

sullynathan

Arcane
Campaign gets praised everywhere but after playing it it's super overrated.
It's by far the best CoD campaign ever made, but that just means it's a 6/10 as opposed to being a 2-4/10 like the rest of the subgenre.

The best thing about it is that it's not a scriptastic movigame like normal CoD but it still suffers from having the same basic gameplay. You can parkour past a lot of the fights, which was my favorite part of the game, but you still gotta shoot a lot of hitscanmen and hitscan robomen with hitscan guns in rectangular levels.

The parkour is also very easy and any attempts to do more with it just feel like gimmicks since the game is so short and doesn't have time to put more depth into stuff; you get a fucking time travel power at one point and the most interesting thing they do with it is have you do the same super easy platforming but make you press a button after each jump.
the titan weapons are not hitscan and no fps has complex movement, at the very least, this one is fun. It's no mirrors edge, but neither was doom.

Gerrard

Arcane
The moment I saw the retarded bunnyhop+slide shit that was the basic movement in MP was the moment I gave it a hard pass. Enjoy your RSI.

Machocruz

Arcane
Just bought it because I keep hearing good things, liked watching the MP for the first game, and needed a straight action palette cleanser after the open world and stealth games I've been playing. I don't even know if I'll be able to run it well (yes I used the Can I Run It site, but I can often run games it says my card is too weak for), but for only $5 I don't mind finding out.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Just bought it because I keep hearing good things, liked watching the MP for the first game, and needed a straight action palette cleanser after the open world and stealth games I've been playing. I don't even know if I'll be able to run it well (yes I used the Can I Run It site, but I can often run games it says my card is too weak for), but for only $5 I don't mind finding out.
Game has solid performance. Max settings and never dropped under 100 fps and I have a mid rig.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you liked the Titanfall 2 campaign you should at least check out the later sci-fi Call of Duty games, i.e. Black Ops 3 and Infinite Warfare. The level design is nowhere near as rich but this is where CoD sort of got their shit together with fun high-tech toys and traversal moves like double jumps or wallruns.

It's funny because I hear those later CoD games (before WW2 and reboot) were much better singleplayer wise, and yet they were the games that sold so poorly Activision ran back to WW2 and reboot. That almost makes me believe they are decent, if normal CoD fans hated them.

orcinator

Liturgist
the titan weapons are not hitscan

The titan bits were not CoDlike at all besides the regen shield but I just found them to be kinda dull.
no fps has complex movement,
The problem with the movement isn't the complexity, it's the lack of challenge; they tried stuff like the terrain assembly plant but didn't go far enough.

It's no mirrors edge, but neither was doom.
D44M outshines TF2 in combat since you're not fighting stock modern FPS enemies throughout the entire thing.

It's funny because I hear those later CoD games (before WW2 and reboot) were much better singleplayer wise, and yet they were the games that sold so poorly Activision ran back to WW2 and reboot. That almost makes me believe they are decent, if normal CoD fans hated them.

From what I've seen it's the same cancer design where you walk through a setpiece while shit explodes in the background and there's no interesting uses of the parkour mechanics. Pretty sure all the complaints were with the MP which might have been not as terrible.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The problem with the movement isn't the complexity, it's the lack of challenge; they tried stuff like the terrain assembly plant but didn't go far enough.

For an FPS it's pretty great. Lots of quick movements and fast shooting, which has been pretty uncommon since analog sticks took over. I was often running across walls or sliding while shooting, running around corners to get behind enemies, stuff like that. This is nothing like CoD, where you slowly walk down a hallway popping moles.

Puteo

Learned
I don't get it, this game is great. Why would it flop yet the same game from the same company (Apex Legends) succeeds?

From what I heard, a lot of people felt cheated when they bought the first game and there was no SP campaign, they assumed the 2nd game wouldn't have one either. Apex succeeds because like all Battle Royales it allows low-skill players the opportunity to get in first through random luck and thereby gain a sense of Pride and Accomplishment without actually putting any work in.

D44M outshines TF2 in combat since you're not fighting stock modern FPS enemies throughout the entire thing.
D44M has no challenge or complexity in its movement which is the point I'm trying to get across here.

Yeah, in Doom you just bunnyhop in a circle around whatever arena the game has thrown you into, shooting every demon in front of you until they're all dead. Nothing can get you as long as you keep moving so there's no real thought involved.

Yldriel

Literate
I hear those later CoD games (before WW2 and reboot) were much better singleplayer-wise, and yet they were the games that sold so poorly Activision ran back to WW2 and reboot.
People keep missing out on games they would probably enjoy because of braindead hate bandwagons. I know we're in the YouTube era and part of the fun is liking / hating something together and sharing memes and clickbait thumbnails, but in turn that means I wouldn't use gaming "journalism", critical reception and sales numbers to influence any kind of gaming decision.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
People keep missing out on games they would probably enjoy because of braindead hate bandwagons. I know we're in the YouTube era and part of the fun is liking / hating something together and sharing memes and clickbait thumbnails, but in turn that means I wouldn't use gaming "journalism", critical reception and sales numbers to influence any kind of gaming decision.

I enjoyed the first Modern Warfare as a kind of whiz-bang interactive movie, but I played the two after that and the formula wore off very quickly. I'm not gonna pretend I can't enjoy linear popamole when the mood strikes, but the CoD formula since then has been so guided, simple and non-interactive that it really can't be enjoyed long in my experience. You're right though, I have heard some of the later ones like Infinite Warfare are better. The issue is they never go on sale for that cheap because of the multiplayer, so it's hard to give them a shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom