Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TL;DR... in space! Star Saga 1: Beyond The Boundary [CYOA/board game/RPG]

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I had missed that we already possess 3 units of fuel, so I'm willing to amend my proposed plan a bit. Please see my above post for details.

Azira's plan is cool as long as Bee doesn't mind the heinously long update. All of a sudden, I feel naked without that pulse inverter. Thanks buddy! :M

Proud to be of service. :salute:

But does this mean you're amending your own suggestion, and by proxy, all the votes going for your plan spill to support of what I outlined? If so, the Bee can get working, as those two plans seemed to be the only ones fielded. :bro:

And I concur about the length of the update. I hope it isn't too much, but I suspect that we'd go back to Moiran at some point anyhow, and who doesn't want to hear about Phase steel and illegal arms and armor? M:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Your suggestion has merit, but we don't know what might happen during certain intervals so planning ahead that far might be folly. It's entirely possible, for instance, that something new and important could crop up at the seminar. We might need to break it up and do tools and seminar first, then wait for a new vote. Waiting sucks, though, since this game is fucking amazing. I think Bee has a general idea about these things though, so she might have to end up making some tough decisions on her own. (dramatic music plays)...:obviously:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Agreed. Think of my suggested plan as malleable. Should other information crop up during its execution, it should be open for change. I just think it prudent that we aim towards getting defensive equipment for our professor and his ship both, and as far as I see it, what I propose is the quickest way to do so. With the added benefit of getting crystals (for later trading in for the robo-trader and other neat stuff) and expands the lore on the tutorial planet. I honestly do not expect us to run into too much trouble at Moiran. :M

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist
I also vote for Azira's plan. If that is not possible then lets do this:

Let's do a combination:

- 1 culture for 2 tools.
- Seminar
- Go to Wellmet
- 1 fuel for 3 munitions
- 1 fuel for Laser Reflecter
- Go to Bugeye

1fuel, 2tools, 3munitions + LR

MMXI

Arcane
Sure, your plan is decent. But I feel that you would severely alter the trades you make and the order in which you go to planets if you knew what was for trade on Bugeye. This is why I highly suggest going there early on in your plan so you get to take in the additional information. There's some very tasty trades to make there if my information is correct. Having said that, you may want to arm yourself better before extensively exploring Bugeye, so your plan does have some merit.

Basically, flip a coin between the two ideas. I'd say Azira's is the more conservative of the two.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, not having played this game before, I plan out possible actions with what information is currently available. Trading for other stuff on Bugeye sounds entirely likely, but I can't metagame a game I haven't played. :M

MMXI

Arcane
Well, not having played this game before, I plan out possible actions with what information is currently available. Trading for other stuff on Bugeye sounds entirely likely, but I can't metagame a game I haven't played. :M
It's not metagaming to plan for additional information else the best plan after visiting two planets would be to go back and forth between them until there's nothing left to do.

Erebus

Arcane
I really like the LP too, but maybe Bee has run out of Action Points for this turn ?

MMXI

Arcane
Perhaps the full plan is being executed in one go and therefore the next update will be huge.

Maybe.

I hope.

Please be true.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, I'm preparing a larger update, it's just that I've been really busy lately. Today or tomorrow, I promise.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alright, let's have a go at the plan Azira proposed:

Trade 1 culture for 2 tools.
Attend seminar.
Go to Moiran.
Trade 2 tools for 2 crystals, then

VPKBVY (5 phases) Ask about Phase Steel.
F9ID7Q (5 phases) Visit the shipyard.
V9KDVQ (4 phases) Look for illegal arms and armor.
BPYB9Y (3 phases) Visit Dee's Pleasure Palace.

Go to Wellmet.
Trade 1 fuel for 3 munitions.
Trade 1 fuel for Laser reflector.
Return to crater.
Trade 1 fuel and 1 munitions for a Pulse inverter.
Go to Bugeye.

With one minor modification: we won't be visiting Dee's Pleasure Palace. Consider this a meta-gamey exception on my part.

07starsaga_0012.png

On Crater, we buy 2 Tools in exchange for 1 Culture (=> current Cargo: 3 Fuel, 2 Tools) and then attend the seminar.

Paragraph 104

Olarus takes you to the auditorium where the seminar on combat and weapons is just about ready to begin. The lights dim and the speaker walks onto the stage. She steps up to the podium and greets the two hundred people who are waiting to hear her lecture.

"Welcome. As you know, it is of the utmost importance that every citizen be able to defend themselves in the event of an alien invasion. Today we will be going over the fundamentals of combat. We will be covering both hand-to-hand and ship-to-ship combat.

"At the end of the lecture you will be required to take a test on the material I have presented. Your score on this exam will be reported to the Crater Defense Authority. Feel free to take notes."

You gulp nervously and start going through your pockets, hoping to find paper and pencil. Thankfully you pull out an old notepad and a pencil stub. Feeling a bit more prepared, you settle down to listen to the seminar.

"There are two different kinds of combat: hand-to-hand and ship-to-ship. In hand-to-hand combat, you fight your enemy in person, on the surface of a planet. In ship-to-ship combat, you fight your enemy with your spaceship, in space.

"In both types of combat, the basic strategy is the same. You must try to hurt your enemy without being hurt yourself. Let's call hurting your enemy your attack and preventing being hurt yourself your defense.

"Any weapon or skill you use to attack can be classified in one of three categories: contact, projectile, or special.

"An attack contact weapon is one you actually reach out and touch your enemy with, like a knife. An attack projectile weapon is one that 'shoots' something at your enemy, like a gun. An attack special weapon is a clever trick of some sort, like sleeping gas.

"Any weapon or skill you use to defend can also be classified in one of three categories: armor, mobility, or special.

"A defense armor weapon is one that absorbs the impact of your enemy's attack, like a shield. A defense mobility weapon is one that enables you to dodge out of the way of your enemy's attack, like spring boots. A defense special weapon is one that protects you in some other way, usually a disruptive maneuver of some sort, like a smokescreen.

"To prepare yourself for the final conflict, you should try to have weapons or skills in all three attack categories and all three defense categories. Weapons in different categories can combine their effectiveness; weapons in the same category can't.

"When you go into combat, you'll be able to use exactly one weapon in each of the six categories—three attack and three defense. You can use your best attack contact weapon, your best attack projectile weapon, your best attack special weapon, your best defense armor weapon, and so on. You won't be able to use more than one weapon in the same category. So, I can't stress too highly the importance of having weapons or skills in as many categories as possible.

"Now let us consider the question of which specific weapons in each category you should try to acquire. Your basic hand-to-hand attack contact weapons are the stunner and the piercer. The stunner delivers a powerful electric shock to your enemy. The piercer has a sharp energy blade that can slice your enemy in half. Both of these weapons are effective and relatively inexpensive. Fancier weapons are available, but they're more expensive and harder to find.

"The basic hand-to-hand attack projectile weapons are the blaster and the exploder. The blaster shoots an energy beam over a range of up to 100 yards and is an excellent distance weapon. The exploder launches a chemical explosive charge over a shorter range, and is good for attacking enemies equipped with energy-resistant defenses or groups of enemies. As with the contact weapons, you can buy fancier projectile weapons, but they cost more.

"Your basic types of defense armor are the laser reflector and skin armor. The laser reflector is a high-tech energy refocusing device that absorbs and partially deflects most energy beams. Skin armor is a suit you wear over your whole body that helps protect you from physical damage.

"For mobility, the most common items you can buy are a rocket pack and missile toes. The rocket pack straps on your back and allows you to fly short distances. Missile toes are worn on your feet; they permit you to run faster and leap farther.

"Attack and defense special weapons come in many guises, but are all relatively esoteric, so I won't go into a lengthy discussion of what is available. Buy whatever appeals to you.

"As you can see, there are many different kinds of weapons. How do you decide which ones to get? Without a knowledge of the specific enemy you will be facing, there's really nothing to go by. Each weapon has its strengths and weaknesses. A blaster would work well against a fierce animal, but an exploder would be better against a soldier wearing a laser reflector. A rocket pack would be effective outdoors, but missile toes would work better indoors. So, the bottom line is that you're best off acquiring every kind of weapon that you can. That way, you can use whatever works best in a given situation.

"Now, do we have time for a quick discussion of the basic ship-to-ship weapons?"

You look at your watch and see that two hours have passed.

"No, I guess not. We still have your tests to do. We'll cover ship-to-ship weapons next time. Meanwhile, remember that the fundamental tactics are the same for ship-to-ship combat as for hand-to-hand. Try to get weapons in as many categories as you can. Then, within each category, try to get weapons with different strengths and weaknesses, so you are prepared for as many kinds of situations as possible.

"O.K.—it's time for your test. Proctors will be coming around with the forms. You will have twenty minutes to read through the questions and hand in your answers. Good luck."

Although you did rather well in school, you were never really good at pop quizzes. You are not looking forward to this at all.

When you are handed your copy of the exam, you take one look at it and see that you are in trouble. The questions are written in a strange-looking script that you can barely read. It bears some resemblance to Earth Standard, but not much. It's closer to old English.

Guessing what the words are as best you can, you fill out your answer sheet. You finish just as the speaker calls "Time", and hand in your paper. Shrugging your shoulders, you leave the auditorium and go in search of Olarus. Several hours pass before you find him.

"Hello," he calls to you. "Did you enjoy the lecture? You certainly have quite a bit of learning to do before you'll be ready to fight the final war. You finished in the bottom ten percent on the exam."

You explain that you had difficulty reading the script, and ask Olarus why the Craterians don't use Earth Standard.

"Here on Crater we use the same language we did before the Boundary was set up—English. In the last three hundred years, the Nine Worlds built the Boundary and adopted a new language. Meanwhile, we devoted all our resources to building up our defenses. We don't have time for silly things like standardizing our language to conform to customs inside the Boundary. We need to get ready for the invasion."

"I see," you reply. It's amazing how paranoid these Craterians really are. "Well, I hope my low score on the exam won't disgrace me in Craterian society."

"Your chances of being accepted as a recruit for the Defense Forces won't be too good," Olarus remarks.

Just as well, you think to yourself, as you head back to your ship.​

Shame on you, Professor Dambroke!

Next we return to Moiran...

Paragraph 122

Welcome back to Moiran, that run-down, foul-smelling, sorry excuse for a habitable planet. Of course, with Phase Steel, ship improvements, and personal weapons all available on one world, the place does have a certain attractiveness. You can't help feeling, though, that a gas mask concession stand would outsell all the other markets combined.

You arrive at the spaceport without incident; your options are the same as before.​

...and trade 2 Tools for 2 Crystals:

07starsaga_0037.png

While we're here, let's also inquire about Phase Steel.

Phase Steel: A rare, super strong metallic material which can only be forged under conditions of extremely intense, perfectly distributed magnetic pressure. Phase steel cannot be melted, bent, broken, or otherwise damaged by any known method.

Paragraph 305

A ballistic rocket takes you straight to the North Pole Flyport, where you are met at once by an obsequious official of the Moiran Metal Works. You spend a couple of days touring the complex and hearing all about the wonderful properties of Phase Steel before finally arranging a meeting with a sales rep. He is all business, and in no time you are asking him the key question:

"Do you have any Phase Steel for sale?"

"Just a moment and I'll check our inventory," says the sales rep, but he doesn't move an inch. You sense he is waiting for something but haven't a clue what you are supposed to be doing.

"Ahemm!" the oily little man says loudly while rubbing his thumb and first two fingers together. It suddenly dawns on you that he wants money in exchange for this information. Without knowing the proper protocol, you try to nonchalantly slip him a bribe. Apparently you have done the correct thing because he smiles a greasy smile and opens a large ledger.

You must have given him more than he expected or he wouldn't be babbling away while he turns the large heavy pages of the book.

"We don't always have a lot of surplus phase steel for sale, you know," he chatters at you. "Our two biggest customers usually purchase everything we produce."

"Oh?" you respond, trying to be casual. "And who might they be?"

"Well, of course, there's Wellmet. They buy about fifty per cent of the material. Here we are," he interrupts himself, pointing to the ledger. "My, you are in luck. We do have some surplus this week."

You are excited by the opportunity to purchase some of the rare phase steel but you want to find out who the second big customer is.

"Great, we can discuss the prices," you reply. "Oh, by the way, who did you say the second customer was?"

"That information is confidential," the salesman replies.

Now that you know who you're dealing with, you instinctively reach for a larger bribe.

"...but I'm sure that you can be trusted. Our other principal customer is the Nine Worlds Space Patrol."

The oily salesman doesn't notice the overwhelming effect his information has upon you. The Space Patrol! That bastion of law and order! How could they be actively involved in Smuggling?

You do not hear what the man is telling you, something about the Patrol being a long-standing customer from the early days of the Boundary. You take a moment to catch your breath and regroup your scattered thoughts. Soon you are able to listen to what the man is telling you. He is giving you the price for phase steel:

• 2 Computers + 2 Food + 1 Fiber + 1 Tools

You need to decide if you wish to make a purchase.

You may select this option again.​

We can't purchase Phase Steel just yet, but I'll put it on our shopping wishlist in the OP.

Now to the local shipyard!

Paragraph 331

As you approach the large construction yard located next to the spaceport, you can't help but notice that the ships inside are being fitted with guns, additional hull plating, combat maneuvering jets and the like. Inside, your eye is immediately caught by an advertisement for something called "The Nine Worlds Special", the centerpiece of which is an ECM package designed specifically for avoiding Boundary guard ships of the Nine Worlds Space Patrol. If this shipyard doesn't cater to professional smugglers, then you're prepared to eat your ship. Still, it's probably just what you're looking for. Get your checkbook ready, for...

• Photon torpedos—1 Munitions
  • Magnetic deflectors—1 Food, 1 Iron
  • Auxiliary rockets—1 Medicine, 1 Fiber
  • Turbo navigation—1 Computers, 1 Munitions, 1 Radioactives, 1 Tools

This... isn't bad. What exactly are those things, though?

Photon Torpedos: Small but powerful energy packets that travel at faster-than-light speeds across space and explode at a predetermined target. (Ship-to-Ship Attack Projectile.)

Magnetic Deflectors: Powerful magnetic fields projected in front of a ship's hull to absorb energy attacks. (Ship-to-Ship Defense Armor.)

Auxiliary Rockets: Extra thrusters that give a spaceship more speed and maneuverability. (Ship-to-Ship Defense Mobility.)

Turbo Navigation: Computer algorithms that enhance the speed and maneuverability of a spaceship by carefully coordinating the drive systems, power generator, directional controller, and other components. (Ship-to-Ship Defense Mobility.)

Sounds nice. OP updated in case we want to buy any of these enhancements later.

Next we decide to look for illegal arms and armour here on Moiran. For that, we head to Tony the Shark's place. Sounds scary.

Paragraph 340

The directions you get to Tony the Shark's place send you deep into the maze-like back alleys of the warehouse district. And you thought the air was foul-smelling in the open areas of the city! The distinct lack of ventilation causes such a build-up of noxious odors that you feel your stomach heaving in protest.

Keeping all of your bodily functions in control is a monumental task but you manage it somehow. Soon you find yourself in an area of buildings that are almost presentable. You correctly guess that you have arrived at your destination.

Tony the Shark's place is located inside a relatively well-kept warehouse. It makes sense that the proprietor (aka 'Tony') would want to keep the area around his establishment policed and safe for his clients. You begin to feel better about being here.

Upon entering, you see floor-to-ceiling racks of all the latest equipment: personal body armor, hand-held blasters, starship gun nacelles, and so on. You spend several minutes just wandering around inside and looking at all of the fabulous equipment. Eventually, however, your presence is noted by a bulky man with the clothes and demeanor of a professional thug.

"Hey!" he says. "Whaddaya think yer doin' here?"

"Shopping," is your brilliant reply.

"Shoppin'," he says. "You think we got Brussels sprouts here or somethin'? We'd better go see Tony."

The thug leads you to the back of the store and through a door into a small office. A fat woman with bleached blonde hair is seated there doing paperwork. She looks up as you come in.

"Hey, Boss," says the thug. "This one came in to do some shoppin'."

She gives you a withering glance and you can see she now thinks you are some soft excuse for an explorer. You think quickly about how to get some credibility back with this hard woman.

"That's right," you say in your toughest sounding voice. "I'm shopping to see what I can pick up for my crew, a dozen of the nastiest prison escapees you've ever laid eyes on. I'm just lookin' around for now, maybe pickin' up one or two things and maybe I'll place a bigger order later."

Tony is looking at you with new respect and you breathe a sigh of relief. Your ruse is working and you'll probably get a reasonable price if she thinks you will place a larger order in the future. With any luck, if and when you return, she'll have forgotten your face.

Tony heaves herself up out of her seat and leads you over to a catalog of the merchandise she has in stock at the present time, including the "Class B" price list. You briefly wonder how expensive these same items would be on the "Class A" price list.

• Blaster—1 Fluids, 1 Tools
  • Neuron Whip—1 Computers, 1 Munitions
  • Missile Toes—1 Fiber, 1 Radioactives
  • Disintegration Gun—1 Computers, 1 Culture, 1 Food, 1 Medicine

Even more things we can't buy any of!

Blaster: A common hand-held weapon that shoots an energy beam over a short distance. (Hand-to-Hand Attack Projectile.)

Neuron Whip: An electromagnetic wave designed to interfere with the normal transmission of neural signals between the brain and muscles of living creatures, causing intense pain. (Hand-to-Hand Attack Special.)

Missile Toes: A colloquial merchandising name for rocket-assisted footwear, designed to give the wearer greater speed and agility in endeavors such as ballet, sports, and hand-to-hand combat. (Hand-to-Hand Defense Mobility.)

Disintegration Gun: A hand-held weapon that uses an ultra-high frequency energy beam to cause an object to fade out of existence. (Hand-to-Hand Attack Projectile.)

But as we walk back to our spaceship...

Paragraph 557

You leave Tony the Shark's place and begin making your way back to the spaceport. You find the twisting back alleys too much for your sense of direction and soon find yourself hopelessly lost.

"Oh great," you think to yourself as the noxious odors threaten to overwhelm you. "What else can go wrong?"

You should know better than to ask because you immediately find yourself in a torrential rainfall. It is over almost as quickly as it began, but leaves an extremely unpleasant aftereffect. The same way a slight dog odor is exacerbated by water, you find Moiran's extremely unpleasant planetary odor is severely affected by the rainfall.

Gagging, you stagger through the maze of passageways trying to reach an open area where you can breathe.

As luck would have it, you take a completely wrong turn and find yourself walking down a blind alley. Turning around brings you face to face with a mugger.​

Damn.

07starsaga_0074.png

Or maybe it's alright. :smug:

Paragraph 659

Despite the handicap of not being able to breathe, you find you are more than a match for the would-be attacker. Deciding not to let a chance for some loot of your own pass you by, you frisk the unconscious body and discover the mugger had a blaster. You pocket the weapon at once, mentally thanking him, and whatever god kept you safe during the fight.

Eventually you make your way back to the ship where you immediately strip down and shower for over an hour to cleanse the stench of the planet from your body. There's no way you would have been able to sleep otherwise.​

07starsaga_0083.png

Loot!
:yeah:

A free Blaster for us.

Arriving on Wellmet, we trade 1 Fuel for 3 Munitions and then 1 Fuel for a Laser reflector. After that, we fly back to Crater...

Paragraph 377

When you return to the fortresslike planet Crater, you are careful to radio the spaceport before entering the atmosphere. You notice that the planet is built up with even more defenses than they had the last time, and the huge smoldering chasm in the planet's side is as ugly as ever. Like the first time you came here, spaceport control takes over your ship and brings you down on a ramp in the visitor's minefield. From there, you spend a few hours in quarantine, and a few hours being interrogated under truth serum. Crater Security decides you are safe, so the guard Olarus takes you to the underground city.​

...for a Pulse inverter:

07starsaga_0137.png

07starsaga_0138.png

Our current cargo is 2 Crystals and 2 Munitions, we have two hand-to-hand projectile weapons (Blaster, Exploder), armour (Laser reflector), and a ship defense item (Pulse inverter). What we lack is ship-to-ship offensive something, but hopefully we'll be able to acquire some weapons for our spaceship later.

With that, we travel to Bugeye.

07starsaga_0151.png

Paragraph 136

From space, the planet you're orbiting looks like a huge ball of mud. It is warm and brown, and the surface is made out of a thick, gooey substance that is half-solid, half-liquid. The gravity and atmosphere are well-suited to the evolution of native life. Indeed, the planet is teeming with vegetation and small insects. The hot equatorial region is especially populated. There, the mass of crawling, jumping, and flying bugs is so dense that the lifeform counts are off your sensors' scales. However, this phenomenon applies strictly to the small bugs. There are no larger animals at all. Undoubtedly the muddy surface makes further evolution difficult, since anything too big would sink.

The only regions of the planet where you could consider the surface solid are the north and south poles. There the colder temperature makes the gooey surface hard enough to support heavy objects (such as your ship). Just as you're wondering whether it would be possible to establish a manned base in these areas, your computer reports that it has contact a small human colony at the North Pole.

"Welcome to Bugeye, fuel depot of the Ghostworlds," the port officer greets you over the radio. "You are being cleared for landing at Range City Spaceport. Please transmit your identification codes and prepare to follow standard guidance procedures for your approach."

In less than an hour you are on the ground. "That was simple," you remark to the port officer, "You must handle a lot of travelers here."

"Not really, but we try to accommodate our visitors as best we can. We're a pretty small colony, and trading's our only source of income. You're in Range City now. Hope you enjoy your stay. By the way, you're not allowed to leave the city without a permit. You wouldn't want to anyway. Planet's full of bugs. That's why the name, Bugeye. Unbelievable number of bugs."

"Yeah, I was noticing that on the way down..."

"They're a great source of fuel, you know. Traders like you come to the spaceport with commodities we need, and we sell fuel that we make from the bugs. Best fuel in the galaxy. 'Course, we do more than just make fuel here. During the Great Expansion, a bunch of Harvard scientists started the colony for research. Then, when the Boundary was set up, most of the scientists left, but some stayed. The research is still going on. It must be pretty important, since we still get scientists from other planets coming here. Some kind of genetic studies that the bugs are good for. I couldn't tell you much more about it."

You thank the official for his time and head over to the spaceport's lodging facilities, which are provided free of charge for the colony's trading customers. Your options for further action are as follows:

• OGFEIM (3 phases) Trade commodities at Range City's import/export exchange.
  • 8GHEAM (3 phases) Visit the famous Tavern on the Range, in the city's entertainment district.
  • OWFGIE (4 phases) Get an appointment to see Director Colmaris, the head of the colony's fuel refining operation. He's rumored to know everything there is to know about everything.
  • 8WHGAE (5 phases) Accompany a scientific research team on a mission to one of the reservation outposts in the equatorial region.

First, as usual, we pay a visit to the commodity market.

Paragraph 676

The import/export exchange is a small office in the city. You talk with the young woman at the front desk. She tells you that the Bugeye colony does most of their commerce through regular shipping contracts with the other Ghostworlds, primarily Wellmet and Supa. This business is carried out by freighters that arrive at the spaceport a couple of times a month to drop off various commodities and pick up fuel. Individual visitors such as yourself come to the planet only occasionally.

However, they are happy to have you visit Bugeye any time. They will offer you the same terms of trade they have with their regular customers. Namely, they will give you:

• 3 Fuel for 1 Culture
  • 3 Fuel for 1 Munitions
  • 2 Fuel for 1 Tools
  • 1 Fuel for 1 Food

OP updated.

We decide not to trade for now (this is a decision for you to make after this update). Instead, we head to the local watering hole.

Paragraph 670

You leave the heat of the afternoon sun behind you as you step into the tavern. The cool dimly lit interior is a pleasant change from the humidity of the outside world; you seat yourself at the nearest table with a contented sigh.

Looking around, you can see no more than a dozen patrons like yourself taking advantage of a lull in their afternoon's work to stop by the bar for a cold one. You nod pleasantly to the nearest person who snorts in disgust and turns away. Now what was that all about?

The bartender approaches your table—apparently they don't have waiters here. He asks for your order.

"A tall frosty iced tea, my good man," is your reply. He stands there for a moment as if to give you time to place your real order, then heads back to the bar shaking his head. He returns a short time later with your drink and you pay him.​

:smug:

You give the room another scan to see if there is anybody who looks like they would be interested in exchanging information with you. The table in the far corner has five people who are intently playing a rather complex-looking card game, and you wisely decide not to bother them. Three people are seated at various tables with whom you might be able to strike up a conversation. First you would have to wake them from their drunken stupors, though. This doesn't seem too promising a proposition, so you continue to scan the room.

Two women in miner's clothes are sitting with a young man wearing the frilliest outfit you have seen in a good long time. They seem to be making some sort of deal, because you see them shake hands before going to the back room together. Now what could that have been all about?

That leaves the less-than-friendly man who turned his back on you when you first entered. Not being the type to hold a grudge, you take your tea and join him at his table.

"Hot, isn't it?" you begin. "But it's not so much the heat as the humidity, don't you think?" With this innocuous start, you proceed to introduce yourself and ask if you can sit down.

The man turns toward you with a fierce glare. "I hate outworlders, I despise space jockeys and I can't find the words to say what I think of YOU!" he bellows, rising from his chair. He is about seven feet tall and you estimate he weighs at least 400 pounds.

You try to smile and back away; you are not looking for a fight. You don't get more than two steps towards the door before he grabs you and starts to take a swing at you.​

Good gosh, our second combat in one update.

07starsaga_0172.png

Pew pew pew. Phrmm. Hell yeah.

Paragraph 31

The man may be big, but you are smarter and faster. You evade his punches and strike back with a mug of beer in his face, a chair leg to his midriff, and a bottle of whiskey over his head. A cheer rises from the area of the card players as the bully slumps to the floor, dazed but not seriously hurt. Next time he'll think twice before messing around with a space traveler.

The next several hours are spent accepting the drinks the other patrons insist on buying you. Apparently the bully liked to pick on at least one innocent victim a day to work out his aggression. If he couldn't find an offworlder, then a local would have to suffice. This is the first time somebody was able to get the best of the big lug and they love you. Maybe this mud-covered, bug-filled planet isn't such a bad place after all.​

To each combat encounter, multiple outcomes are possible. This was a pure win scenario.

Time to see if Director Colmaris, the head of the colony's fuel refining operation, knows something about... something.

Paragraph 298

It takes you two days just to get permission to enter Colmaris' private office building, much less see The Man himself. You are quite taken aback when no sooner do you sign the guest book in the lower lobby than you are greeted by the Director's private secretary and ushered upstairs into a plush, penthouse suite.

"A pleasure to meet you at last!" the Director exclaims. You never realized you were such a star. Fortunately, your puzzled expression gets the point across, and he launches into a lengthy explanation. Boy, does this fellow have contacts. He not only knows who you are, he knows where you were born, what you did back on your home planet, and why you decided to explore space. He knows your ship's name, what it's carrying, and where it's been. His business, he says, is to keep track of space travelers. It's a good thing he likes you.

"I admire people like you, people who are willing to take risks to break new ground. I was much the same way myself in my younger days. You can't just sit there and let other people box you in. You have to take control. Anyway, you're no fool. You're on your way.

"Now, perhaps I can be of some assistance. I don't like to see young adventurers scurrying around naked. Stop by the fourth floor on the way out and pick up some skin armor. It may be a little uncomfortable at first, but you'll appreciate it when it saves your neck. No charge this time.

"One more thing, before you leave. Something strange is happening. There's a lot going on—" he waves at the large picture of the galaxy plastered across the wall— "that I don't understand. Maybe the stars are just restless, but hey, let's be careful out there."

The Director's desk buzzes and his private secretary enters with the next visitor. You are ushered out almost as quickly as you were ushered in.​

No luck in gathering information, but hey, we've been given new armour!

07starsaga_0180.png

Skin Armor: Close fitting personal protective gear, designed to combine a high degree of defense with a near-normal freedom of motion. (Hand-to-hand Defense Armor.)

This should be useful.

To top it all off, let's go on a research expedition!

Paragraph 216

Your expedition is headed by Captain Sandra Goffing, a biochemist. The other members of the research team include a geneticist, a chemical engineer, and a pilot/mechanic. The purpose of the trip is to collect data from Station E-2 and resupply the station for the next three months.

On your voyage to Bugeye's hot equatorial region, you learn why the scientists of this remote colony consider their mission so worthwhile. The many species of bugs on the planet are extraordinarily receptive to genetic experiments. Genes from other life forms can easily be introduced into the bugs, and the resulting effects analyzed. From these gene transfer experiments, the researchers have been learning a great deal about human genetics and the workings of life in general.

One of the most important unsolved problems, which the scientists are still studying, is to identify the function of an apparently useless gene in human DNA. The researchers on Bugeye have at least some understanding of the purpose of every other human gene, but gene 384-b is a complete mystery. By transferring this gene into the bugs, they have been trying to solve the mystery. However, they have been unsuccessful so far; 384-b seems to do nothing at all.

You arrive at the outpost, an unassuming metallic hut in the middle of an endless swamp. The place is swarming with bugs, some of which have been radioactively labeled for the experiments. You watch the scientists go about their duties for a while, after which your thoughts turn to going back to the city. The temperature is well over 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit), even with the air conditioners on full power. You feel like you're turning into the glop Dr. Goffing cooks up in her laboratory.

On the return trip, the expedition team begins analyzing the data they have just collected. You ask Dr. Goffing if they've found any answers. "Unfortunately," she replies, "384-b is as obscure as ever. However, we have discovered a way to improve the organic mix we use to speed up the development of traits associated with a transfected gene. Maybe we'll have some useful results the next time we visit the station."

When you get back to the city, you thank Dr. Goffing for showing you around. "Oh, it's been our pleasure," she responds. "We don't get visitors very often." Then you ask if you could have a sample of that organic mix she uses to speed up her gene transfer experiments. Obviously, the mix is a form of primordial soup, a rare and valued substance. She thinks for a while, then answers. "Well, I don't have a lot to give away, but I suppose I could spare a small amount. What do you need it for?"

"I am certain that it will come in handy in my travels," you tell her. "There are a lot of strange places in the galaxy, and concoctions like this can be useful."

She agrees to give you a small sample. You wish her success in her research and head back to your ship.

You now have a unit of Primordial Soup.​

Primordial soup?

PrimordialSoup.png

Primordial Soup: A biochemical compound that is innately capable of self-replication and may be caused to differentiate and grow into a living organism.​

Primordial soup, yay!

This concludes our journey to Bugeye, and I have two things for you to decide on:

1. Do we trade? (We can buy 3 Fuel for 1 Munitions)

2. Where to next? (Galaxy map)

Crooked Bee

Patron
P.S. You can also always suggest a trade route based on the data in the OP if you feel like it. Not that we really need anything in particular now, except maybe something offensive for ship-to-ship combat.

Erebus

Arcane
We could trade 1 Munitions for 3 Fuel and the other Munitions for Photon Torpedoes. Once that's done, I'd suggest going to Supa.

Thanks for this massive update !

Monty

Arcane
Yes, great update. I vote for:

- Trade 1 Munitions for 3 Fuel
- [Moiran] Trade 1 Munitions for Photon Torpedos
- [Wellmet] Trade 1 Fuel for 3 Munitions (would be good to build up our inventory a bit and work towards some of the more expensive items)
- Head off to Supa

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I see nothing wrong with the suggested course of action put forth by Monty.
What intrigues me is that we could potentially afford one of the cargo drone ships now..

We have a unit of primordial soup that we could trade for 3 of the basic commodities, in this case food. The cargo drone ship costs 2 food and 1 crystals. But we don't know if Supa offers food for trade, and I'm reluctant to trade away the primordial soup at the present, so my vote goes for Monty's plan. :salute:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Following Muty's plan, we trade 1 Munitions for 3 Fuel, then fly to Moiran and trade 1 Munitions for Photon Torpedoes there...

Photon Torpedos: Small but powerful energy packets that travel at faster-than-light speeds across space and explode at a predetermined target. (Ship-to-Ship Attack Projectile.)​

...and then travel to Wellmet to exchange 1 Fuel for 3 Munitions.

08starsaga_0039.png

08starsaga_0040.png

Weeell, 8/10 cargo bays full already. Keep that in mind when you suggest any further trading.

Now it's time to pay Supa a visit.

Wellmet-Supa.png

Paragraph 263

By the time you land on Supa, you already know quite a bit about the planet. Your ship's computer was able to dredge up a surprising amount of information, an event which is rare as you get farther out from the Nine Worlds.

According to the computer, Supa is one of the most distant human colonies from Earth. It is located on a lush green planet about the same size and density as Earth. The atmosphere is a bit higher in carbon dioxide than you are used to, but it's perfectly safe to breathe. The gravity is slightly below normal.

Most of the planet is dedicated to growing food, the major export of this colony. Without Supa, the other colonies might not have survived the isolation from the Nine Worlds.

Landing your ship at the Supa spaceport proves to be an easy task, due to the reduced gravity, so it is not long before you are stating your business to the local customs officials and then trying to find a hotel. Supans, you discover, speak a somewhat archaic dialect of Earth Standard, but you have no trouble communicating with them. Your first several days in the city are spent simply learning to find your way around; an abandoned colony does not mean the city is small, and Supa City spans over one hundred square miles. It is a sprawling metropolis, although rather sparsely populated. After getting lost several times, you manage to explore most of the important areas. You note the following possibilities for further action:

• HFAI67 (3 phases) See what is available in the marketplace.
  • XFCIU7 (3 phases) Go through the Morgue at The Daily Supa-Man, the colony's only newspaper, and see what you can learn about the colony's history.
  • HVAK6V (3 phases) Visit the Dry Gulch Tavern and see what you can learn from the natives.
  • XVCKUV (4 phases) Visit the Warpship Works and Bodyshop, near the spaceport, and see what improvements are available for your ship.
  • DFQI87 (3 phases) Check out a small shipyard that claims to have cargo bay expansion units for sale.

Daily Supa-Man? Really?

Anyway, we head to the Supa market first. (*wink wink*)

Paragraph 25

The sign over the doorway reads "General Store". This, you have been told, is where everyone does their trading.

"How quaint," you think to yourself, as you open the door and go back about eight hundred years in time.

The floor is covered with what looks like real, honest-to-goodness sawdust. The counters are stocked with gingham cloth, penny-candy, two-penny nails and various other outdated items with which no one but an authentic pioneer would be caught dead.

You make your way over to the sales counter. The ample-looking woman standing behind the antique cash-register(!!?) greets you with a reserved hello.

You respond with a smile and inquire about the trade market.

She smiles more warmly now seeing as you may be a real customer, and tells you that Supa has Food available for the following trades:

• 2 Food for 1 Crystals
  • 2 Food for 1 Fluids
  • 3 Food for 1 Fuel

Next up are Supa cargo extension bays!

Paragraph 313

You are interested in the possibility of purchasing a cargo bay expansion unit, which will allow your ship to carry one more unit of cargo. Your ship is designed to accommodate up to four such expansions: one to the forward section of your ship and one each to the starboard, port and aft.

Looking over what the Supans have, you determine that their expansion units should be able to fit on the port side of your ship. This suits you quite nicely, since you do not have an expansion unit fitted there as yet. The cost for the unit is:

• 1 Cargo bay expansion unit: 1 Fiber, 1 Radioactives

You may select this action again if you do not purchase a cargo bay now.​

We cannot purchase one now, alas. BUT WE'LL KEEP IT IN MIND!!

Really, we could use some more cargo bays.

Next up: Supa history!

Paragraph 688

"THE DAILY SUPA-MAN" reads the sign over the door of the colony's only newspaper. As you open the door, you hear a tinkling sound overhead. Surprised, you look up and see a small brass bell set to ring whenever the door is opened. "What a great idea," you think to yourself—so much more pleasant than the sound of an electronic buzzer to signal the arrival of a customer.

Inside, you meet a small, thin man by the name of Barney who is in charge of the back files. He is more than happy to show you where you can read through back issues of the newspaper.

It takes only a few moments to arrange some time with the paper's data bank, still affectionately called a morgue even in these days of electronic memory.

For a while you are content to simply browse through the contents of past issues, reading odd items here and there as they catch your eye. Eventually, however, you find what you are really looking for: an historical perspective piece published as part of the colony's 100th anniversary celebration. You settle down to learn what you can about Supa's history.

The colony was originally founded by Intergalactic Alchemy Incorporated (IntAlk), a huge industrial combine with headquarters on Earth and Heaven.

Heaven: One of the Nine Worlds. Heaven is a densely-populated planet whose once-beautiful surface has been almost completely paved over by cities. Remarkably, the planet is virtually self-sufficient, due to its immense automated food synthesizers and advanced industry.​

Supa was intended as a forward base for agriculture in this quadrant of the galaxy. In the aftermath of the Space Plague, IntAlk ordered Supa abandoned and all residents returned to planets inside the proposed Boundary. The Supans, however, resisted. IntAlk did not debate the matter with them, but simply cut the colony off completely, imagining, you are sure, that it would soon wither and die without the support of the Nine Worlds.

Although Supa was a long way from Earth, it proved rather quickly that it could be self-sufficient at providing food for not only itself, but also neighboring worlds who were cut off from the parent planets. They were able to trade for many essential commodities with the nearby alien civilizations as well. Supa survived the change and actually began to thrive.

You learn more about another Ghost World, Wellmet, which is easily the most important of the abandoned colonies. It is located closer to the Boundary than any of the other colonies, and could have been included with the Nine Worlds had the citizenry desired it.

Wellmet is now the center both for human trade with alien races (perhaps the reason they did not wish to be included in the Boundary), and for smuggling into the Nine Worlds. Information is said to be available on Wellmet that will allow even the slowest of spaceships to penetrate the Boundary. The Daily Supa-Man lists the Slippery Silver Tavern on Wellmet as the traditional meeting place for both inbound and outbound adventurers, as well as a principal contact point for the "Families", Wellmet's semi-feudal merchant lords.

Supa carries on trade with Wellmet, and has even gone so far as to contribute ships and people to the Ghost Worlds Defense Force, organized on Wellmet in the days when the Space Patrol tried to suppress smuggling at its source.​

Well, we've already been to Wellmet so this information isn't new to us.

One last article you read gives you some insight into the hardy nature of the colonists on this planet. It seems that IntAlk pulled all of the heavy farming equipment out when they left, even though the machines legally belonged to the colonists. The parting words of the company were, "So sue us!"

The colonists had been forced to return to the methods used by early pioneers for about one hundred years until they could afford to smuggle large equipment back out through the Boundary. Today, although they are as modern as any agricultural area back in the Nine Worlds, the Supans like to have the appearance of rural simplicity to remind them of the difficult times back in the early years. Hence the quaint stores, saloons and newspaper.

Intrigued by what you have read, you return to your ship.​

And finally, Supa warships!

Paragraph 290

The "Warpship Works and Bodyshop" has a few interesting improvements to offer you for sale, but from the looks of the place, you are not sure you trust them to do a good job.

You speak with a veteran shipfitter by the name of Kwan who is willing to join you for a couple of beers at the Dry Gulch Saloon and a little talk about possible ship improvements.

"I'd say your ship's good enough," says Kwan, "at least for exploring out here in the Fringe. Two-Axis drives work only where the density of space dust is low."

"What if I try to explore closer to the galactic core?" you ask.

"Well," says Kwan. "That would all depend on how you intend to get there. If you wanted to go direct, you'd run through a corner of intergalactic space. Ain't been a ship built yet that can fly without at least a little dust to burn, and there ain't no dust in intergalactic space."

"What if I followed the galactic arm inward?"

"Well, then you'd run into just as much trouble, soon as the density level rose too high for your Two-Axis drive. Pretty soon you'd just stop, and wouldn't be able to go any further."

"So how do the aliens do it?"

"Only been a few by here ever that claimed to have come from anywhere much nearer the core. They have something called a Tri-Axis drive booster that lets them navigate where the dust level is higher than it is in the Fringe. But don't ask me how to build one!"

"So what else should I watch for past Supa? Are the aliens dangerous?"

"Oh, I reckon you'll meet a monster or two, but most of em'll turn out nice enough. Just watch for the pirates and you'll do fine."

"Pirates?" you ask, and Kwan launches into a long and improbable story about his days as a spacer, and the time he met Silverbeard the Pirate.

Silverbeard: The infamous "Pirate of the Spaceways", a popular mythical character of the post-Boundary era who makes his living by attacking and plundering other spaceships.​

You manage to get a list of possible ship improvements available at his ship yard and the cost for each:

• Ram—1 Crystals, 1 Munitions
  • Nuclear Rockets—1 Tools, 1 Fluids
  • Stress Bulkheads—1 Fuel, 1 Medicine
  • Stealth System—1 Fuel, 1 Culture
  • Dimensional Eliminator—1 Computers, 1 Crystals, 1 Fluids, 1 Iron

My my what have we here

Ram: A ship-to-ship weapon that allows one to attack an enemy ship by actually crashing into it. The ram is primitive in concept, but highly effective in action, particularly if the enemy is taken by surprise. The device itself is a large metal plow mounted on a ship's hull and structurally reinforced to withstand the impact of the collision. (Ship-to-Ship Attack Contact.)

Nuclear Rockets: Guided missiles carrying gigaton-power nuclear warheads. Compared to more modern weapons, nuclear rockets are slow and inaccurate, but if they reach their target they are still very deadly. (Ship-to-Ship Attack Projectile.)

Stress Bulkheads: Extra supports for a spaceship's hull to help it absorb the impact of explosions, collisions, energy blasts, etc. (Ship-to-Ship Defense Armor.)

Stealth System: Technology that electromagnetically camouflages a spaceship, making it difficult for enemy sensors to detect. (Ship-to-Ship Defense Special.)

Dimensional Eliminator: A ship-to-ship weapon that folds one of the spacial dimensions out of an enemy ship, causing the enemy ship to flatten out and disappear. (Ship-to-Ship Attack Projectile.)

So please vote on three things, dear readers:

1. Do we visit the tavern?

Why am I asking you to vote on tavern visit? Because tavern visits in Star Saga always might go wrong. (For instance, if we had visited the watering hole on Moiran, we would've lost a random piece of our cargo or equipment.) On the other hand, something useful might come out of it, too... You decide.

2. Do we trade, here or elsewhere?

As a rule, we should strive to buy as many different kinds of equipment as possible while at the same time maintaining a good cargo balance. Also, we could really use a trading drone and additional cargo bays...

3. Where to next? (Galaxy map)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Trading proposition: Let's buy a ram for 1 crystals and 1 munitions, then trade 1 fuel for 3 food, fly to crater and buy a 3-cargo bay drone ship for 1 crystals and 2 food. Maybe trade 1 food for 2 tools, just to take us up to 6 cargo again.
This will leave us with 6 cargo holds filled, 1 primordial soup, 2 munitions, 1 food and 2 tools. But we will also have gained the cargo ship drone, letting us trade resources without having to revisit planets again. Meaning we can just focus on exploring and finding new equipment to buy.
Of course, having said that, I realise that once we get the cargo ship drone, we might as well hold off and not trade the food for tools yet, at least until we can get something useful that way.
Priority should go towards trading for that drone. It sounds mightily useful. :salute:

As to going to the tavern, sure! I'm certain our dear professor is up to the task. :bro:

And about what planet next to visit, we've done all the known ones, so I guess it's time to head into the unknown.. Nope! I take it back! Let's head to Cathedral. :smug:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Bee, is it possible to have more than 1 cargo drone?

If yes, I want to break the game with recursion:
1. On Supa, Sell 1 Fuel for 3 Food (10/10 cargo space)
2. Go to Crater, Sell 2 Food and 1 Crystals for a Cargo Drone (7/10 + 0/3)
3. Load 1 Fuel on the Crago Drone (6/10 + 1/3)
4. Send Cargo Drone to Supa, trade 1 Fuel for 3 Food (3/3)
5. Meet with Cargo Drone, unload 2 Food from drone (8/10 + 1/3)
6. Send drone to Moiran, Trade 1 Food for 2 Crystals (2/3)
7. On Crater, Sell 2 Food and 1 Crystals for a Cargo Drone (5/10 + 2/3 + 0/3)
8. Load 2nd cargo drone with 1 Crystal from first, send to Supa, sell 1 Crystal for 2 Food
9. Unload 2 Food from 2nd Cargo Drone, buy 3rd Cargo Drone for 2 Food and 1 Crystal
10. Fuck, it's getting hard to keep track of this, but, in essence - profit!

Erebus

Arcane
I think we should try and buy Stress Bulkheads. We'll soon have to venture into the unknown and space combat will probably ensue at some point. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we can get Medicine anywhere, except by trading our Primordial Soup (and we should probably keep it for now).

I don't think visiting the saloon will be helpful. Our next destination should be Cathedral, since it's the last of the named worlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom