Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titanfall (Respawn shooter)

DakaSha

Arcane
Daddy, daddy, buy me another Call of Duty game!
-no
But daddy this one has TAITÊNS on it!
-fine
I bought it and I win while you cry
gt+Mfw+_d26caa91af0a790e55c35107681824e1.jpg

Ignored in less than a month. Good Job

Shralla

Educated
This is one of those games that I want to talk about but can't figure out what to say about it because it says everything pretty well for itself if you play it.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Lol I thought that guy is injailed? Gonna pay a german bro a visit when I go to vacation in NZ then :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can definitely agree with the beginning of this RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/14/wot-i-think-titanfall/

Titanfall is a first-person shooter with a story but no singleplayer mode. That means that if you play its nine campaign maps through, no NPC ever calls you by name as they remind you to reload, no dastardly villain ever traps you in a small container and takes away your weapons, and no scripted sidekick ever makes an awkward joke about why you never speak. Its story and its characters play out as radio plays, picture-in-picture talking heads, and brief pre- and post-mission cutscenes, but in each you’re treated as just another anonymous soldier. You exist only to be shoved out of a dropship in order to fight in brief, 15-minute matches of what are, essentially, dressed-up versions of six vs. six team deathmatch and capture-and-hold modes.

This is a great thing.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I can definitely agree with the beginning of this RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/14/wot-i-think-titanfall/

Titanfall is a first-person shooter with a story but no singleplayer mode. That means that if you play its nine campaign maps through, no NPC ever calls you by name as they remind you to reload, no dastardly villain ever traps you in a small container and takes away your weapons, and no scripted sidekick ever makes an awkward joke about why you never speak. Its story and its characters play out as radio plays, picture-in-picture talking heads, and brief pre- and post-mission cutscenes, but in each you’re treated as just another anonymous soldier. You exist only to be shoved out of a dropship in order to fight in brief, 15-minute matches of what are, essentially, dressed-up versions of six vs. six team deathmatch and capture-and-hold modes.

This is a great thing.

Meanwhile, in 2007, one of the reviewers from RPS had this to say about the UT3 campaign mode:

One of UT3's weird foibles is that all this stuff, old and new, is tied into a single-player campaign in which a story of sorts wriggles and blasts. Events are awkwardly wrapped around the deathmatch, warfare and CTF arenas, as if they were each military actions, rather than sports competitions. The characters in this tale of intergalactic revenge and mercenary alien-bashing explain away that they're playing tournament arena games with an occasionally verbal wink. The "Field Lattice Generator" that must be destroyed is the flag of capture the flag and as the characters observe "it looks like a flag... it's a flag." Yet the fiction persists. It's quite odd. A few people have expressed disbelief that UT3's single-player would be anything other than macho nonsense, and it largely is, but I think there's a sense of humour about it too. Deep down they know that placing the world of respawning and power-ups inside a classical science fiction story is, well, absurd.
I know people will say I should talk more about this, but I really don't think there's much to talk about. There's a bunch of cinematics that are very pretty, but totally inconsequential, and there's sort of a story wobbling its way between them. But it's really just the multiplayer stuff strung together, should you want to play it like that. Single-player conclusion: stark raving, but the bots can play CTF pretty good.

Deleted member 7219

It is quite fun in a brainless way. You just run around and SHOOT, SHOOT and if you kill more of the enemy than they kill of you, you win.

The capture the flag mode is a bit better. I find all the other human players fight each other while I run around the map capturing points, so I tend to win every single time.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Please explain how I can play competitive Quake with my mouse sensitivity set so low that swinging my mouse ten inches does a 180 degree turn if this is the case. Please explain how twitching A and D helps you in any way if you're chasing. Please explain why you're chasing the other guy instead of pressuring him away from powerups and taking them. Please explain how holding down LMB helps with any weapon that isn't the plasma gun, lightning gun, or machine gun.
Yeah games play differently. Surprise!

Please explain how Quake is "just" shooting people even though concepts like item timing, item splitting, area control, weapon management, strafe jumping technique, stealth, etc. are all well-known aspects of playing the game at any level:
Those are not concepts. Those are retards grinding every inch of a level to death instead of enjoying the game.

I find it really laughable how you are trying to pretend that Quake, the dumbest shooter in history, requires any kind of intelligence to play.

Hmm, interesting...
DefJam101 lists most of the aspects of the game that one needs to take into account if he wants to play at higher level of skill - beyond just pointing and shooting - where you actually have to use your brain to analyze (in a split second) the situation and come up with the best course of action, and you say that all of it is just "grinding every inch of a level to death", and the game does not require any intelligence to play. Isn't what you are saying is that he basic components of the game, that are required JUST TO PLAY (not necessarily well) the game, are simple (running, pointing and shooting), as opposed to more complex games, like a strategy game that require the player to consider many aspects of the game just to play it? If it's what you are saying, then Quake is one of those games that seem simple for a layman, who sees only the most obvious aspects of the game (running, shooting - doesn't require intelligence), yet there are tons of aspects that one needs to learn and think about during playing, if one wants to go beyond the "just running and shooting" level. Basically - easy to play (run and shoot), hard to master (analyze many variables of the situation in a split second to come up with the best course of action).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
It is quite fun in a brainless way. You just run around and SHOOT, SHOOT and if you kill more of the enemy than they kill of you, you win.

The capture the flag mode is a bit better. I find all the other human players fight each other while I run around the map capturing points, so I tend to win every single time.
Wow, I'm so excited.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So this game is kinda dead now, isnt it?

While I didnt buy it mainly cause they packed a third of a game and want 60 euros for it, even popamolers casuals are getting tired of it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://steamcommunity.com//id/makatakaba/recommended/292060/

This gripping drama gives insight into the controversies behind making the popular video game Titanfall. The story not only focuses on the developers but on the reporter himself. Seen as biased by his peers after the Dorito scandal of 1996, Geoff Keighley fights to overcome his alcoholism and shed some light on the new indie darlings at Respawn Entertainment.

ABOUT:
A sexual harassment scandal soon hits Respawn Entertainment/EA, and it's up to Geoff to put his journalism magic powers to the test to figure out what REALLY happened. Sex, drugs, murder, concept art...The world of video game development is a dangerous and erotic place.

CONCLUSION:
For only $2 you can't say no to this masterpiece. Heck, you've probably spent more on joke gifts to give your friends during steam sales. Treat yourself. This will definitely put a smile on your face.

:lol:

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I dunno if it's still on sale but this was on Gamersgate for like sixteen bucks yesterday, used my 25% off coupon (I have never bought anything from them) and I can say it's was worth the ~$13 so far.

Bahamut

Arcane
For a second i thought to buy this, but luckily there was a free weekend.
Downloaded, ran the game, stared 10min at a loading screen, then the game disconnected me, tried to enter a game couple of times, same result, uninstalled and was happy i saved some cash (because i spent too much cash on these, god damn steam sales)

This game really helped me to appreciate demos

Destroid

Arcane
For a second i thought to buy this, but luckily there was a free weekend.
Downloaded, ran the game, stared 10min at a loading screen, then the game disconnected me, tried to enter a game couple of times, same result, uninstalled and was happy i saved some cash (because i spent too much cash on these, god damn steam sales)

This game really helped me to appreciate demos

Your story helped me to appreciate that demos reduce sales.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Got it on Mexican Origin for 10 bucks few weeks ago, played few games and didnt came back. Its a AAA version of Blacklight Retribution with handful of players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom